My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:I have access to most of the Mendocino beers you mentioned, but not many of the others. I'm really missing out... I'm going to have to move all over the country just to fulfill my microbrew quest. I'd like to do some beer trading, but living PA, it's expressly forbidden (not that I care, I'd risk it for good beer).

You've got to find something from Deschutes. My favorites are the Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, but I have yet to be let down by any of their beers. They are fairly wide distribution, they must be available somewhere around you.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:this is making me want to take a trip to the local store that carries all these microbrews...but i dont drink at home that often...maybe i can work it into my Sunday NFL routine though

That, and/or, next time you're at the bar, ask to see the beer list... you might be surprised at what some places carry.

These days, if a bar doesn't carry any micros, I'm likely done with that bar... when i was in college it was a totally differnet story... $1.25 Miller High Life Pitchers at Maxies was a weekly necessity every Thursday night.

But, now that I work, i figure beer is something worth spending money on.

i've had my fair share of beer trying, but if i'm just going out drinking i still prefer a good old Coors Light, but if i'm out for a nice dinner i'll try some different beers

i've also gotten quite a few bad beers too though, so that's also been somewhat of a deterrant
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Coppermine wrote:
These days, if a bar doesn't carry any micros, I'm likely done with that bar... when i was in college it was a totally differnet story... $1.25 Miller High Life Pitchers at Maxies was a weekly necessity every Thursday night.

these days i'm the opposite. i used to go to the micro brews and sample their stuff but 9 out of 10 tasted like ass and was 2-3 times as expensive. i'll stick to the old favorites unless something comes highly recommended.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mikhayl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 pm

God I love beer.

Smuttynose is my favorite all around brewery...you'll never regret purchasing any of their products. I'm an ale man and my favorite ale is the Smuttynose Pale Ale ("Finestkind"). A lot of the other great American breweries have already been named. My favorites, sorry for repeats:

Smuttynose
Dogfish Head
Magic Hat
Six Points (Brewed just down the road from me in Red Hook, Brooklyn)
Brooklyn Brewery
Long Trail
Saranac
Brick House Brewery

Enjoy your quest.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Keep us updated Phatferd... and let us know what you're trying, what's good and what's not. I know this is probably better equipped for a beer forum, but hey, we're all friends here.

Hmm, maybe FBC should start a Beer forum... :-?

In any case, if you want, i can post my list or a link to my Google Spreadsheet of all the beer's I've tried so far.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Coppermine wrote:Keep us updated Phatferd... and let us know what you're trying, what's good and what's not. I know this is probably better equipped for a beer forum, but hey, we're all friends here.

Hmm, maybe FBC should start a Beer forum... :-?

In any case, if you want, i can post my list or a link to my Google Spreadsheet of all the beer's I've tried so far.

I'm down, and I don't see a problem with it. It's General Talk and it's pretty obvious that this group loves their beer!

Maybe we should begin a Food and Alcohol forum...

Please do send the spreadsheet.

I've read some of your reviews on BA.com and enjoy them. I wanna try the Dogfish Head IPA. P.S. you have some mail over there I sent you.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikhayl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:55 pm

Phatferd wrote:I've read some of your reviews on BA.com and enjoy them. I wanna try the Dogfish Head IPA. P.S. you have some mail over there I sent you.

My favorite's the Dogfish Head 90 minute, but Smuttynose IPA pwns it.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Coppermine wrote:
In fact, ACS, didn't you once request some Magic Hat #9? Still interested?

MMMM #9. actually had some when I was back in D.C. yum. I toured the Brewery once it ruled. I asked questions and took pictures. In fact I was the only one in the group to ask questions. I asked like 10.

Coppermine Wrote:

I want it send me a link

Art Wrote:
You've got to find something from Deschutes. My favorites are the Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, but I have yet to be let down by any of their beers. They are fairly wide distribution, they must be available somewhere around you.

Smartest thing you ever said. Black Butte Porter rules and is on tap everywhere in Denver. Also, in Vail for like 6 bucks a pint. But its worth it after a long day skiing and a long drive home in a blizzard.

MIkyllasfdyl Wrote:
My favorite's the Dogfish Head 90 minute, but Smuttynose IPA pwns it.

I can guarentee that Avery Majharaja Imperial IPA pwns them both. I've had the 90 minute and Avery's IPA destroys it. Of course you can only get the Majharaja via 22 Ounce and its 10% and uber hopped.

I think we should do some beer trading. Send each other bottles that we can't get other places. ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:Black Butte Porter rules and is on tap everywhere in Denver. Also, in Vail for like 6 bucks a pint. But its worth it after a long day skiing and a long drive home in a blizzard.

Damn...$6 a pint? I live fairly close to the brewery so it's on tap pretty much everywhere here and I can usually find it on sale for no more than $10.99 for a 12 pack at one of the stores in town.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Black Butte Porter rules and is on tap everywhere in Denver. Also, in Vail for like 6 bucks a pint. But its worth it after a long day skiing and a long drive home in a blizzard.

Damn...$6 a pint? I live fairly close to the brewery so it's on tap pretty much everywhere here and I can usually find it on sale for no more than $10.99 for a 12 pack at one of the stores in town.

Well thats in Vail... In denver its like 3 bucks a pint.

Yea we get 6 er's of it for like 6.50 or so.

Its delicious

Ever had Ellies Brown?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk