Ortiz: Irregular Heartbeat... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ortiz: Irregular Heartbeat...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz: Irregular Heartbeat...

Postby KHI » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:13 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2564608

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was scheduled to leave the team Tuesday and return to Boston to be examined again for an irregular heartbeat.

Big Papi was a late scratch for Boston's game Monday night at Oakland for what was first thought to be the flu. Ortiz, who on Sunday hit his major league-leading 47th home run at Seattle, already spent time in a Boston hospital earlier this month for the condition.

He said he thought it was caused by fatigue.

Hopefully this isn't too serious :-o
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:24 am

From Rotowire:
Aug 29 Ortiz will be away from the Red Sox indefinitely with an irregular heartbeat.

Recommendation: Ortiz was a late scratch from Monday's game after symptoms flared up for the second time this month. "He will get a clean bill of health before he plays again," manager Terry Francona said. "The games are important, but we have a responsibility to do what's right." Obviously, Ortiz' health is much more important than baseball, but make sure you have a fill-in for the forseeable future.

This doesn't sound very good for Papi. It sounds like proof positive that his heart is just too big for his own good.

With the sox already struggling like they are, I think that if the doctors are at all nervous about his condition, the FO will shut him down for the season....no reason to risk it with him. And just in time for fantasy playoffs too. :-t
Of course, I'm thankful for ortiz getting me to the playoffs.

Get better David Ortiz
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GrubNasty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:32 am

yeah i hope he comes around ok... but i dunno the indefinitely part makes it seem for sure hes gone for the season save for maybe a few appearances at home games?
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mreater71 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:46 am

This definately hurts my chances for the playoffs :-t But Ortiz has been great for me this year. ;-D
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mets1978 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:18 am

We're going to have to wait to hear about what is causing the irregular heartbeat. He's a big guy and what my highschool gym teacher would have called an ectomorph (definition: Chubby dude) so this heart trouble could be long-term... let's hope not.

I personally can't stand the Massachusetts Yankees (or the NY yankees for that matter) but I'm a huge Ortiz fan. For his sake, I hope they take things slow with him and get him right before they send him out there again.
Mets1978
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pstater71 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 am

It could be nothing. Sometimes it could be something nutritional/his diet that causes it, which can be easily solved with the proper nutrition.
Pstater71 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mets1978 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:25 am

Pstater71 wrote:It could be nothing. Sometimes it could be something nutritional/his diet that causes it, which can be easily solved with the proper nutrition.

Hippie.

Just kidding. Yeah, these things can be caused by (like the big man himself said) dehydration and fatigue as well as electoryte imbalances or even spastic vascular walls that can be brought into line with the proper meds... let's hope it's the tired/thirsty thing and he gets over it quickly.
Mets1978
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Ortiz: Irregular Heartbeat...

Postby damonhater » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:21 pm

KHI wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2564608

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was scheduled to leave the team Tuesday and return to Boston to be examined again for an irregular heartbeat.

Big Papi was a late scratch for Boston's game Monday night at Oakland for what was first thought to be the flu. Ortiz, who on Sunday hit his major league-leading 47th home run at Seattle, already spent time in a Boston hospital earlier this month for the condition.

He said he thought it was caused by fatigue.

Hopefully this isn't too serious :-o

As a Sox fan and non owner of Papi i say shut him and Manny down for the year call up the talent on the farm and think about next year. I hate to throw in the towel but they are done
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ivanhack » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

I'm on the cusp of making the playoffs, but need to win this week to get in. This Papi injury is a death blow to my team. :-t :~(

As a Yankee fan though, it's nice to see the Red Sox stumble. :-D

They had their JV team facing Loaiza last night. No Papi, no Manny, no Varitek. Now Lester is done too.

Red Sox are done!
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby damonhater » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:16 pm

ivanhack wrote:I'm on the cusp of making the playoffs, but need to win this week to get in. This Papi injury is a death blow to my team. :-t :~(

As a Yankee fan though, it's nice to see the Red Sox stumble. :-D

They had their JV team facing Loaiza last night. No Papi, no Manny, no Varitek. Now Lester is done too.

Red Sox are done!

As a Sox fan it was kinda funny actually. They through out Crisp, Cora and Loretta 1,2,3. Not exactly Damon, Jeter, Abreu. You are right it was amatuer night. Can't wait till next year
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates