Need some tech help - slow startup and shutdown... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need some tech help - slow startup and shutdown...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some tech help - slow startup and shutdown...

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:06 am

Hey guys -

Lately I have been having issues with my startup and shutdown taking forever. I think it is due to having a bunch of things running the background that I don't need, but I'm not sure how to determine what I need and what I don't. Do you know of a website or anything that will tell me which processes are necessary to have running all the time and how I should turn them off so they don't run automatically when I start the computer?

Right now when I look at the Windows Task Manager, I have 65 processes running but the only windows I have open are Outlook, 1 IE window, 1 Firefox window and Yahoo IM. I can tell what some of the processes running are but not all (like 7 different svchost.exe) and I would like to eliminate as many as possible.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. ;-D
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:07 am

Delete your temp files, uninstall software you no longer use, run a CHKDSK and a defrag and check for spyware.

65 processes is not particularly unusual and svhost is a system process. You're better off just uninstalling what you no longer need; that should clean up your startup processes.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:36 am

If you're comfortable messing around in your registry...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1590
79-99 could be helpful.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 am

Coppermine wrote:Delete your temp files, uninstall software you no longer use, run a CHKDSK and a defrag and check for spyware.

65 processes is not particularly unusual and svhost is a system process. You're better off just uninstalling what you no longer need; that should clean up your startup processes.

Where do you go to delete temp files on a PC? Are you talking about other temp files than IE, like in Outlook or Microsoft Office stuff?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 pm

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Delete your temp files, uninstall software you no longer use, run a CHKDSK and a defrag and check for spyware.

Where do you go to delete temp files on a PC? Are you talking about other temp files than IE, like in Outlook or Microsoft Office stuff?

Do this...

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

That will give you options on what can be deleted to free up space.

Also, if you use Firefox (and I see you do), open Firefox and go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache and click "Clear cache now."

Firefox's "cache" is the same as IE's Temporary Internet Files.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:06 pm

check here http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist ... sklist.htm or just google the name/process. you will usually find a website with a description and recommendation what to do (leave alone, delete, or disable). if you have spybot, managing your startup progs is pretty easy. in advanced mode check under tools for system startup. uncheck things you want to keep but dont want running on startup, delete things you dont want to keep.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Start === Run ------ MSCONFIG--- Startup

Google the entries before unchecking them to make sure they won't hose your system
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 pm

My wife's computer is a PC and it is VERY slow. I'm going to try this stuff tonight and see if that helps. That's the one I'm asking about here. My Mac running Firefox is still aces 18 months after I bought it. ;-D

I installed spybot on it a while ago, plus she has Norton 2005. I just ran a check last night and she had one virus, but nothing major.

What I don't understand is why your caches should slow down startup so much. Maybe there are other programs getting crammed into the startup sequence? I checked the Startup folder and there are only three things in there (can't remember them now and I'm at work), but nothing in there raised any red flags for me.

Thanks for the tech help, Copper and ACS. It's great that you guys are willing to answer questions like this, especially when I know you get these at work a lot and they drive you nuts because they're so basic. Again - thanks. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:47 pm

performance degradation cannot be avoided and will happen on every PC. i find doing a clean windows installation the best method, once 2-3 yrs. if you can also, make sure you have ample RAM. it always helps, especially boot / shutdown times.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:17 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:performance degradation cannot be avoided and will happen on every PC. i find doing a clean windows installation the best method, once 2-3 yrs. if you can also, make sure you have ample RAM. it always helps, especially boot / shutdown times.

Good point but if you don't know how to do a clean install:

1. Spy sweep
2. Virus scan
3. Cleanup startup folder
4. Cleanup MSCONFIG startup
5. Turn off unneccessary services
6. Delete temp files
7. Defrag
8. Install more ram
9. Buy a better computer :)

BTW for those of you who aren't afraid to fiddle with your PC try http://www.tweakxp.com there are some great performance tips in there. Pretty easy to follow. Just double check before you start fiddling with the registry
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk