Tuly up! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Tuly up!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tuly up!

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:58 am

Rockies purchased the contract of shortstop Troy Tulowitzki from Double-A Tulsa.

The beginning of the end for Clint Barmes? Tulowitzki is the future at shortstop for the Rockies, though he may need to spend at least two or three months in Triple-A next year. The belief is that Barmes is going to move to second base when Tulowitzki is ready, but he probably belongs in a utility role instead. Tulowitzki figures to get at least a couple of starts per week, giving him a little value in NL-only leagues. He was hitting .291/.370/.473 with 13 homers and six steals in 423 at-bats for Tulsa.

rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 am

I think Troy Tulowitzki is a prime example of a prospect who is overvalued in most fantasy leagues. I'd imagine that his defense gives him a boost in most prospect lists, but for fantasy purposes, he looks like a mere solid second-tier prospect to me - he isn't quite in the same class as Stephen Drew.

A case can be made for Reid Brignac being the best hitting shortstop prospect in the minors now that Drew has graduated.

That being said, how 'bout all the infielders that Long Beach State has produced lately, Bobby Crosby, Tulowitzki, and Evan Longoria? Talk about a baseball hotbed...
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:43 am

MiLB.com story on the callup

DENVER -- Rockies manager Clint Hurdle no doubt will discuss on Wednesday his excitement over the arrival of shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, the club's No. 1 pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

But after Tuesday night's 10-5 loss to the Mets, Hurdle announced at the end of an animated postgame news conference that Tulowitzki was being promoted from Double-A Tulsa.

Clint Barmes, who was the primary shortstop the past two seasons and will not be excited to see Tulowitzki, was eager to get the questions out of the way. Barmes' .226 batting average, with seven home runs and 54 RBIs, earned him a ticket to utility duty.

"Obviously, I haven't done what I've needed to do at the plate," Barmes said. "Defensively, this has been my best year. I'm very happy and pleased with the way I've played defensively.

"But I don't think that I'm a .220 hitter. Obviously, numbers for this full season have shown that, so I've got to come back and prove that I can play and hit at this level. The stats, that's all the facts right there you need. So he's going to come up and he's going to get his opportunity the same way I got mine."

Tulowitzki, 21, from Long Beach State, will be celebrated. In his first full professional season, Tulowitzki batted .291 with 13 home runs and 61 RBIs in 104 games at Tulsa. Tulowitzki missed action from June 19-30 with a knee problem, but he did participate in the Futures Game during All-Star weekend in Pittsburgh.

If the Rockies start Tulowitzki against the Mets on Wednesday, it will mark the quickest Minor League apprenticeship (126 games) of any position player drafted by the club in its history.

Like catcher Chris Iannetta, who made his Major League debut on Sunday after being drafted in the fourth round in 2004, Tulowitzki spent part of the winter working out with the Rockies' Major Leaguers at Coors Field. Tulowitzki and Iannetta also participated in Major League Spring Training.

Before announcing Tulowitzki's promotion, Hurdle said jobs were on the line. The Rockies have gone with their current lineup for the better part of two seasons, but a 61-70 record despite good pitching has Colorado looking for upgrades.

"We're not a finished product," said Hurdle, who at times spat out his words while discussing the offensive shortcomings of the club. "We've got areas to improve upon. We need guys that have had good campaigns to finish up strong.

"We've got guys that have left some question marks on the table (that need) to clean them off for the respect of the league, the respect of the people in our division, the respect of our fans."

Barmes played second base for nine games, including eight starts, in 2004, but otherwise has been at short.

After raising some defensive questions last season, during which he batted .289 in a season that was interrupted by an absence of nearly three months with a collarbone injury, Barmes has been steady with the glove this season. After sticking with Barmes based on his defense at midseason, the Rockies have decided to get a look at Tulowitzki, who received a $2.3 million bonus after being selected seventh overall in 2005.

"I was told that I might move around a little bit, so I'll throw whatever knowledge I can to him and be the best teammate that I can be, like I feel I've always done," Barmes said. "I take pride in that.

"I can't say I'm extremely happy. I feel like I've always wanted to play shortstop. That's what I've always wanted to do. I might be playing more of a utility role. There's not much I can say about it. You look at the stats, they say it all themselves."

To make room for Tulowitzki on the active roster, the Rockies optioned utility man Luis Gonzalez (.243, two home runs, 14 RBIs) to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks for the article.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ukjohn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:57 pm

one of my top prospects is finally called up ;-D
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:23 pm

I totally disagree that Tulowitzki is overvalued in fantasy leagues. He is in my opinion right up there with the likes of Drew. Baseball America has said that he has the potential and the skill set to be a 25-30 HR hitter annually. I trust their opinion more so then most people on here no offense but, they have sources that we are unable to tap into. This whole comparrison to Bobby Crosby is a farce as far as I am concerned keep in mind that since Tulowitzki was actually compared to Crosby...Crosby has been injured and hasn't lived up to any of his potential that he showed as a rookie... This stuff where Tulo's defense is the reason hes high on the lists is just not true but, Ill let his actions speak for themselves...

I don't see Tulowitzki needing any time in AAA next year. I think if he comes up and can proove hes a better option then Barmes. Then Tulo is up for good.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:36 pm

Going off of John Manuel from Baseball America's midseason prospect update, Troy Tulowitzki was ranked #8 while Drew was #1. The comment next to Tulowitzki said, "Longish swing puts better glove behind Drew, Wood."

Tulowitzki is on the right track, but I think we're going to see him struggle with the jump from AA to the bigs. Surely, this callup is going to determine if he's fit to start in the major leagues or AAA next season. His key hitting stats are solid-average to a few strides above average for a top prospect in my books - similar to Drew, just done at a lower level and younger age.

I think he still has something to prove with his bat before he joins the top tier of elite prospects.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ukjohn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Tulowitzki will probably be more valuable in real life than in fantasy, but he will still up solid numbers throughout his ML career, IMO

Drew has the better bat, Tulo has the better glove

both will be good players, but Drew will probably help out more in fantasy baseball, but it won't be that far apart
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Yay!!! ;-D

Didn't expect this move, but I'm glad it happened. Tulo will be the starting SS the rest of the year, which should put him on track to start opening day next year too.

Really excited to see what he can do!
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Bobby Crosby.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager