Is Tejada overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Tejada overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
TB13 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:reyes (by quite a margin, 5 cat stud)
tejada (only because of his name value)

I do not agree with Reyes "by a wide margin"? How is he a 5-cat stud, when Miggy beats him by a rather wide margin in 3 of the cats? Reyes has the edge in steals (a lot to basically non-existent) and runs, but Miggy has the wide edge (it is not even close) in homers, rbi's & BA. If it is an OPS league, the disparity between the two is even greater.

It is not entirely accurate to say that he is fading. This is actually one of his better years. To me, he is still king of the SS crop and easily a top-24 player.

saying a player is a 5 cat player isnt comparing him to the guy who is the best hr and rbi shortstop.. it is talking overall, on average against all the other short stops.. come on man get your head on straight. reyes.. 15 hr a lot for a shortstop (top 7) rbi 66 (top 9) B.A (around top 10) runs (1st) sbs (1st) i dont see how you could say hes not a 5 cat stud? by the way reyes really isnt very far behind tejada in hrs.. reyes 298 avg isnt shabby either, that definatly makes him good at that category.

Since when does being in ninth place at something make you a stud? Also, how many SSs are being used in a normal league? If a league is using twelve shortstops, then being 9/12 isn't too hot.

Reyes and Tejada both definitely have value and aren't too far apart from each other. Also, hindsight is 20/20 right now. Reyes has been healthy so far this season, but there was no gurantee of that in April. Tejada is going to play the season for you while Reyes was a question mark. Sure it looks nice now to compare them, but Reyes was the greater preseason risk. Consistency has value too.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:41 am

RAmst23 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:
TB13 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:reyes (by quite a margin, 5 cat stud)
tejada (only because of his name value)

I do not agree with Reyes "by a wide margin"? How is he a 5-cat stud, when Miggy beats him by a rather wide margin in 3 of the cats? Reyes has the edge in steals (a lot to basically non-existent) and runs, but Miggy has the wide edge (it is not even close) in homers, rbi's & BA. If it is an OPS league, the disparity between the two is even greater.

It is not entirely accurate to say that he is fading. This is actually one of his better years. To me, he is still king of the SS crop and easily a top-24 player.

saying a player is a 5 cat player isnt comparing him to the guy who is the best hr and rbi shortstop.. it is talking overall, on average against all the other short stops.. come on man get your head on straight. reyes.. 15 hr a lot for a shortstop (top 7) rbi 66 (top 9) B.A (around top 10) runs (1st) sbs (1st) i dont see how you could say hes not a 5 cat stud? by the way reyes really isnt very far behind tejada in hrs.. reyes 298 avg isnt shabby either, that definatly makes him good at that category.

Since when does being in ninth place at something make you a stud? Also, how many SSs are being used in a normal league? If a league is using twelve shortstops, then being 9/12 isn't too hot.

hmm.. even if a league is using 12 shortstops youre making the assumtion that every team in the league has one of the top 12.. which in most cases will not happen.. some teams may have 2 or 3 of those top 12, and other teams will have really sorry ones.. so thats not a good argument. sbs are one of the hardest cat's to get.. and when you find a guy that can lead the league in sbs and runs plus get you 20hrs and 80rbis, and hit right around 300.. i really dont see how he wouldnt be the best ss in the league? tejada yes he hits for a killer average but after that nothing he does is spectacular.. it looks like this to me..

Totals as of now..

BA- Tejada>>Reyes
HR- Tejada>Reyes
RBI- Tejada>>Reyes
RUNS- Tejada<<Reyes
SBS- Tejada<<<<<<Reyes

Tejada wins in 3 of 5 cats, but the margin of Reyes's lead in Sbs is way 2 much higher then anything Tejada does over Reyes. Reyes hurts you in nothing, while tejadas sbs hurt a team, considering the fact that the ss position is normally one where youre supposed to get sbs. Tejada will win you no category, but in a roto league if you have reyes you will be near the top in sbs, and most likely runs. Rollins and and Jeter both have a strong argument of being ahead of tejada, they both are putting up similar seasons to him..
Jose Reyes is the new number 1 shortstop in the league, and will be for years to come.. You can agree with that or not, its up 2 u.. but i sure hope there are many more out there like you that would even think of taking tejada before reyes in a draft.. Then I will benefit greatly next season :-b
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:56 am

Send him somewhere other then suckimore and he'd put up much better numbers.

Not overrated considering he's a SS
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Half Massed » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:56 am

There's something to be said to consistently around .300 average, 100 RBIs, and over 25 HRs from a SS. I wouldn't call him overrated at all. It's not like people are saying to take him in the top 10 anymore.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TB13 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:03 am

activechamp2006 wrote:nd when you find a guy that can lead the league in sbs and runs plus get you 20hrs and 80rbis, and hit right around 300.. i really dont see how he wouldnt be the best ss in the league?

Let me know when Reyes gets to 20 homers & 80 rbi's. You are trumpeting his newfound power and are completely choosing to ignore the fact that Reyes is having a very atypical month. Not only is he scorching hot, but he has had a power spike that is not indicative of anything that he is capable of. He has 6 homers & 22 rbi's this month. For a little prespective, please consider that he has more homers and the same amount of rbi's as Justin Morneau. The same amount of homers and only 2 rbi's less than Vlad Guerrero. Same amount of homers and more rbis' than Beltran. You think that this type of month is normal for him?

What you are doing is taking Reyes when he is having a month as good as any player either has had or can have, and using it as a barometer to predict some fairly lofty numbers for him. Nothing in his history suggests that he is even remotely capable of sustaining such numbers. EVERYTHING in his history tells you that such a month is a fluke and is not indicative of what he can give you.

while tejadas sbs hurt a team, considering the fact that the ss position is normally one where youre supposed to get sbs.

The flip side of that is hat tejada gives you numbers in 3 cats that are much greater than what the ss position is supposed to give you.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers