Conine Dealt to Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Conine Dealt to Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Conine Dealt to Phillies

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Phillies acquired first baseman-outfielder Jeff Conine and cash from the Orioles for a player to be named.

Conine will take over as David Dellucci's platoon partner in the outfield and serve as a pinch-hitter. What starts he gets against righties will come in place of the sore-footed Pat Burrell. It's likely that he'll have a little value in NL-only leagues, but that's it. The Orioles will give Kevin Millar and Brandon Fahey more playing time.
rotoworld

Waste of money for the Phillies I think.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 137)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:11 pm

I don't see the point of this deal at all. Dellucci is doing quite well, why spend the money on a team that probobly won't wualify and bring in another guy to fill the roster and platoon?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BTOWNHESS » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Whats even more suprising about this deal is that Conine is still in MLB
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants! » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:17 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:Whats even more suprising about this deal is that Conine is still in MLB

Conine's a servicable player.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:18 pm

Zito is God wrote:I don't see the point of this deal at all. Dellucci is doing quite well, why spend the money on a team that probobly won't wualify and bring in another guy to fill the roster and platoon?

What's wrong with this deal? The Phillies are 1-1/2 games out of the wild card, and prior to today their bench consisted of guys like C. Roberson, D. Sandoval, J. Thurston, C. Coste.. :-o

Now they have a veteran guy they can bring off the bench in pinch-hitting situations and who you can reliably give some starts to now and then.. I don't see how this trade is anything but good for the Phillies..
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:23 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I don't see the point of this deal at all. Dellucci is doing quite well, why spend the money on a team that probobly won't wualify and bring in another guy to fill the roster and platoon?

What's wrong with this deal? The Phillies are 1-1/2 games out of the wild card, and prior to today their bench consisted of guys like C. Roberson, D. Sandoval, J. Thurston, C. Coste.. :-o

Now they have a veteran guy they can bring off the bench in pinch-hitting situations and who you can reliably give some starts to now and then.. I don't see how this trade is anything but good for the Phillies..

Conine is no answer to anyone! Dellucci looks like a solid hitter with a career year before being traded/platooned. Wasting money on a bench player that has mediocre power and speed isn't something I call a good move.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:34 pm

There's something to be said about any 40-year old still playing in the majors. Maybe not a big move but it certainly doesn't seem like a bad one. Wouldn't be surprised if getting Conine was more about veteran leadership than boosting the bench.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:43 pm

Zito is God wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:

Conine is no answer to anyone! Dellucci looks like a solid hitter with a career year before being traded/platooned. Wasting money on a bench player that has mediocre power and speed isn't something I call a good move.

Lifetime Dellucci is a .208 hitter with a .587 OPS against lefties.
This year, Conine is a .272 hitter with a .795 OPS against lefties.

The Phillies need a fifth OF who is a RH hitter. Conine's no great shakes, but he's cheap and he'll give the Phils far more than Dellucci will against lefties.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:47 pm

[quote="Amazinz"]There's something to be said about any 40-year old still playing in the majors. Maybe not a big move but it certainly doesn't seem like a bad one. Wouldn't be surprised if getting Conine was more about veteran leadership than boosting the bench.[/quote]

This is basically what I think. Conine is a proven leader in the clubhouse and has been a well liked guy everywhere he went. His bat is about as mediocre as it gets though.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Nothing wrong with that deal for the Phillies imo. They get a veteran bat for the bench that can hit lefties fairly good. I imagine the Orioles are paying for the majority of his remaining contract, so the PTBNL will basically be all that the Phillies lose.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers