I bet they miss Abreu and Lidle now .. ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 am

Zito is God wrote:This is basically what I think. Conine is a proven leader in the clubhouse and has been a well liked guy everywhere he went. His bat is about as mediocre as it gets though.

Conine's bat agaisnt lefties is better than Dellucci's.
That was basically the point of the trade, in addition to his leadership qualities.

Another good trade addition by Gillick.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:26 am

wrveres wrote:Decent pickup for the Phils..

I bet they miss Abreu and Lidle now .. ;-7

Lidle...maybe.

But Abreu? They were lucky to get somebody to take his massive contract off them at that time, and I'm sure they're still fine with him going in that deal. It was made to gain more financial flexibility in the future when they can actually become a real contender.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:56 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I don't see the point of this deal at all. Dellucci is doing quite well, why spend the money on a team that probobly won't wualify and bring in another guy to fill the roster and platoon?

What's wrong with this deal? The Phillies are 1-1/2 games out of the wild card, and prior to today their bench consisted of guys like C. Roberson, D. Sandoval, J. Thurston, C. Coste.. :-o

Now they have a veteran guy they can bring off the bench in pinch-hitting situations and who you can reliably give some starts to now and then.. I don't see how this trade is anything but good for the Phillies..

Conine is no answer to anyone! Dellucci looks like a solid hitter with a career year before being traded/platooned. Wasting money on a bench player that has mediocre power and speed isn't something I call a good move.

Lifetime Dellucci is a .208 hitter with a .587 OPS against lefties.
This year, Conine is a .272 hitter with a .795 OPS against lefties.

The Phillies need a fifth OF who is a RH hitter. Conine's no great shakes, but he's cheap and he'll give the Phils far more than Dellucci will against lefties.

exactly ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Tiex » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:26 am

mweir145 wrote:
Zito is God wrote:This is basically what I think. Conine is a proven leader in the clubhouse and has been a well liked guy everywhere he went. His bat is about as mediocre as it gets though.

Conine's bat agaisnt lefties is better than Dellucci's.
That was basically the point of the trade, in addition to his leadership qualities.

Another good trade addition by Gillick.

I agree, this trade will do nothing but improve a very shaky phil's bench...nice move
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:42 pm

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. I think it is a solid move for the Phils that improves the depth of the bench with a veteran presence who has playoff experience and two WS rings.

This is a move that is very similar to the Moyer move of a week ago both Moyer and Conine replace young players on the roster and provide the roster with additional age and experience.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers