Delmon offically up! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon offically up!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ARCH » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:37 pm

I can't see how he's worth picking up unless you're in a keeper league.
ARCH
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Fan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:54 pm

He hit a HR in his first game on my roster. If I drop him tomorrow he's been worth owning.
Fantasy Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:23 pm

I don't quite understand why the consensus opinion is that umpire's will give him a hard time in the majors. I think, for the most part, they are more professional than that and will treat him like any other rookie. Also, the guy who his threw the bat at was a scab who crossed the picket line during an umpires strike, if I remember correctly. I'd assume that most of them would harbor more disdain for the scab ump than for the guy who nailed him.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:35 pm

scr wrote:As a baseball fan and a baseball purist I hate the fact that Garcia took a shot at Young. It was a bushleague cheap shot play-no room in mlb for that crap. The good that can come out of it is that it may rally the Rays around the kid.

I guess we just see it different ways then. I saw an inside pitch that Delmon turned into and the ball hit him. I saw nothing that looked like Garcia was throwing at him. I just can't see Garcia throwing the ball at a minor league player that threw a bat at a scab ump.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 am

I don't think Garcia made the decision to throw at Young, but I do think Ozzie "old school" wanted the message sent. As we saw this year, when Ozzie wants someone hit, you either throw at the batter or you get chewed out. This is why I believe Madden was so pissed after the game. He knows Ozzie.

To me it was a message pitch-no head hunting, but a message. The irony is that the Rays appeared to come together after the pitch, clawing back to score 9 runs but coming up short.

"The pitch" may have been exactly what the team needed to accept Delmon on the team.

The Rays played well again last night but fell just short. As with most young (no pun intended) teams, mistakes will cost them some games (last night), but the addition of Delmon in the lineup seems to have provided an offensive boost that makes that lineup ever more dangerous. When the Rays get some pitching, man, they are going to be dangerous.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikhayl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:05 pm

dorje3 wrote:Can't believe how short this thread is.

What an entrance.

3 straight multi-hit games. He's pretty talented :-D

Any of the history whizzes around here know the record for consecutive multi-hit games to start a career? I'm digging through the google hits right now...I've gotta believe it's a pretty low number.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm

ARCH wrote:I can't see how he's worth picking up unless you're in a keeper league.

:-? top prospect in a strong lineup with regular playing time isnt worth owning?
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hobbes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:08 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
ARCH wrote:I can't see how he's worth picking up unless you're in a keeper league.

:-? top prospect in a strong lineup with regular playing time isnt worth owning?

I'm in first place and I'm trying to find a way to shoehorn him onto my team in my keeper league. With only five keepers he won't make the cut, but I primarily want to prevent one of the bottom teams with poor keeper choices from nabbing him. I want him to be in the draft pool next season and not locked away on somebody's team. ;-)
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmelo15 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:15 am

dyuen87 wrote:

Sooo, he has been mashing the ball. I'm thinkin' he is a decent option as a 3rd OF? No?
mrmelo15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gfantasy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:45 pm

Where does he go in next year's draft?
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

PreviousNext