This man is incredible (Pavano) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This man is incredible (Pavano)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Big Train » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 am

Hearing that he has two cracked ribs is hilarious in light of the fact that the New York Post reported yesterday that Pavano was complaining of the increasingly popular "oblique" injury. :-D

Given the Yankees perpetual pitching issues and injury problems this year, think of what that $40 million could be used for. I hate the Yankees so I don't feel remotely sorry for them, either for the money down the tube or for hiring a guy like Cashman who doesn't have the brains to not throw $40 million at a guy who had just one decent season to his credit and who had a history of injuries to begin with.

I'm guessing Pavan's problem stems from him not getting over his ex-girlfriend...

http://sps.sandouville.free.fr/wallpaper/images/girl/girl_alyssa_milano020.jpg
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:43 am

Carl who?

I washed my hands of this stiff long ago. It's getting to be a joke now and a voided contract would be sweet if possible.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mrkrab2003 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am

what a trooper, you guys are all reading this wrong. After seeing what T.O has been doing with his injuries its refreshing to see a player trying to play through the pain.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby giants! » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:17 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:what a trooper, you guys are all reading this wrong. After seeing what T.O has been doing with his injuries its refreshing to see a player trying to play through the pain.

Were you born yesterday? Or do you realize that this guy has not pitched in 14 months, suffering a minor setback every week?
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Frappy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Hey now, the police didnt even know about pavano's car crash! Wow he sure is sneaky! :-?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:38 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
Steve-o wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote::-? .. he broke two ribs in an accident and he didnt tell the yanks?

not too sure why he would do that.

Hmmm... why would you not tell people you were in a car accident? I see one of two reasons.

1.) Drunk/Drugs. Trying to keep it quiet.

2.) You think you can play through the pain. He's already had a tough go of it in the media (to say the least) and there's really nothing you can do for broken ribs. Maybe he thought he could just play through it to avoid more negative press or the ire of his organization.

Just wild speculation on my part.

Not bad assumptions.. but IMO their both pretty stupid..

For 2. does he really think he can play through that much pain without the organization/media finding out? I think he has to let them know either way. I mean I'm not too sure how much broken ribs hurt, but I assume that it's not too easy to hide from your team mates and eventually it would get out.

I have had a cracked rib and can assure you it hurts quite a bit. Every little movement of your torso you feel it. I can't imagine pitching with a couple of broken ribs.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jbauer2485 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Steve-o wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote::-? .. he broke two ribs in an accident and he didnt tell the yanks?

not too sure why he would do that.

Hmmm... why would you not tell people you were in a car accident? I see one of two reasons.

1.) Drunk/Drugs. Trying to keep it quiet.

2.) You think you can play through the pain. He's already had a tough go of it in the media (to say the least) and there's really nothing you can do for broken ribs. Maybe he thought he could just play through it to avoid more negative press or the ire of his organization.

Just wild speculation on my part.

Didn't Pavano hit a PARKED truck? If so, it has to be #1.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Even Jeter is being critical. He hits a tractor trailer with his Porsche. And the tractor trailer was a solid waste carrier...just too good. You can't make this up.

From Yahoo:
I have to assume he wants to pitch," Torre said. "I would not believe that someone who's gotten that far in his career and really got to the point where he was our No. 1 choice a couple of years ago, all of a sudden he decides he doesn't want to pitch. I don't believe that."

Yankees captain Derek Jeter, sounding a bit annoyed, said that while Pavano will be welcome when he returns, he's not being counted on.

"I can't worry about guys who are not here," Jeter said. "It's not a letdown if you're not counting on it. It's not hard to believe. That's what's been happening all the time."

Pavano crashed his 2006 Porsche into a tractor trailer in West Palm Beach, Fla., on Aug. 15, causing $30,000 in damages to his car, according to a West Palm Beach police report.

Pavano's car hydroplaned, he lost control and the vehicle struck a tractor trailer, the report states.

"It was a significant accident," West Palm Beach police Lt. Chuck Reed said.

Pavano, who was driving the Porsche, was at fault, according to the police report, which does not indicate whether any charges were filed or tickets issued. Reed said there is no record of Pavano receiving a ticket.

"My shoulder is all messed up. My doctor told me to stay in bed," the driver of the tractor trailer, Ernest DeLaura, was quoted as saying on the Web site of the Daily News.

Damages to the truck, which belongs to the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County, were estimated at $20,000 in the report.

"We should have been told about it," Torre said. "You certainly endanger yourself and the commitment to us when you take chances like he seems to have taken
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers