Unethical move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unethical move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:06 pm

With that lineup, why is he in 5th? He must have the worst pitching as well. Is it roto style? If so, all that offense only helps in half the categories, so all you have to do is beat his pitching and get some SBs.

Probably why he's in 5th.

About the tactic, I don't like it. Throwing a game is weak. I don't think that can be called strategy.

In roto style head to head, I've shut down all my SPs in a week where I built up a strong lead by Thursday or something like that. That's strategy to win a week. To throw away a week in order to screw someone else in the standing is very close to collusion, even if the other owner doesn't know you're helping him. You're throwing a game. Whatever you call it, throwing a game is never cool.

I wouldn't do it.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shmolex » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Well, his pitching consists of

Saito
Lidge
Turnbow
Neshek
Rhodes
Dempster
Papelbon

and since our league counts HR, Whip, ERA, K/9, and SV as categories in addition to W, K, CG he has a pretty good shot at winning 5/8 categories. Although as you would expect, there have been some weeks where his staff completely blows up or doesn't make the min innings. That's probably why he's in fifth. Then there are the weeks where he has an ERA and WHIP of 0.6. That's why I dont want to play him. It's basically a crapshoot.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:48 pm

shmolex wrote:Well, his pitching consists of

Saito
Lidge
Turnbow
Neshek
Rhodes
Dempster
Papelbon

and since our league counts HR, Whip, ERA, K/9, and SV as categories in addition to W, K, CG he has a pretty good shot at winning 5/8 categories. Although as you would expect, there have been some weeks where his staff completely blows up or doesn't make the min innings. That's probably why he's in fifth. Then there are the weeks where he has an ERA and WHIP of 0.6. That's why I dont want to play him. It's basically a crapshoot.

If you're posting here asking, you're clearly torn about it. That should tell you what to do. I'm sure you'd rather win your league fair and square, so do that.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 pm

What you're doing is not against the rules.
What you're doing is not particularly unethical.
What you're doing is playing a bit of strategy. Fine by itself, and more than warranted when used against a jerk-face like you opponent.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 pm

noseeum wrote:If you're posting here asking, you're clearly torn about it. That should tell you what to do. I'm sure you'd rather win your league fair and square, so do that.

we have a bingo.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kurtangletn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Its unfair for him, just because he is talking trash.

I love trash talking in my leagues, it shows competition and overall the winner will feel ALOT better.

I think it borders on unethical really, but its pretty common fantasy baseball practice.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:00 pm

remember clippers vs nuggets this year? losing on purpose happens in real life.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby savvy_stu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Had a similar situation like this in my fantasy football league last season.

Top four teams made the playoffs in a ten team league. I was in 3rd place, and I was playing the owner in 2nd in the last week of the season. Whichever one of us lost that week, could potentially have missed the playoffs. So, instead, we decided to ensure a tie, by benching both of our rosters. A 0-0 tie ensured that we both made the playoffs. It pissed off the guy in 5th place, but let's be honest, there was more strategy involved in the formulation of our rosters that week, than either of us had used for any other game that season.

Fantasy sports are games. There are conventional ways of winning and unconventional ways of winning. But if your goal is to win, then do everything within the rules to win.

Unethical? Not if you're doing it to improve your own chances at winning. But make sure *that* is your motivation. Don't let your primary motivation be to punish a smack-talker. Every league needs them.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:17 pm

savvy_stu wrote:Had a similar situation like this in my fantasy football league last season.

Top four teams made the playoffs in a ten team league. I was in 3rd place, and I was playing the owner in 2nd in the last week of the season. Whichever one of us lost that week, could potentially have missed the playoffs. So, instead, we decided to ensure a tie, by benching both of our rosters. A 0-0 tie ensured that we both made the playoffs. It pissed off the guy in 5th place, but let's be honest, there was more strategy involved in the formulation of our rosters that week, than either of us had used for any other game that season.

Um, savvy_stu, that is pretty much the textbook definition of collusion.

You are both choosing actions, i.e. benching your own players, that would in any normal situation be considered detrimental to your team, but since you've both ageed to do it, you are both benefitting.

Two competitors cooperating to the detriment of another is collusion. You're not supposed to cooperate with any of your competitors. You're supposed to compete with them.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:26 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:remember clippers vs nuggets this year? losing on purpose happens in real life.

So does cheating and collusion, but I'm pretty sure most of us agree that neither of those have a place in the game either.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers