Unethical move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unethical move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unethical move?

Postby shmolex » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:29 am

I find myself in an interesting position for the final week of the regular season for H2H. The 6 playoffs teams are set. I've got a 6.5 game lead on second place so I should be set for first place. 2nd and 3rd place are neck and neck, while 4,5, and 6 are way behind. The 5th and 6th place teams are within 0.5 games of each other.

The 5th place team has been talking a riduculous amount of trash the entire year, and for good reason as his lineup consists of

C Hernandez
1B Ortiz
2b Utley
3b Rodriguez
SS Tejada
OF Bay
OF Guerrero
OF Pods
Util Tex

Believe it or not, collusion was not involved in the contruction of this lineup.

Anyway, I happen to be playing the 6th place team this week. If I were to throw away some of the categories this week, I could easily get the 6th place team to move ahead of the 5th place team. That way I could completely avoid this team until the final playoff round, where I would be guaranteed to finish in the money.

After talking so much trash, I would love to drop him into 6th place. But it kinda feels unethical to me. Should I do it?

Oh, and he is the same guy as the commissioner I discussed here.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:55 am

I don't see anything unethical about that
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 am

My opinion in Fantasy Baseball strategy is this: anything the rules don't prohibit you from doing, you can do. If your league doesn't have move limits, move all you want. No IP maximum, pitch all you want. No stipulation for "throwing your week," go ahead and throw it.

If it were me, I'd look to take him out with some solid in-week strategy. Pitching and sitting the right guys, make it look like you're roster-loading probable pitchers to get him to do the same, only to bench your pitchers right before their games, picking up WW guys to fill in in-week shortages, etc. Take him out now.

But no, it's not unethical.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:03 am

i dont think its unethical, your just using strategy.

if you don't want to face that lineup and you can see a way to avoid it going to the final round (which guarantees you the money) then i say go for it. your not cheating or doing anything wrong IMO. ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 407)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 am

I don't think it's exactly fair, and tanking like that is something that would definitely be frowned upon in my league (it's agaisnt the spirit of competition). I'm not sure I would do it, but you know what, I think it's time to get some payback on that guy for pulling that "sneak" move early in the season. Go for it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:31 am

If baseball were predictable and everyone knew what would happen in given week/game/season, then it wouldn't be much of a "sport".

I'm with mweir, not something I'd do, but ethics seem to be lacking throughout your league, so your move would fit right in.

But since baseball isn't predictable, and since there's no guarantee of anything in a given week (see, e.g. Bennett having as many homers as Pujols), nothing is really "guaranteed" by your actions, so besides the point about not trying, there's nothing "illegal" about it, so go for it.
Last edited by Dawgpound 1613 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:08 am

It's not something that I'd do. I'm against tanking in any form. But, It does seem that your league is lacking in the ethics area, so I'd say do what you have to do.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:03 am

no that's not unethical imo
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gfantasy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:45 am

Wouldnt fly in our league. As commish, I know that all of my owners would blow up my phone immediately.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:19 pm

How did he get that lineup? Even if his pitching is trash, that lineup is still insane. He has 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers