My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:06 am

Ah, another beer thread. :-) Just today I was seriously thinking about what beer I want to drink at my FFB draft this weekend.

I just finished a Sammy Octoberfest that hit the spot.

This summer I did the lobsterfest/clam bake thing a few times. Dogfish Head complimented lobster, clams and mussles perfectly.

I want to check out BA.com. Thanks for the link.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:46 am

OK, I got off to a head start tonight because I was just too excited. I decided to have the Anchor Porter so I could save all of the New Belgiums for Saturday.

Here is my review. Like anyone is interested...

It poured a dark brown with a hint of amber with a tan head that was rather large. The head, however, dissapeared quicker than I thought it would and left a small amount of latency. The head was a tan color, much lighter than the body.

It smelled like a nice mixture of Coffee and Chocolate. The smell was appealing and kind of sweet.

Ahhh, now the taste. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be based on the smell. It did live up to it's coffee and chocolate scent though. Along with the chocolate and coffee flavors there were some fruit flavors in it, however, I can't pin down the exact flavors. I thought it tasted good and the flavors complimented each other well. It definately isn't a beer you want to drink an entire six pack at one sitting, but it's nice to have with a meal. I am thinking red meat like a nice steak would taste good with this beer. As a sidenote, it has a very similar taste to a Rogue Hazlenut beer I once had a couple sips of.

Overall on a scale of 5, I would give this beer a 3.75.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:57 am

Phatferd wrote:OK, I got off to a head start tonight because I was just too excited. I decided to have the Anchor Porter so I could save all of the New Belgiums for Saturday.

It poured a dark brown with a hint of amber with a tan head that was rather large. The head, however, dissapeared quicker than I thought it would and left a small amount of latency. The head was a tan color, much lighter than the body.

It smelled like a nice mixture of Coffee and Chocolate. The smell was appealing and kind of sweet.

Ahhh, now the taste. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be based on the smell. It did live up to it's coffee and chocolate scent though. Along with the chocolate and coffee flavors there were some fruit flavors in it, however, I can't pin down the exact flavors. I thought it tasted good and the flavors complimented each other well. It definately isn't a beer you want to drink an entire six pack at one sitting, but it's nice to have with a meal. I am thinking red meat like a nice steak would taste good with this beer. As a sidenote, it has a very similar taste to a Rogue Hazlenut beer I once had a couple sips of.

Black Butte Porter is a 4.5 ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:OK, I got off to a head start tonight because I was just too excited. I decided to have the Anchor Porter so I could save all of the New Belgiums for Saturday.

I found it at this place called "Cost Plus World Market" last night they sell it in singles for $1.79. I will get it for next week.

I also found Coppermines favorites there. The 90 min Dogfish Head IPA and La Fin du Monde. The La Fin du Monde is $7 for a 22oz bottle, so it might be a little while before I splurge $7 for one beer, but I definately will.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:07 pm

Phatferd wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I found it at this place called "Cost Plus World Market" last night they sell it in singles for $1.79. I will get it for next week.

I also found Coppermines favorites there. The 90 min Dogfish Head IPA and La Fin du Monde. The La Fin du Monde is $7 for a 22oz bottle, so it might be a little while before I splurge $7 for one beer, but I definately will.

If you find the Maharaja splurge on it.

But remember you will be drunk after one ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:32 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I've got to find this beer...

Found it!

An American Double IPA from Avery Brewing Company in Colorado.

9.7% ABV and pulled an 89 on BA.com... very impressive.

BA.com wrote:"Deep orange hue, excellent lacing. Semi-pungent citric oil hop aroma, hints of pineapple & granny smith apple skin as well. Super smooth and creamy viscous mouth feel. Hay like, citric zest, toasted malt, fruit with passion fruit and a fruit punch like flavor. Soft yet muscular bitterness ... lots of hop petal flavor, aka "grassy". Warming alcohol has no problem showing off a bit.

A "kick in the pants Double IPA"."

Looking through my beer list, the strongest beer I've tried yet is a tie between two beers from a brewery near Philadelphia called Weyerbacher... they're big on barley wines, the strongest style of beer.

The aptly named Blithering Idiot and the even better tasting Insanity are English and American Barley Wines respectively and sport a kick-you-in-the-pants 11.1% ABV.

With beer though, anything over 8 or 9 is going to kick you in the pants anyway.

Currently, I'm drinking a beer from the "worlds oldest brewery" in germany, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel... that's a mouthfull, but the beer is fantastic. I prefer American micros, but you can't beat a good German beer brewed to the standards of the Beer Purity Law... way to go Germany.

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:52 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I found it at a local liquor store by campus!! It's $7 for a 22oz, so I am going to pick it up the next time I plan on going to a buddies house to have a couple beers and intend to get drunk.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:10 pm

I wish I knew of a good local place to try some of these brews... :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:18 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I wish I knew of a good local place to try some of these brews... :-?

Where do you live?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Phatferd wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I wish I knew of a good local place to try some of these brews... :-?

Where do you live?

On Long Island, NY, about 30 minutes east of Manhattan.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk