My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Just got back from doing some beer shopping.
I picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Head 90 min. (Last one they had)

Chimay Triple (Cinq Cents) , 25.4 fl.oz bottle

For my football draft tomorrow I picked up a 6pack of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale. The dog on the lable resembles mine and the name of my FFB team is the Hounds so it's appropriate for tommorrow.

I'll let you guys know what I think of them after I drink 'em.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Just got back from doing some beer shopping.
I picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Head 90 min. (Last one they had)

Chimay Triple (Cinq Cents) , 25.4 fl.oz bottle

For my football draft tomorrow I picked up a 6pack of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale. The dog on the lable resembles mine and the name of my FFB team is the Hounds so it's appropriate for tommorrow.

I'll let you guys know what I think of them after I drink 'em.

Careful with the 90 minute it'll knock your socks off
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 pm

Here is review number 2...

As a side note first, I was wondering if Coppermine could send me his spreadsheet so I can see it and steal it and use it for my own quest.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

The color was probably the perftect color for a beer IMO. It was a vibrant orange looking color. I personally like beer that is this color. I like it to be a little see through, but full enough to not look like water. It doesn't mean I prefer Ale's (I like them a lot), I just prefer their look and this beer had a perfect color to me.

The smell was that of a small forest. Lol, I kid, but it did have an almost pine scent to it. You could smell the sweetness of the beer as well.

As for the taste, this is where it excelled. I really enjoyed this beer. It was full of hopiness which gave it some bitterness, but it worked really well with its sweetness. Perfect balance in a Pale Ale if you ask me. I think I could taste a little bit of lemon or orange as well, but it didn't taste fruity. Maybe they use some grinds? I dunno.

Overall, I loved this beer. I am surprised that I have never tried this beer before. Living in California my entire life this beer is available at any liquor store or grocery store and most restaraunts. I always thought this was a macro beer. Anyways, I am glad I gave this a go.

4.25/5[/img]
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:34 am

I just finished drinking 2 bottles of Dogfish Head 90Min.
Sorry to say but I didn't really like it.
The taste is too complicated. Too many flavors going on. On top of that you can taste the alcohol in it. I really don't see what all the rage is about this beer. I've tried the 60 min and like it when eating seafood. The 90 minute I can't seem to pair with any food much less drink it alone.

Does anyone want the 2 I have left from my 4 pack?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:26 am

Sierra Nevada has some good beers, but god...their Pale Ale is horrible. I used to live near Chico, CA, where it's brewed, and that's the ONLY beer anyone ever drank there when I used to go to parties and bars. Horrible beer. But I seem to be the only person who thinks that way.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:18 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Sierra Nevada has some good beers, but god...their Pale Ale is horrible. I used to live near Chico, CA, where it's brewed, and that's the ONLY beer anyone ever drank there when I used to go to parties and bars. Horrible beer. But I seem to be the only person who thinks that way.

Well, take comfort in knowing that I too do not like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I'm on a college budget, but for my birthday my friends went out and bought about 20 different kind of beers. Pyramid Hefe, Blue Moon, and Fat Tire won me over. Haven't delved too much into other beers yet, but I'm definitely interested in knowing which beers to try.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:24 am

davidmarver wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Sierra Nevada has some good beers, but god...their Pale Ale is horrible. I used to live near Chico, CA, where it's brewed, and that's the ONLY beer anyone ever drank there when I used to go to parties and bars. Horrible beer. But I seem to be the only person who thinks that way.

I'm on a college budget, but for my birthday my friends went out and bought about 20 different kind of beers. Pyramid Hefe, Blue Moon, and Fat Tire won me over. Haven't delved too much into other beers yet, but I'm definitely interested in knowing which beers to try.

Pyramid Hef :-t
Blue Moon :-t :-t
Fat Tire ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:15 pm

davidmarver wrote:

This makes sense... a lot of people don't care for Pale Ale and that's understandable; I used to hate them in fact and it really took some doing for them to win me over. They're very hoppy and a little bitter; some people describe them as tasting like pine cones. I hated Sierra Nevada Pale Ale too, but ever since my own beer quest started 8 months ago, I've had so much beer, I'm starting to develop an appreciation for each style. A lot of beer people love Russian Imperial Stouts, but they're still growing on me.

Marver, it sounds like you're a big fan of the wheat beer (witbiers, weizens and white ales). Pyramid I believe makes all weizens and blue moon is a great witbier "starter." I say that because it's one of the more widely available unique styles out there, mainly because Coors bought Blue Moon a few years ago... but don't let that deter you, Blue Moon is awesome! Nonetheless, i've converted some miller-lite-only drinkers to micros starting with blue moon. But you have to play to people's tastes and a lot of people understandably don't care for pale ales and IPA's.

Plus, with wheat beers, many bars throw in a lemon or oragne slice; some beer snobs reject this because it "affects the head" but come on, I think it's unique.

Fat Tire is an Amber Ale which is always a great style to go with.

And a note on 90 Minute IPA... that is a complex beer, any beer that is over 7% usually is and can be a tough sell. It's one of my personal favorites and personally I think the 90 Min goes great with food, especially spicy food or BBQ.

What's great about beer though is that there's a style out there for everyone.

Phatferd, I sent you a PM about the beer spreadsheet.

As for last night, i tried a few new beers.

A local bar had Hoegaarden White on-tap... it's a true Belgian witbier and it was so light colored and cloudy, it was almost white... very unusual and citrusy. I liked it.

I also got to try my first cask-conditioned ale!

Cask-conditioned beer, often referred to as 'real ale', is brewed from only traditional ingredients and allowed to mature naturally.

The unfiltered, unpasteurised beer still contains live yeast, which continues conditioning the beer in the cask (known as 'secondary fermentation'); this process creates a gentle, natural CO2 carbonation and allows malt and hop flavours to develop, resulting in a richer tasting drink with more character than standard keg ('brewery-conditioned') beers.

Real ale is always served without any extraneous gas, usually by manually pulling it up from the cellar with a handpump (also known as a 'beer engine'). This is the traditional way of brewing and serving beer; only a few decades ago did filtered, pasteurised, chilled beer served by gas become normal.

The only place in the world where cask-conditioned beer is still commonly available is Britain.

A local bar has a cask-conditioned beer available every month, and this month is was the local favorite from Harrisburg Troeg's Hopback Ale. It was literally hand pumped into the glass and very foamy. The texture of the beer itself was completely different than the same version of this beer I've had from a bottle. It's also served "warm" or about 48 degrees to be exact. If you find cask conditioned beer on tap somewhere, give it a try! ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikhayl » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Phatferd wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Blue Moon :-t :-t

Furthermore, it's made by Coor's brewing company, which I boycott. Never liked Sierra Nevada PA...too bland.

Fireball,

If you're having trouble with the Dogfishhead IPA, try it supercold. It's delicious that way and it will tone down the palate if it's overwhelming you. With time, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it at a cool 50 degrees though.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:59 am

Coppermine wrote:
A local bar had Hoegaarden White on-tap... it's a true Belgian witbier and it was so light colored and cloudy, it was almost white... very unusual and citrusy. I liked it.

I'm a big fan of Hoegaarden myself. I like Wheat/Weise/Weizen/Wit/White beer myself. If you enjoyed the Hoe you should try Konig-Ludwig's version. Paulaner is up there as well. Blue Moon really doesn't come close to either of those imo. But like you said, it's a good beer to expand someone's palate with.

Tried out Smuttynose - Old Brown Dog Ale today. Drank a few at my FFB draft. A little bit of a bitter after taste but all in all pretty simple. A good drinkable hanging out brown ale.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk