Cable providing home phone service - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Cable providing home phone service

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cable providing home phone service

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:23 pm

I have Time Warner cable and am considering using their phone service. We don't use our phone much and we come out way cheaper (I think) if we get their cable/Roadrunner/phone package.

Anyone had experience with this kind of phone service? Only drawback I see is that when cable is out - phone is out.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm

We had the Cox digital phone service for a month. After regular outages and problems along with perhaps the worst customer service experience ever (a really freaky story) we switched back to SBC. The $5 savings a month was no where worth the hassle.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:45 pm

Here on Long Island we have a phone company, Verizon, now offering fiber-optic cable TV. ;-D "Operation Squash Cablevison" will surely put a dent in that greedy bastard Dolan's pocket.
Monopolies :-t
Freedom of choice ;-D

Don't know much about Time Warner. I just wanted to express my joy that us people who can't opt for satelite TV due to too many trees surrounding our houses can finally rid ourselves of a cable tyrant.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:23 am

I've got my phone thru the local cable company and I really like it. The only real drawback is that when the power goes out the phone goes out.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Coppermine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:06 am

I have a quickie question; I have not had a landline style phone for about 5 years... I don't see much of a point having a cell phone and especially now that almost everywhere you can use that as your home phone number now.

Now, I don't even pay a whole lot a month for my cellular service, and I certainly don't spend much time gabbing on the phone. I call my mom in Florida once a week, but even then, my cell bill is never more than the flat $50/month.

So why bother? I'm sure you have a cell phone, everyone does now... I've just been trying to talk people into this. It's like an aversion that you have to have a household phone. Also, but just using your cellular number, you don't have to be listed in the phone book or get harrassed by telemarketers. And, of course, if someone important calls and you're not at home... you can still get it.

I don't know, just my two cents, everyone I've talked to seems to have their own reason for paying for the landline.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:18 am

Tavish wrote:We had the Cox digital phone service for a month. After regular outages and problems along with perhaps the worst customer service experience ever (a really freaky story) we switched back to SBC. The $5 savings a month was no where worth the hassle.

Cox is absolutely horrible...I have had my own problems with them and their terrible customer service. :-P

But, I'm moving in to a house next month that has no internet option besides Cox, Dial-Up, or Satellite internet (expensive) so it looks like I'm stuck. I really will miss SBC DSL.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 am

Coppermine wrote:I have a quickie question; I have not had a landline style phone for about 5 years... I don't see much of a point having a cell phone and especially now that almost everywhere you can use that as your home phone number now.

Now, I don't even pay a whole lot a month for my cellular service, and I certainly don't spend much time gabbing on the phone. I call my mom in Florida once a week, but even then, my cell bill is never more than the flat $50/month.

So why bother? I'm sure you have a cell phone, everyone does now... I've just been trying to talk people into this. It's like an aversion that you have to have a household phone. Also, but just using your cellular number, you don't have to be listed in the phone book or get harrassed by telemarketers. And, of course, if someone important calls and you're not at home... you can still get it.

I don't know, just my two cents, everyone I've talked to seems to have their own reason for paying for the landline.

Copper, I agree with you, but keep in mind that the reason for this thread was because cable companies actually give you bundle discounts to have the phone line thrown in with the TV/Internet package. So it's actually saving you money to have the phone line. I didn't want one either but when I learned this how can you pass it up to pay more money for less? I have a phone in my house that I give out to people/businesses who I don't want to call me. I have 1 single phone hooked to the line, but the ringer is always turned off. The phone is there for emergency purposes only.

I agree though, phone lines are a thing of the past.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:24 am

Tavish wrote:We had the Cox digital phone service for a month. After regular outages and problems along with perhaps the worst customer service experience ever (a really freaky story) we switched back to SBC. The $5 savings a month was no where worth the hassle.

Similar experience here. We have Cox Cable and Cox Internet. We tried the package deal, but after we kept getting screwed around, we switched back to Qwest.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Similar experience here. We have Cox Cable and Cox Internet. We tried the package deal, but after we kept getting screwed around, we switched back to Qwest.

So do you pay more without the phone line? I'm looking to sign up for a bundle for a new house that we're moving in to, and everything I've seen looks like it's cheaper to have the phone line. I'm even considering ordering the phone line and then never even installing the VOIP box for it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:44 am

slomo007 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

So do you pay more without the phone line? I'm looking to sign up for a bundle for a new house that we're moving in to, and everything I've seen looks like it's cheaper to have the phone line. I'm even considering ordering the phone line and then never even installing the VOIP box for it.

It does cost more to not have the package, but it is worth it to be rid of the hassle...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk