Cable providing home phone service - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cable providing home phone service

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:50 am

My options are:

Cox package (approximately $110/month) for phone/cable tv (with HD)/cable internet

or

Sprint (my cell phone carrier) has a new technology called EVDO that enables them to give broadband quality speed (up to 2 mbps) through a wireless card that you can transport anywhere in the nation (that has coverage). The unlimited package for this costs about $50 with my business discount. Then I could sign up for DirectTV for HD TV and screw Cox out of the picture totally. I would also not have a landline phone, not that I really care.

But, the Cox internet would definitely be faster, and being that I need a fast internet connection because I work from home on occasion, I'm leaning that way right now. I really hate Cox though, I am considering going with Sprint in spite of them. :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Also, people's personal situations play into it. My wife and I each have cells, cable modem, and a landline thru Bellsouth. Our reasons:

We need cells for work.

Her cell doesn't work at our house, which is not even in a rural area. Sprint, you suck. She'll be leaving ASAP for a new carrier.

She's 8 months pregnant....can't have her unable to reach someone if home alone.

We live in a hurricane prone area, having been beaten up by Ivan, Dennis, Katrina, etc, etc, the last few years and during all of those storms, the cell towers and/or networks were down.....but the old school crappy $10 landline phone worked. Thank God I kept one of those 1500 FREE HOURS OF AOHELL cds....I was able to use the landline for internet as my cable modem was out. Fine for two days AFTER Katrina, but went down for TWO WEEKS after that. Thanks Comcast.....you and Sprint should marry.

So, it has it's advantages to have a landline, but everyone's situation is different. If I was still single, there's no way I'd fool with a landline.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:23 am

Pablo975 wrote:Also, people's personal situations play into it. My wife and I each have cells, cable modem, and a landline thru Bellsouth. Our reasons:

We need cells for work.

Her cell doesn't work at our house, which is not even in a rural area. Sprint, you suck. She'll be leaving ASAP for a new carrier.

She's 8 months pregnant....can't have her unable to reach someone if home alone.

We live in a hurricane prone area, having been beaten up by Ivan, Dennis, Katrina, etc, etc, the last few years and during all of those storms, the cell towers and/or networks were down.....but the old school crappy $10 landline phone worked. Thank God I kept one of those 1500 FREE HOURS OF AOHELL cds....I was able to use the landline for internet as my cable modem was out. Fine for two days AFTER Katrina, but went down for TWO WEEKS after that. Thanks Comcast.....you and Sprint should marry.

So, it has it's advantages to have a landline, but everyone's situation is different. If I was still single, there's no way I'd fool with a landline.

sigh...sprint does kind of suck...but i kept needing a new phone and renewing for 2 years so i could basically get a free phone. i'm done with them whenever this runs out...probably go for Cingular
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:31 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Pablo975 wrote:Also, people's personal situations play into it. My wife and I each have cells, cable modem, and a landline thru Bellsouth. Our reasons:

We need cells for work.

sigh...sprint does kind of suck...but i kept needing a new phone and renewing for 2 years so i could basically get a free phone. i'm done with them whenever this runs out...probably go for Cingular

Isn't Sprint called Embarq now? What's with the Q, did they want it to sound less American and more like "Iraq?" Stupid marketing people.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am

I had sprint for two years and liked them but their phones sucked so I got Tmobile now which has funny reception
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:I had sprint for two years and liked them but their phones sucked so I got Tmobile now which has funny reception

Doesn't sound so bad; my reception from Verizon is depressingly serious. I'd like it to lighten up a little.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

We need cells for work.

Isn't Sprint called Embarq now? What's with the Q, did they want it to sound less American and more like "Iraq?" Stupid marketing people.

:-? not that i'm aware of.

i guess my main beef with sprint is that it doesnt work when i go up north or to Canada by my Cingualr work phone does
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:17 pm

Sprint today announced its local service will be EMBARQ
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Coppermine wrote:Image

oh...didnt realize it just happened today...i only get my world news updates from the Cafe.

i should be able to drop them as a provider due to that lame name
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Image

oh...didnt realize it just happened today...i only get my world news updates from the Cafe.

i should be able to drop them as a provider due to that lame name

No, that was an old cut-and-past story... sorry. I think it was announced in Feb and implemented at the beginning of the summer. I'm already seeing Embarq vans driving around.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk