Alfonso Soriano first 50-50 man? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alfonso Soriano first 50-50 man?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rainman23 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Great year for Soriano. He should be rewarded with a very high draft position next year. But I wouldn't consider taking him over Albert Pujols. You give me a 40-40 guarantee and I'd think hard about it. But as someone who lived with that "consistent" 2004 campaign, I know there are no guarantees with Alphonso. And, yeah, there ain't with nobody. But Pujols is as close to money in the bank as we're gonna find. Their potentials may be comparable, but in my book Pujols is a vastly better bet to deliver on that potential. It's a no-brainer for me.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:21 pm

rainman23 wrote:Great year for Soriano. He should be rewarded with a very high draft position next year. But I wouldn't consider taking him over Albert Pujols. You give me a 40-40 guarantee and I'd think hard about it. But as someone who lived with that "consistent" 2004 campaign, I know there are no guarantees with Alphonso. And, yeah, there ain't with nobody. But Pujols is as close to money in the bank as we're gonna find. Their potentials may be comparable, but in my book Pujols is a vastly better bet to deliver on that potential. It's a no-brainer for me.

I would have to agree that Pujols is money in the bank. However Soriano is a perfect number 2. I was thrilled to take him in the second round this year.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DeadWinterDay » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:17 am

18th pick, 1st round is when I drafted him. I jave no idea how but I knew he would dominate. Plus plugging up that 2B hole with an automatic top 2 player at a position with a steep drop off sealed the deal.

Going from AL to NL has a bigger positive impact than going from a hitters park to a pitchers park has a negative impact IMO.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Geek » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Geek wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Broncmet724 wrote:Even if he did go 50 50 this year I wouldn't make him the choice over Prince Albert. Since he would be the first to do it this yera, what are the chances he'd do it next year?

Exactly. There is a lot to be said for consistancy.

Did someone say 'consistency?'

2002: 39 HR, 41 SB
2003: 38 HR, 35 SB
2004: 28 HR, 18 SB
2005: 36 HR, 30 SB
2006: 41 HR, 32 SB (with over a month to go!)

It depends on your philosophy regarding the value of SB's in a 5X5 league. I agree that Pujols is a lot more valuable in a points league.
Great, so I can expect anywhere between 20-40 SB along with a BA between .270 and .300

No, you can reasonably expect 35+ HR's and 30+ SB's. He's failed to hit those numbers only once in the last five years.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kurtangletn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm

If not this year, he definatly has the potential to do it the next couple of years, depending on the team he goes to in the off season.

It's a shame he will lose 2B next year though.

Don't think unless it was later in the round pick, that I would want him as a 1st rounder, I got that feeling he will be a bit of a bust next year ( though just a gut feeling, don't flame me ;-) )
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:35 pm

My points league currently looks like this:

D. Ortiz

A. Pujols

T. Hafner

C. Beltrán

A. Soriano

K's hurt Sori
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:49 pm

I think you pretty much have to admit that if a team signs him to play 2B he is the clear cut #1 overall pick next year.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Zito is God wrote:I think you pretty much have to admit that if a team signs him to play 2B he is the clear cut #1 overall pick next year.

He would be the popular pick for #1, but I'd still opt for Pujols.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 pm

Zito is God wrote:I think you pretty much have to admit that if a team signs him to play 2B he is the clear cut #1 overall pick next year.

I'd take Pujols over him...I don't think he can put up 40/40 year-in and year-out and he has some downside to his average whether you think RFK will effect him or not. If a team signs him to play 2nd base I'd have to think very hard about where he fits into the first round picture though.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Pedantic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Clear cut #1 next year because of his insane numbers this year? That'll get you in trouble, if you ask me. I'm either stupid or dogged, but I will avoid Soriano within reason. I'm not supremely confident he'll match this year's numbers, nor am I confident that he'll outproduce the players he'd be taken over at #1.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers