Help! I'm Turning into a Woman! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help! I'm Turning into a Woman!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby emb0lus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 pm

3 run homer wrote:Gyro meat is basically a lamb meat loaf here's a home recipe
GYROS MEAT LOAF

2 1/2 lbs. ground lamb
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 c. minced onion
1 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. fine dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 c. fresh chopped mint leaves
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced

Put everything into large bowl and massage the meat with bare hands for 5 minutes. Then put meat into an oiled loaf pan. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 90 minutes. Let cool and pour off liquid. Serve in pita bread or in sandwiches. Season with cayenne pepper, sour cream, tomato, etc.

Here's another recipe that is a little more simple and tasty.
1 lb. ground lamb
1 lg. clove garlic, pressed
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 c. snipped parsley
6 pita pockets
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped

SAUCE:

16 oz. sour cream
1 med. cucumber, pureed (puree in blender & strain to remove liquid)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar

Combine first ten ingredients in large bowl; blend. Place mixture in skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until meat is browned. Drain off excess drippings. Combine sour cream, cucumber, garlic, salt and sugar in bowl. Blend well. Cut pita pockets in half; spoon in meat mixture, top with tomatoes and onions. Spoon sauce over each sandwich and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings. Makes a good main course served over rice.

how do you get it on that big stick and cook it on a vertical spit? :-B
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 pm

1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
2 pounds ground lamb
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Tzatziki Sauce, recipe follows

Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that are at least 18 inches long. Roll the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. Once the meat is completely rolled in the wrap, twist the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap is tight. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up.

Preheat the grill to high.

Place the meat onto the rotisserie skewer. Place a double-thick piece of aluminum foil folded into a tray directly under the meat to catch any drippings. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. Turn off the heat and allow to continue to spin for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emb0lus » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 pm

Coppermine wrote:
2 pounds ground lamb
2 teaspoons kosher salt

Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that are at least 18 inches long. Roll the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. Once the meat is completely rolled in the wrap, twist the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap is tight. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up.

Place the meat onto the rotisserie skewer. Place a double-thick piece of aluminum foil folded into a tray directly under the meat to catch any drippings. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. Turn off the heat and allow to continue to spin for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.

so, i guess you should remove the plastic wrap before actually placing it on the grill..

by the way, what is a tea towel? i dont' remember from home-ec in 8th grade
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 pm

emb0lus wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
2 pounds ground lamb
2 teaspoons kosher salt

so, i guess you should remove the plastic wrap before actually placing it on the grill..

by the way, what is a tea towel? i dont' remember from home-ec in 8th grade

Beats me, I'm guessing it's a thin towel. I don't feel like googling it in case someone is analyzing my search history to determine my sexual orientation.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 pm

GYROS MEAT LOAF

2 1/2 lbs. ground lamb
1 c. minced onion
2 eggs
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced

Put everything into large bowl and massage the meat with bare hands for 5 minutes. Then put meat into an oiled loaf pan. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 90 minutes. Let cool and pour off liquid. Serve in pita bread or in sandwiches. Season with cayenne pepper, sour cream, tomato, etc.

1 lb. ground lamb
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 c. snipped parsley
6 pita pockets
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped

SAUCE:

16 oz. sour cream
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar

Combine first ten ingredients in large bowl; blend. Place mixture in skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until meat is browned. Drain off excess drippings. Combine sour cream, cucumber, garlic, salt and sugar in bowl. Blend well. Cut pita pockets in half; spoon in meat mixture, top with tomatoes and onions. Spoon sauce over each sandwich and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings. Makes a good main course served over rice.

I'm impressed. I'm partners in a Greek-Italian restaurant and we don't even make our own gyro meat. We do make a kick ass tzatziki sauce though. The recipe is similar to yours in the sense that it is sour cream based.
Actually, I'm not partners in it anymore. I just finished up my last shift and as of tonight I am semi-retired/unemployed. On to bigger and better things. :-)
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:06 am

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:By the way, along with tofu, yogurt is considered one of America's least favorite foods.. that seems weird. Also, tofu... I know that's a big thing to make fun of, but the thing about tofu is that it takes on the taste of whatever its cooked with. Thats funny, because all of the tofu I've ever had must have been cooked in s!@#.

I like tofu. Obviously, you haven't had it mesh with the right foods. There's something I had for dinner last night: it was a Chinese recipe with green beans, caramelized onions, sesame oil, mushrooms, and tofu. It's great. I tend to think mushrooms and tofu go well together, along with meat and some soy sauce-based sauce, like chicken with mushrooms and tofu with a miso-based demiglaze. Tofu is pretty awesome with curry too.

It was really just a joke. I still don't care for it, more a texture thing than anything. I also don't particularly care for mushrooms... I think they taste dirty. I like a good portabello once in a while.

DING DING DING. yeah, it can taste like buttered lobster tail or BBQ sauce, either way the texture is just :-P ...although i dont mind the little chunks in a bowl of miso soup
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:04 am

I'm not a big tofu fan on its own but I really enjoy a delicious veggie burger.

Morningstar makes an awesome tomato basil pizza burger.

Yum yum
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:36 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'm not a big tofu fan on its own but I really enjoy a delicious veggie burger.

Yum yum

You sound like my wife before she rediscovered that she loves meat.

I say :-t :-t :-t to veggie burgers! If it's made of veggies, it sure as hell ain't a burger!

:-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I'm not a big tofu fan on its own but I really enjoy a delicious veggie burger.

Yum yum

You sound like my wife before she rediscovered that she loves meat.

I say :-t :-t :-t to veggie burgers! If it's made of veggies, it sure as hell ain't a burger!

:-D

oh contrair mon frair
A burger or "burger sandwich" is a type of sandwich which consists of a hamburger bun or similar type of round bread, and a primary filling of a meat or vegetarian patty. The word "burger" is an abbreviation of the word "hamburger"
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:15 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
GYROS MEAT LOAF

2 1/2 lbs. ground lamb
1 c. minced onion
2 eggs
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb. ground lamb
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 c. snipped parsley
6 pita pockets
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, chopped

SAUCE:

16 oz. sour cream
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar

I'm impressed. I'm partners in a Greek-Italian restaurant and we don't even make our own gyro meat. We do make a kick ass tzatziki sauce though. The recipe is similar to yours in the sense that it is sour cream based.
Actually, I'm not partners in it anymore. I just finished up my last shift and as of tonight I am semi-retired/unemployed. On to bigger and better things. :-)

Wow, I remember you talking about your restaurant quite often. I was actually going to take a stop by at some point, just kept forgetting to ask you where it was. Congrats on your last shift, and here's to bigger and better things. ;D ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk