Will 2007 drafts be the most unpredictable in recent years? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will 2007 drafts be the most unpredictable in recent years?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:30 am

sportsguy138 wrote:why don't you have santana in there? is he not good enough to crack your top 19? :-?

I don't draft pitching in my first two picks. Period.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:why don't you have santana in there? is he not good enough to crack your top 19? :-?

One of the best pitcher in the game today that should be great in years to come and with some good pitchers having some question marks you really wouldnt take him anywhere with your first two picks? Assuming for example your part of a 12 team league, and for example lets say he's left in the second round, which I really don't think he would be, you can honestly say you wouldn't pick him? I know I definetly would.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 408)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:05 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:

I think you can make a legitimate case of taking Johan Santana with a #3-5 pick for the reason he seems like the safest bet when most pitchers like Liriano, like Kazmir, and of course, your Rich Hardens and Ben Sheetses of the world, have lingering questions hovering over them. However, I think like this year, the draft should be chock full of quality arms that can be had in later rounds.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:50 pm

I find it funny how someone like Bay falls to the end of the 2nd on most people's sheets. He's on pace to beat his 2005 R/HR/RBI totals. Also, last year he stole the majority of his basis towards the end of the season.

Last Year: 110/32/101/21
On Pace for this year: 111/38/121/11
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:53 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:

You can take Abreu and Dye over Santana if you want but I think you're crazy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 352)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:21 pm

cordscords wrote:Still a months worth of stats to take in before I even think about sorting out the first round.

Very true. What if Berkman hits 475 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs in the month of September? Way too early right now to even start scratching out a list.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:28 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
cordscords wrote:Still a months worth of stats to take in before I even think about sorting out the first round.

Very true. What if Berkman hits 475 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs in the month of September? Way too early right now to even start scratching out a list.

I think those are the only circumstances where a players performance should sway your opinion on there ranking for next year. The last month of the season shouldn't have much effect at all on your rankings of a player unless that month is too one extreme or another..... (475 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs or .200 0hr 5rbi) I think you absolutely can do rankings right now with out much concern, if you were to rank for next year right now and it somehow completely changes based on what you see in 1 month then something is wrong with the way you go about ranking, IMO.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:45 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I think this is a great question, and I think the original sentiment is correct -- next year will be a question mark.

My thought on the matter is that the shoe-ins like Vlad and ARod and Manny are getting outproduced pretty badly by the likes of Jermaine Dye and others. Take Beltran over Vlad or Manny? Seems early. Take Howard before Crawford? It's unclear to me. And guys like Holliday and Dye -- where on earth are these guys going to go. Reyes -- are people going to go with him over someong like Vlad?

One thing we can all agree on, I'm sure: Yahoo's official rankings will be very, very comical.

Edit: My Pre-rankings right now would be (I don't put Santana in):

Definente 1st Rounders:
1. Albert Pujols
2. Alfonso Soriano
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. David Ortiz
5. Vladimir Guerrero
6. Manny Ramirez
7. Carl Crawford
8. D. Wright
9. Carlos Beltran
10. J. Reyes
11. R. Howard
12. C. Utley
13. Mig. Cabrera
14. D. Jeter
15. M. Tejada
16. T. Hafner
17. J. Dye
18. Bay
19. Abreau

hmm dye and jeter over bay? on what planet? bay will probably be a player that goes from pick 10-14.. hes on pace to break last years stats in just about everything except sbs.. he is definatly more reliable and younger then dye.. saying jeter at 14 is overrating him huge.. jose reyes without a doubt is ahead of carl crawford, reyes has better numbers plus he plays ss. utley is way 2 high.. abreu at 19 is crazy, i would take tejada or santana over him any day of the week..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:

You can take Abreu and Dye over Santana if you want but I think you're crazy.

He's not saying that Dye and Abreu are better than santana. He knows that he won't take Santana so there was no point in putting him in his rankings. Someone will snag him in the first and he doesn't care.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:44 pm

I don't take pitchers the first two rounds because I play my pitchers very conservatively. I pitch only good matchups, so sometimes I'll only pitch my best pitchers every other start or so. If that's the way it is with Santana, for instance (i.e., I wouldn't start him v. NYY), that's a big value dump for me when I could have Utley going every day, or even Dye going every day. I'd rather grab a Halladay or Kazmir or the like a bit later on. My first two picks are always for guys I get everyday value out of.

But, to bring this thread a bit more back on track -- though I think the batters in the draft will be quite unpredictable next season, I think pitchers should fall in line pretty predictably.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers