What is the deal with Guardado and Flash Gordon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

What is the deal with Guardado and Flash Gordon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the deal with Guardado and Flash Gordon?

Postby madstork43 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:49 am

Are either of these guys going to close ever again? What is the updated story on these guys?
madstork43
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:30 am

I can help out on Guardado.

It doesn't sound very good right now but Guardado is a gamer. He's likely done for his career after this year due to his bad shoulder anyways so it's not a question of whether he'll hurt something that could hurt his career. This situation is very similar to Radke...two gamers at the tail end of their careers that are in a playoff race...their last playoff race...and they're doing everything they can to pitch through a lot of pain to help their teams get to the playoffs.

Guardado threw over the weekend and said he felt a lot of pain still. He'll continue doing rehab exercises this week and will try throwing again some time between Wednesday and Friday. The problem is that Guardado has realized that with the pain at the level it was he was hurting the team by trying to pitch. He's said that he isn't going to pitch again until the forearm feels 100% which is honestly a good decision...he couldn't even follow through with the way it was so he was basically slinging the ball and hoping that the location wasn't too bad.

Best-case scenario is probably the beginning of next week but that would be a near miracle at this point. Worst-case scenario is that he's already pitched in the last game of his career. The only positive part is that if he thinks he can help the team he'll be out there. Guardado is one tough cookie...this is the guy who's been pitching with a frayed shoulder for the better part of two years now. The ONLY reason he went on the DL is because he felt he couldn't be effective. If it looks like the Reds need him badly enough he'll come off the DL and pitch. I just wouldn't expect much...he's getting by on pure guts and determination right now.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby madstork43 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:42 pm

Yikes!!!! That is not good news...i just traded for him before this DL stint.

Thanks for the help though...

Anybody have an update on Tom Gordon?
madstork43
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bcb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Most recent update from Yahoo!
Aug 26 Manager Charlie Manuel said he expects Gordon, who hasn't pitched since Aug. 12 because of a strained right shoulder, to throw in a simulated game Monday or Tuesday and return to the Phillies by the end of next week.

I had to let Eddie go, but I held on to Flash. I actually think Gordon will be able to come back at pre ASB form after this rest period. He was not pitching well before going on the DL.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates