Is Tejada overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Tejada overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 am

BTOWNHESS wrote:If you take into account he's off steroids now, his numbers wont be as good as 2004 and prior. But he'll still get you 25 homers and 100 RBI's a year.

His current OPS is still slightly better than what he was putting up in 2004. He's just hitting for a bit less power, and more average.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:33 am

BTOWNHESS wrote:If you take into account he's off steroids now, his numbers wont be as good as 2004 and prior. But he'll still get you 25 homers and 100 RBI's a year.

When was he on them? MLB has tested from 03 on. Tejada has never failed a test. His ops right now is better then his mvp 04 season, and his ops+ last year was better. His rc/27 is the same now as it was in 04. He hasn't dropped a bit.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:47 am

wrveres wrote:You forgot to list his RBI's ..

I think SB's are overrated personally, especially when you can routinely pull guys like Taveras or Roberts off the wire if you do your homework.

.330/30 hr's/100 runs/100 rbis is nothing to sneeze at from a MI, and Tejada is on pace to have one of his better years.
I would still take him in the top 24.

i doubt he hits 30 home runs this season.. probably around 26.. matching last years total, since the first month he hasn't hit more then 3 home runs.. i dont see that changing.
i agree this is one of miguels better years, he should be a lock for 325 26hr 100 and 100.. but i really wouldnt count on him for that as a lock every season, especially with the crappy team he has backing him up.. i see tejada as a guy who will get you a 310-320BA 20-28hr 85-95runs 90-110rbis yr in and yr out.. i agree with everyone else, he is now fading into a top 24 player, no longer a top 12.. i would take reyes over him in a heart beat, anyone who thinks sbs are easy to find is just ignorant or lucky.. unless you play in a 10 team league or less.. but when you play in big roto leagues like i do 16+ it is really tough to come by sb's.. i think it all deppends on the depth of your league, and if its roto or h2h..
my top 5 ss are
reyes (by quite a margin, 5 cat stud)
tejada (only because of his name value)
jeter (only reason he gets nod over rollins is BA)
rollins (pure 4 cat stud. with decent avg)
glaus(pure 4 cat guy, but kills your avg)

on the block.. hanley,guillen
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:49 am

I've always thought Tejada is overrated. He's a great player, but people tend to mention him with the likes of Arod or Vlad. The fact is that nothing other than his RBI totals have backed this up. There was a Tejada vs. Chavez thread last season, and I think it proved quite easily that Tejada is NOT a top-50 hitter based on real life value.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:22 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:I've always thought Tejada is overrated. He's a great player, but people tend to mention him with the likes of Arod or Vlad. The fact is that nothing other than his RBI totals have backed this up. There was a Tejada vs. Chavez thread last season, and I think it proved quite easily that Tejada is NOT a top-50 hitter based on real life value.

IRL

OPS

05 ranked 39th
06 ranks 37th

RC/27

05 ranked 50th
06 ranks 49th

He could walk alot more. He's not the 1.000 ops player Arod/Vlad have been.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby eftda » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:28 am

Hootie, could you quickly rank these 3 stats in order of importance for a regular 5x5 league?

ops
slg
obp

also, you seem to know which stats to use for hitting, which stats do you look at for pitching?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:14 am

eftda wrote:Hootie, could you quickly rank these 3 stats in order of importance for a regular 5x5 league?

ops
slg
obp

also, you seem to know which stats to use for hitting, which stats do you look at for pitching?

I gave his IRL stats in ops, rc/27. Since 5x5 over values the sb so much, you can't really use the above mentioned stats to rank guys. Those show hitting only. Don't reflect sb, runs/rbis at all.

But out of your 3, go with ops/oba/slg

Pitching to judge future performance, i like

K/9
K/BB
HR/9

To rate pitchers irl

era+
vorp
praa
hit rate %
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:32 am

activechamp2006 wrote:reyes (by quite a margin, 5 cat stud)

I do not agree with Reyes "by a wide margin"? How is he a 5-cat stud, when Miggy beats him by a rather wide margin in 3 of the cats? Reyes has the edge in steals (a lot to basically non-existent) and runs, but Miggy has the wide edge (it is not even close) in homers, rbi's & BA. If it is an OPS league, the disparity between the two is even greater.

It is not entirely accurate to say that he is fading. This is actually one of his better years. To me, he is still king of the SS crop and easily a top-24 player.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:54 pm

TB13 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:reyes (by quite a margin, 5 cat stud)

I do not agree with Reyes "by a wide margin"? How is he a 5-cat stud, when Miggy beats him by a rather wide margin in 3 of the cats? Reyes has the edge in steals (a lot to basically non-existent) and runs, but Miggy has the wide edge (it is not even close) in homers, rbi's & BA. If it is an OPS league, the disparity between the two is even greater.

It is not entirely accurate to say that he is fading. This is actually one of his better years. To me, he is still king of the SS crop and easily a top-24 player.

saying a player is a 5 cat player isnt comparing him to the guy who is the best hr and rbi shortstop.. it is talking overall, on average against all the other short stops.. come on man get your head on straight. reyes.. 15 hr a lot for a shortstop (top 7) rbi 66 (top 9) B.A (around top 10) runs (1st) sbs (1st) i dont see how you could say hes not a 5 cat stud? by the way reyes really isnt very far behind tejada in hrs.. reyes 298 avg isnt shabby either, that definatly makes him good at that category.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TB13 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:06 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:saying a player is a 5 cat player isnt comparing him to the guy who is the best hr and rbi shortstop....

I understand what it means, however I do not consider Reyes to be a 5-cat stud. Don't get me wrong, he contributes in all areas, but a 5-cat stud he is not.
it is talking overall, on average against all the other short stops.. come on man get your head on straight.

Sorry, my head is quite straight. When considering what constitutes a 5-cat stud, to me it does not take into account on how he fares on average to other short stops, but rather against all other MLB players. When one calls someone a 5-cat stud, it means that he is a stud when compared to all players, not just players of certain positions. At leat that is what it means to me. Feel free to have your own standards of judgement.
by the way reyes really isnt very far behind tejada in hrs

I can make a similar correlation and state that given where they bat in the batting order of their particular lineup and the type of lineup that they bat in, that Miggy is not all that far behind Reyes in runs. Not that I truly believe that, but 7 homers is a fairly sizeable amount to be trailing by, considering that that number will probably increase. I believe that the 6 homers that Reyes hit this month are a fluke, nothing but a temprorary spike. He is not going to have many 6 homer months.
reyes 298 avg isnt shabby either, that definatly makes him good at that category.

I never said that it is a bad average. It is just fine. However, it is hardly great. Tejada's BA has him in the top-10 of baseball (not just shortstops). It is a far cry from .298.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers