Where to find Guitar Stuff? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Where to find Guitar Stuff?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where to find Guitar Stuff?

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok, so I don't wanna start a debate here or anything, but I personally am a big music theory believer. I believe if you don't know theory (meaning you technically do not know what you are playing) then you are like one of those parrots that repeats everything and you read a number off of a tab and repeat what it says to do. Real musicians in my opinion know how chords and scales are constructed, know what inversions are, how chord progressions are used, etc. If you play off a tab and know nothing at all about what you are playing then you just memmorize numbers, not much skill in that.

Anyway, why I typed all that out is because lately all sites offer are tabs, no one offers sheets music in standard notes, timings, etc. anymore. I was wondering if there is anything online that is free and has songs that are simply written the way music was meant to be, in sheet music form?

Thanks.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:28 pm

I've found some sheet music as .pdf's is limewire, but not on an actual site. I started off by mimicking tabs and solos and trying to copy other greats, but now I'm trying to get off into understanding more of why they play what where they did, etc...my teacher helps to push me in that direction and stuff.

Anyways, this isn't what you're looking for but this site ( http://chordbook.com/ ) has good backing tracks and stuff that I like to practice ad libbing and stuff over while learning scaled.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:42 pm

How do you make a guitar player stop playing?

:-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:46 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:How do you make a guitar player stop playing?

Start teaching him music theory?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:10 pm

Zito is God wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:How do you make a guitar player stop playing?

Start teaching him music theory?

Surely you've heard this before? "Put music in front of him." ;-)

Never took the time to learn theory, but I started late. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Wait so your saying you just wanna copy songs by looking at musical notation rather than tabs? IMO, that really doesn't help, its just stupid. But maybe i misunderstood your question.

Why not just put on a backing of a chord progression, and jam over it, i.e improvise. Find out how a major scale is formed, which is quite easy, and jam. That should be a good start.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Personally I don't like music theory.

Here are my reasons.

I've taken music classics. Theory of Music, Rythm etc...

Anyways I enjoy music because of the feeling that I am creating something original or coming up with something off the top of my head.

Another reason is that I hate math. To me Theory is all math. I hate it. Its interesting but I don't wanna be confined. I like being able to play something that sounds awesome because I think it sounds awesome not just cause the theory tells me to.

I really think theory has its place but for me it just doesn't. I like playing my own style in my own way and not worrying about if i'm playing a pentatonic scale or a mixalodian or whatever. If it sounds good it sounds good.

Personally I can play in order of skill; guitar, bass, drums and I don't know much theory.

If you like theory thats great some of the most boring people I've ever known love theory.

Its funny cause there are great people on both sides.

Hendrix didn't know theory but Tre does.

They are both amazing musicians.

To each their own I guess.

If I had to learn theory I wouldn't play the guitar anymore. The guitar is a release to me. Studying isnt'

However, I think that I can learn theory through playing a variety of music.

Learning the following songs gives you basically all you need to know about improvisation and everything all in one.

Castles made of Sand = Hendrix
You Enjoy Myself = Phish

Its crazy how it works. I don't like theory but I'm pretty sure that I can still hold my own on stage or in my own home.

Theory is to me more stagnat then improv. However, I do realize that you can improv with theory as well.

Anyways I agree with both forms but only one is really for me.

As for online notation I'm not sure. I mostly play by ear with a backing in tab to help me get started.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Well, usually people that never learned theory hate theory and vise-versa. Theory is very hard to learn, but if I never learned it I would feel really dumb just picking random notes that go together and random chord progressions without knowing basic structures of chord progressions. Also improving with pentatonics and other more complex scales makes it quite easy, improving off of "This note sounds good after this note so lets memmorize that" isn't. Anyway, back to the question Met Threat had:

Wait so your saying you just wanna copy songs by looking at musical notation rather than tabs? IMO, that really doesn't help, its just stupid. But maybe i misunderstood your question.

I really don't care about cpying songs, if it was about that in itself then tab is obviously much faster. Sheet music teaches you the way music was actually and how timing, structure, etc works instead of a tab that basically puts a number in front of you and tells you to repeat. I am looking for a site that lists sheet music for random songs.

BTW, just for the record, one of the top things that has annoyed me when talking to people that play guitar without knowing any theory is when they bring up Hendrix. I sya this about that: "hendrix didn't live by theory, but he knew the very core and basics of it, but when it comes down to you, YOU'RE NOT HENDRIX!" Hendrix is one in a century and people can't keep using him as an excuse to not learn theory. I however will budge that if you are playing guitar strictly on a "fun" basis then skip theory cause it really drains you.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:31 pm

I use a program called Guitar Pro 5. Basically its sheet music, but you can play it so its kind of instrumentals in the background, and its much easier to follow with timing and strum patterns etc. It also gives an option to not only show the tabbing but the musical notation. It also includes all your breaks and pauses and 4/4 garbage, its really useful.

Plus Hendrix isn't the only example. Take two guitarists in the same genre who have about the same reputation and skill level. Tre Anastatio and Warren Haynes. They got to the same point, they just took two different paths.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I can read music and I understand basic theory but I never really felt it relevant to what Im doing.

However, I do wish I knew a little more because sometimes you jam with theory based people and need to know what they are talking about
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk