Please weigh in on league controversy WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please weigh in on league controversy WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please weigh in on league controversy WHIR

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:29 pm

12-team h2h points league. Please help me out and I'll be happy to help you, this is very controversial today in my league and determines the playoffs. I noted my final argument with an * btw:

Our league has two separate tie-breaking systems, one for regular season and one for playoff seeding.

Currently, we have 3 teams tied with a 33-30 record and only two playoff spots for those teams. (Playoffs are supposed to start today).

The "Rules" page on the website claim the Regular Season Standings tie-breaker breaks down this way:
1) Winning Percentage
2) Total Points

Additionally, the Commish has a separate e-mail he sent out last year & this year determining "Playoff Seed Tie-Breakers," which states:

Playoff Seeding

The top two records will get the #1 & #2 seeds as well as a bye for the first playoff round.

The remaining teams will be seeded according to record. Tie-breakers for any ties in playoff seeding will go:
1-better head-to-head record, then
2-better division record, then
3-higher total season points

* My argument is that the Regular Season tie-breaker and the Playoff Seeding Tie-breaker are two separate things. So the two teams with the most total points should get those last two playoff sports.... then, the playoff seeding should be determined based on the "Playoff Seed" tie-breaker.

Does that make sense to you?
Thanks, all.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:33 pm

It does and I agree.

Who gets into the playoffs is different than how you rank them once they're there.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:52 pm

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Commish's email is specifically about seeding, and the league rules page is clear about the playoffs, so what's the controversy?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 pm

You got it. You rank the regular season, fill the qualifying spots in that order, then hand out the post-season seeding.

That said, that system is bad. The system that ranks the regular season peeps should rank the post-season simultaneously. It makes no sense to end the season as the #3 team, but to qualify as the #2 team by a separate set of rules.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby noseeum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:58 pm

JTWood wrote:You got it. You rank the regular season, fill the qualifying spots in that order, then hand out the post-season seeding.

That said, that system is bad. The system that ranks the regular season peeps should rank the post-season simultaneously. It makes no sense to end the season as the #3 team, but to qualify as the #2 team by a separate set of rules.

Agreed on this point. Bad system, but it's clear how it works. Fix it for next year.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:04 pm

JTWood wrote:You got it. You rank the regular season, fill the qualifying spots in that order, then hand out the post-season seeding.

This is how I read it as well. You definitely will need to fix this though for next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers