My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My quest into microbrews...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Has anyone here tried Old Speckled Hen?

ZOMG.

One of the tastiest beers i've ever had in my life. Only found one bar here in LA that serves it (The Griffin) and I stumpled upon it quite by accident. It's in the creme beer family but its not as dark as say a Guniess is.

If you find this beer, do not pass up the opportunity to try it.

Here is the website if you're interested:

http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/history.html

i've seen it before...one place had it on draft and but next time i was there i didnt see it...i'll have to give it a try...is it similar to a Boddingtons?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Old Speckled Hen is tricky to find, but it isn't that difficult to find either. Three of my locals have it on tap. It is good stuff though.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Its similar to Boddington's in that it has that smooth and creamy finish. I'm going to say that it's lighter in both color ( I think it has a red tint to it) and taste. It's not like Boddington's light, don’t get me wrong. It's a full flavored brew to be sure but not extremely filling/heavy, like a Boddington’s.

It's got its own thing going on with subtle, very subtle, hints of citrus fruit not at all like a Heff but you can pick up on the taste infusion. It even has a touch of sweetness to it... pretty hard to explain but it comes together in one hell of an epic beer, IMO. It has to be one of the smoothest beer I’ve ever tasted.

I’m all worked up now. Going to the store to hunt for it. Brb
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Ha.

Found it at Vendome's here in Burbank. They seem to have all alcohal related things there, including a weekly Saturday beer tasting for 10 dollars which I'm sure to attend sometime soon. Had no trouble finding a store that carries it but had trouble finding the thing itself because that place is massive. They only had it in cans, the kind with the exploding floating widget inside.

It does have a red color to it. The head, as it sits in my glass right now, is about 1/4 of an inch thick, white, and thick with not many bubbles. The smell is almost... almost like a honey flower? And you can smell the malt. I don't know if an actual honey flower exists but if one did, this is probably how it would smell... if it was next to a malt flower.

The thing is, it's so smooth. If anyone knows of a smoother tasting beer, I'd like to hear about it.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:21 am

so i was browsing my local specialty beer store on-line...someone give me some "must trys". i'm more a fan of porters and stouts and cream ales, but i'm willing to give anything a try (although not so much a fan of fruit/wheat type beers)

American Beers you can skip page 1

imports
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:so i was browsing my local specialty beer store on-line...someone give me some "must trys". i'm more a fan of porters and stouts and cream ales, but i'm willing to give anything a try (although not so much a fan of fruit/wheat type beers)

imports

I've tried a number of the Belgian beers listed there (Chimay, Lindemans, Rochefort, etc.) and it seems like a good Belgian quadrupel is up your alley because they share a few of the same characteristics of stouts plus the nutty and subtle fruit flavors. Rochefort 10 is fairly accessible for a top-flight beer which is what I'd aim for. As far as stouts go, I love Peche Mortel and Mikkeler Imperial Stout. The Samuel Smith oatmeal and imperial stouts are excellent too.

I think in your neck of the woods, Bells Expedition Stout will be released soon. That's another fantastic imperial stout.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:so i was browsing my local specialty beer store on-line...someone give me some "must trys". i'm more a fan of porters and stouts and cream ales, but i'm willing to give anything a try (although not so much a fan of fruit/wheat type beers)

imports

I've tried a number of the Belgian beers listed there (Chimay, Lindemans, Rochefort, etc.) and it seems like a good Belgian quadrupel is up your alley because they share a few of the same characteristics of stouts plus the nutty and subtle fruit flavors. Rochefort 10 is fairly accessible for a top-flight beer which is what I'd aim for. As far as stouts go, I love Peche Mortel and Mikkeler Imperial Stout. The Samuel Smith oatmeal and imperial stouts are excellent too.

I think in your neck of the woods, Bells Expedition Stout will be released soon. That's another fantastic imperial stout.

cool...i will check them out. i've had the Sam Smith's at some point...well, a Taddy Porter and i believe the Oatmeal as well. i'm not a huge Bells fan but i'll give it a try. they had a nice Stone display last time i was there so i may pick up some of those as well (probably the Smoked Porter and Imperial Russian)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

imports

cool...i will check them out. i've had the Sam Smith's at some point...well, a Taddy Porter and i believe the Oatmeal as well. i'm not a huge Bells fan but i'll give it a try. they had a nice Stone display last time i was there so i may pick up some of those as well (probably the Smoked Porter and Imperial Russian)

The Stone RIS is definitely one of my top 5 favorite stouts. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Bells Expedition and Founders' Imperial and Breakfast Stout are among the best stouts I have ever had. Bells Kalamazoo not so much but it's still solid and would drink it out of the tap.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Went to the Deschutes pub in Bend over the weekend, much to my chagrin, they no longer had the XXI on tap, so I settled for the Abyss. A couple of those, and you're good to go.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk