Where to find Guitar Stuff? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Where to find Guitar Stuff?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 3 run homer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:32 pm

I agree with ACS, i've had theory, I learned to read music. but ulitmately I just play by feeling and listening with a little tab hear an there, if i need to look at sheet music I can and understand it.

theory is a great a way to tie things together fundamentally. And to communicate with others if lesser or greater talent levels. If you're just learning and trying to understand the why's then you should take a theory class.

If you wanna play music for the sake of playing music then you should play every way possible, by ear, tab, sheet music and most importantly jam with people and your favorite bands on CD.

Once you start creating your own music you won't care what theory is applied, it just feels good.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:39 pm

3 run homer wrote:I agree with ACS, i've had theory, I learned to read music. but ulitmately I just play by feeling and listening with a little tab hear an there, if i need to look at sheet music I can and understand it.

theory is a great a way to tie things together fundamentally. And to communicate with others if lesser or greater talent levels. If you're just learning and trying to understand the why's then you should take a theory class.

If you wanna play music for the sake of playing music then you should play every way possible, by ear, tab, sheet music and most importantly jam with people and your favorite bands on CD.

Once you start creating your own music you won't care what theory is applied, it just feels good.

Bueno!!

Agree 100% Theory is work to me. Music is art
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby 3 run homer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:
3 run homer wrote:I agree with ACS, i've had theory, I learned to read music. but ulitmately I just play by feeling and listening with a little tab hear an there, if i need to look at sheet music I can and understand it.

Bueno!!

Agree 100% Theory is work to me. Music is art

heh right on ;-D

i did forget to add that most sites that offer sheet music are paid sites because the material is copywrited. where as tab, even though music company's are trying to end free tab, it is primarily and interpretation of the music.

so if you want to pick some sheet music up try the usual suspects amazon, musicians friend any other publisher. ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:46 pm

acsguitar wrote:I can read music and I understand basic theory but I never really felt it relevant to what Im doing.

However, I do wish I knew a little more because sometimes you jam with theory based people and need to know what they are talking about

Well, heres the thing: if you know the basics then you are fine to use that and develop on your own, but if you know absolutely no theory (How scales work, how chords are made, learning fretboard, intervals, etc) then I just have a question: How do you play?

I don't want to sound arrogant but seriously, lets say you knew nothing about guitar,. do you just sit down and pick at random notes and random chord shapes and say that you "play guitar"?

acs, by what you said I think you meant that I was reffering to more complicated theory (Harmonics, inversions, etc.) rather then the basics. I personally am not an expert at it, my father is however so I get lessons from PhD in music anytime.

If you know basics then I certainly do believe you can go off that and develop your own stuff. But if you can't get as far as learning the fretboard I don't see how you play other then "Oh, this note that I don't know sounds good after that note that I don't know".

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 pm

Zito is God wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I can read music and I understand basic theory but I never really felt it relevant to what Im doing.

However, I do wish I knew a little more because sometimes you jam with theory based people and need to know what they are talking about

Well, heres the thing: if you know the basics then you are fine to use that and develop on your own, but if you know absolutely no theory (How scales work, how chords are made, learning fretboard, intervals, etc) then I just have a question: How do you play?

I don't want to sound arrogant but seriously, lets say you knew nothing about guitar,. do you just sit down and pick at random notes and random chord shapes and say that you "play guitar"?

acs, by what you said I think you meant that I was reffering to more complicated theory (Harmonics, inversions, etc.) rather then the basics. I personally am not an expert at it, my father is however so I get lessons from PhD in music anytime.

If you know basics then I certainly do believe you can go off that and develop your own stuff. But if you can't get as far as learning the fretboard I don't see how you play other then "Oh, this note that I don't know sounds good after that note that I don't know".

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand where you are coming from and alot of it for me just has to do with the fact that I've been playing for 13 years and just understand what sounds right and wrong.

Now lets say I'm playing Voodoo child. Its in E major I think. Anyways I know the solos to that song now. I take Mr. Brownstone. Its a blues type song and its also in E I believe. Well basically my knowledge of both of those solos and what is gonna sound right or wrong makes it so that if I'm doing a blues jam in E i'm pretty accurate on what scales are gonna sound correct.

Also, I find that I can feel out songs pretty well due to the fact that I'm listening more then thinking. If I mess up I pretty much can bring it around to make it sound correct.

I think theory is great. I just don't enjoy learning it. I probably know alot more theory then I think I do but I just don't have a name for it.

I may know 10 different formations of A but I don't have names for them. However, I know how they go.

I can say to myself. Hmmm this jam has a hendrix/clapton feel. I'll throw those riffs into my jam but rearrange them.

Now i must admit its much harder to do this with a jazz jam. But I'm really not much into Jazz as It gives me a headache.

But I can play jazz more so by ear anyways.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:07 pm

i dont know anythin about this..

but two THOUGHTFULL posts from ACS?!? 8-o

what has this world come to... :-o

j/k man :-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:15 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:i dont know anythin about this..

but two THOUGHTFULL posts from ACS?!? 8-o

what has this world come to... :-o

j/k man :-D

hey you get back to your record breaking postings and leave me alone
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm

Oh yea

Igor Stravinsky on great artists.
"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal."
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Really? I actually think Jazz is the easiest to improv to as opposed to rock. I can throw jazz solos/improv together off of basic pentetonics and such without any effort but when it comes to rock I actually need to feel out the timing and the progression of the rhythm guitar and adjust my solo based on the progression they are running with.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:30 pm

Zito is God wrote:Really? I actually think Jazz is the easiest to improv to as opposed to rock. I can throw jazz solos/improv together off of basic pentetonics and such without any effort but when it comes to rock I actually need to feel out the timing and the progression of the rhythm guitar and adjust my solo based on the progression they are running with.

Well if someones like lets play jazz in a few different keys Im cool.

But if there are lots of time swings and key changes then i'm screwed.

See I can speed up/ slow down my solos with a rock jam much easier. Rock is more melodic to me therefore I can just kinda create something quick up in my head.

Jazz I'm like uh oh that didn't sound right, not that it really matters witha lot of jazz.

I'm just least experienced with jazz I'd say. The jazziest stuff I know are certain phish tunes.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk