My quest into microbrews... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My quest into microbrews...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My quest into microbrews...

Postby Phatferd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:19 pm

I have this plan/idea/way of life to buy a six pack of microbrews every week to drink while watching college football every Saturday. I got every Saturday off from work so I can sit on my ass all day watching football and drinking some good beer.

Here in Phoenix/Tempe I found these stores (AJ's Fine Foods and Sun Devil Liquor) that have a wide variety of Micro's. I was in there for 40 minutes just trying to pick 6 beers. I can't wait for every Saturday now.

I have been drinking a lot of Fat Tire lately and like it it a lot. I also liked Skinny Dip (their Summer brew) a lot. I decided to just get the entire New Belgium lineup for this Saturday. They actually carry 7 styles of New Belgium and I wanted to get stuff I haven't tried so I didn't get Fat Tire or Skinny Dip so to fill out my six pack I got Anchor Portor (I love Anchor Steam).

I know there was another thread on this somwhere, but if you guys have any good suggestions throw them at me.

My next adventure into the market I plan on attacking the likes of Dogfish Head, Oak Creek, Anderson Brewery, Left Handed, Rogue, Lagunitas, Flying Dog, and Speak Easy.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Ahh my favorite subject.


New Belgium makes great beer:

Fat Tire is something everyone loves when they move to Colorado but then you kinda get bored of it due to better beers.

I recommend the following beers.

New Belgium Sunshine Wheat

Lefthand Milk Stout

Otter Creek Porter

Avery Maharaja 22 Ounce Impreial IPA (if you can find it)

Ellies Brown also by Avery

Anything avery is good

Dogfish head

Brooklyn Brewery is really good too

14'er ESB by Avery

Gozno Imperial Porter by FLying Dog if you can find it

Lagunitas Censored

Denver Pale Ale

Anything by Deschutes: especially Black Butte Porter

Anything by pizza port if you can find it.

Avalance Ale

Titan IPA

Ridgeline Red

Widmere Wheat

Widmere Snow Plow



Yea those are good
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Phatford... congratulations!

Since January 1 of this year, I have gone on a quest to see how many different beers I can try. I just crossed the 160 mark... and that is different kinds of beers, not each individual one. Most were bought as six packs, but I don't put repeats back on the list.

Some of my favorite breweries are Unibroue, Dogfish Head, Rogue, Weyerbacher, Troegs, Shipyard, Three Floyds, Victory, Great Divide, Thirsty Dog, Ommegang and anything brewed in Belgium... some of those are local for me in the Northeast, but Arizona should have a nice selection.

See if you can find a mix-and-match store. I found one in Hagerstown, MD where I can buy any six individual beers for about $7. That has dramatically increased my new-beer consumption because I used to buy a sixpack of one type or, if I had to buy in PA, it had to be a whole case.

Also, check out http://www.beeradvocate.com. It is my favorite website ever... it has detailed descriptions and user reviews of every beer ever made. It's a little beer-snobbish, but not as much as other sites and is pretty helpful in comparing different styles and beers.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Phatferd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Coppermine wrote:Phatford... congratulations!

Since January 1 of this year, I have gone on a quest to see how many different beers I can try. I just crossed the 160 mark... and that is different kinds of beers, not each individual one. Most were bought as six packs, but I don't put repeats back on the list.

Some of my favorite breweries are Unibroue, Dogfish Head, Rogue, Weyerbacher, Troegs, Shipyard, Three Floyds, Victory, Great Divide, Thirsty Dog, Ommegang and anything brewed in Belgium... some of those are local for me in the Northeast, but Arizona should have a nice selection.

See if you can find a mix-and-match store. I found one in Hagerstown, MD where I can buy any six individual beers for about $7. That has dramatically increased my new-beer consumption because I used to buy a sixpack of one type or, if I had to buy in PA, it had to be a whole case.

Also, check out http://www.beeradvocate.com. It is my favorite website ever... it has detailed descriptions and user reviews of every beer ever made. It's a little beer-snobbish, but not as much as other sites and is pretty helpful in comparing different styles and beers.


Yeah, I am a member of BA.com. That is how I found the stores in my area. The two places I know of sell individuals for about $1.20-$3.00 depending on the beer. Today I went to AJ's which supposedly has a little less selection, but you have a better chance of getting fresh beer. The other place is supposed to have ridiculous selection, but a lot of it has sat on the shelf forever and it's a crapshoot.

I am so excited, and I think I am going to start keeping track of how many different beers I try.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Re: My quest into microbrews...

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Phatferd wrote:I have this plan/idea/way of life to buy a six pack of microbrews every week to drink while watching college football every Saturday. I got every Saturday off from work so I can sit on my ass all day watching football and drinking some good beer.

Here in Phoenix/Tempe I found these stores (AJ's Fine Foods and Sun Devil Liquor) that have a wide variety of Micro's. I was in there for 40 minutes just trying to pick 6 beers. I can't wait for every Saturday now.

I have been drinking a lot of Fat Tire lately and like it it a lot. I also liked Skinny Dip (their Summer brew) a lot. I decided to just get the entire New Belgium lineup for this Saturday. They actually carry 7 styles of New Belgium and I wanted to get stuff I haven't tried so I didn't get Fat Tire or Skinny Dip so to fill out my six pack I got Anchor Portor (I love Anchor Steam).

I know there was another thread on this somwhere, but if you guys have any good suggestions throw them at me.

My next adventure into the market I plan on attacking the likes of Dogfish Head, Oak Creek, Anderson Brewery, Left Handed, Rogue, Lagunitas, Flying Dog, and Speak Easy.


I don't have access to Fat Tire over here which disappoints me... Anchor Steam I know is great... did you know that they actually patented their own style. It's called "steam beer" and it's brewed with a special kind of yeast that allows lagering at warmer temperatures (lager beers are usually fermented much colder than ales). This method dates back to the late 1800's in California when refrigeration was a great luxury. Anchor trademarked the term "Steam Beer" and as such all other beers must be legally referred to as "California Common."

Here are my recommendations for the one's you listed...

Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA if you can find it... one of the best micros out there. Grab 60 if you can't... their ApriHop is an excellent fruit beer. I didn't care much for their Chicory Stout or their Raisin beers.

Left Hand makes a great Oktoberfest beer and I know they're just starting to roll out... see if you can find one. I didn't care for their Milk Stout.

Rogue - Dead Guy Ale is a great example of the Maibock, a high alcohol lager. Rogue makes a lot of beers that they change year to year, but I've heard that their Chocolate Stout is amazing.

Flying Dog beers are some of my favorite sit-around-and-drink beers... great for summer especially. The labels are also clever. Look for Road Dog Scottish, Heller Hound Bock, Rail Yard Ale and In-Heat Wheat. Avoid Old Scratch.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:46 pm

Phatferd wrote:I am so excited, and I think I am going to start keeping track of how many different beers I try.


I was equally excited when I started back in January, and I'm still excited... not only that, I've learned a LOT about beer in the last 8 months, mostly through BA.

My spreadsheet has the following columns:

Date - Brewery - Beer Name - Style - Country - Region (or state) - ABV - BA and My ratings - Place purchased (so I know what bar or store i'm giving the most business to)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:51 pm

There's only two microbreweries in the town I'm currently living in, both are pretty good, but neither has more than regional distribution, so it would be kind of pointless to recommend them. I've had the owners of both breweries on my talk show, and as a result, I often get free beer whenever I go in and the owners are working. Good times!

Anyway, some of my favorite breweries that you'll probably be able to locate in your area are Deschutes, Lost Coast, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, the Rogue beers are good, Bell's...there's too many to name.

Ohh...almost forgot, Mendocino Brewing Co. makes two of my all-time favorites: Eye of the Hawk, and Black Eye (which is a blend of their Black Hawk Stout and Eye of the Hawk). You should be able to find Eye of the Hawk, and their other labels, relatively easy, but the Black Eye is something they only make limited runs of, and I think it's only ever available in 22s. Definitely worth checking out if you see it though.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:57 pm

I have access to most of the Mendocino beers you mentioned, but not many of the others. I'm really missing out... I'm going to have to move all over the country just to fulfill my microbrew quest. I'd like to do some beer trading, but living PA, it's expressly forbidden (not that I care, I'd risk it for good beer).

In fact, ACS, didn't you once request some Magic Hat #9? Still interested?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm

this is making me want to take a trip to the local store that carries all these microbrews...but i dont drink at home that often...maybe i can work it into my Sunday NFL routine though
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:this is making me want to take a trip to the local store that carries all these microbrews...but i dont drink at home that often...maybe i can work it into my Sunday NFL routine though


That, and/or, next time you're at the bar, ask to see the beer list... you might be surprised at what some places carry.

These days, if a bar doesn't carry any micros, I'm likely done with that bar... when i was in college it was a totally differnet story... $1.25 Miller High Life Pitchers at Maxies was a weekly necessity every Thursday night.

But, now that I work, i figure beer is something worth spending money on.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact