Why don't vending machines take Credit Cards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Why don't vending machines take Credit Cards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why don't vending machines take Credit Cards

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:01 am

This is stupid. I want a soda and have no money. Why can't I put it on a credit card.

Please debate
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:04 am

i've thought of that before...my guess is it would be too expensive to retro-fit all the vending machines to have that capability

cant you just borrow a $1 from someone or go panhandle in the street for some change?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 am

Ha! Go to any industrialized Asian or European country and all of their fending machines take cards. Why not here in America? I hate it too. I never carry cash anymore, almost never. That kind of sucks living in a fairly rural area where some restaurants are still cash only. And believe me, i want to strangle the lady writing out a check at the supermarket checkout line. Get a debit card damnit! "Uh, what's today's date?" Yeah, my response is "August Hurry the Hell Upth"

Anyway, I don't know why we're so far behind on our vending... although in Japan they have everything in vending machines, including used schoolgirl panties.

I'm not sure if those take plastic though.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:10 am

Coppermine wrote:Ha! Go to any industrialized Asian or European country and all of their fending machines take cards. Why not here in America? I hate it too. I never carry cash anymore, almost never. That kind of sucks living in a fairly rural area where some restaurants are still cash only. And believe me, i want to strangle the lady writing out a check at the supermarket checkout line. Get a debit card damnit! "Uh, what's today's date?" Yeah, my response is "August Hurry the Hell Upth"

Anyway, I don't know why we're so far behind on our vending... although in Japan they have everything in vending machines, including used schoolgirl panties.

yea I don't get it. I really want a disgusting poisonous teeth rotting soda and as an american thats my right.

Also, the lady writing a check at the super market. I live in a wealthy part of denver in a shack that somehow hasn't been ripped down yet. The houses in my neighborhood all sell for upwards of 2 million dollars each.

Anyways at our neighborhood safeway so lady was writing a check!!! WTF ... it took her like 10 minutes to write it then another 10 minutes for it to get denied.

i wanted to puch her in the boob. but I refrained..

Anyways I guess I'll go borrow a dollar
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:16 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i've thought of that before...my guess is it would be too expensive to retro-fit all the vending machines to have that capability

i think in order to process the transaction you'd have to hook the vending machine up to a phone line. that would probably cost too much money. you have to retro fit the machines or get new ones. then you have to pay to have a phone line run to the machine. then you have to pay for the phone calls.

plus, i am sure some thief could just find a way to splice the phone line and steal everyone's credit card numbers.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 am

Chicago Tribune wrote:CHICAGO — The future of two great American pastimes - consuming carbonated beverages and charging credit cards - are likely to be increasingly intertwined as vending machines that accept plastic become more prevalent.

It's a concept that inevitably raises questions about when a convenience might go from being a convenience to being an enabler, encouraging consumers to drink more soda, or buy more candy, while spending money they don't necessarily have.

Within the past week, MasterCard and a Coca-Cola bottling company have finished rolling out 1,000 cashless vending machines in the Philadelphia area so consumers with the urge to caffeinate can't be denied if they lack currency.

Their effort to make it easier for a tiny impulse purchase is part of a larger trend in which credit card companies are doing their best to accommodate consumers who prefer to use credit, debit or prepaid cards for small-ticket purchases.

Such tiny transactions have even been tagged with a name: "micropayments," which Visa defines as $2 or less.

"If you need to pop a quarter in the parking meter, can you do that with your card instead?" said Niki Manby, senior vice president of product innovation for Visa. "We're looking at the whole gamut."

But the push toward encouraging electronic payments for vending purchases worries those who make a living encouraging people to be physically and fiscally fit.

"To me, that's scary," said Dave Grotto, a spokesman for the American Dietetic Association and president of Elmhurst, Ill.-based Nutrition Housecall LLC. "The best thing in life is not having spare change to add more calories to your life."

Nancy Castleman, a consumer reporter for Cardratings.com, a Web site seeking to educate consumers about credit cards, also is wary of such machines.

"It may be really difficult for people who already are pumping more small change into vending machines than they should," Castleman said. "Snazzy machines selling stuff that is marketed to young people in particular are the last thing we need."

But a recent survey shows consumers are open to the idea of using plastic for vending machines. Nearly a third of respondents agreed with the statement, "I would use vending machines more if I could pay with a debit or credit card," according to the 80-page vending industry study released last December by market research firm Mintel International Group Ltd.

"There is unanimous agreement that card readers will become a prevalent feature in vending machines," said Elliot Maras, editor of trade magazine Automatic Merchandiser, "but the big question is when."

About 60 percent of consumers carry less than $20 in cash, up from 49 percent just three years ago, MasterCard research shows.

Also, U.S. consumers make more than 350 billion transactions of less than $5 a year, representing $1.32 trillion in total spending, according to a 2004 survey by Ipsos-Insight, a market research firm.

In 2003, led by rapid growth of debit card payments, the volume of electronic payments surpassed check payments for the first time, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

By 2009 as many as a quarter of vending machines will accept electronic payments, estimates Michael Kasavana, National Automatic Merchandising Association endowed professor in the hospitality school at Michigan State University.

Visa also sees promise in such self-service devices as airport cart machines, jukeboxes and freestanding kiosks that print digital photos for as little as 69 cents.

In USA Technologies, the firm providing the cashless technology in the Philadelphia Coke rollout, has found consumers spend 50 percent more on average at vending machines when they can make purchases using their credit or debit cards.

Sounds like some larger cities are starting to get them.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 am

Coppermine wrote:Ha! Go to any industrialized Asian or European country and all of their fending machines take cards. Why not here in America? I hate it too. I never carry cash anymore, almost never. That kind of sucks living in a fairly rural area where some restaurants are still cash only. And believe me, i want to strangle the lady writing out a check at the supermarket checkout line. Get a debit card damnit! "Uh, what's today's date?" Yeah, my response is "August Hurry the Hell Upth"

i didnt see a panty machine when i was there :,-( but i did buy a beer from one ;-D

...and nothing is more frusturating than being behind a check writer at a grocery store :-t :-t :-t it should be outlawed
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:34 am

we do have them indeed in philly. at my school, EVERY machine take credit cards or our school id cards, which basically work like a debit card....

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:36 am

Snakes Gould wrote:we do have them indeed in philly. at my school, EVERY machine take credit cards or our school id cards, which basically work like a debit card....

THATS AWESOMEE!!!

We need that here in denver ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 am

b/c there are transaction costs involved in CC usage. your soda is sale is probably not worthwhile, and that's before the hardwiring costs are considered.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk