Alfonso Soriano first 50-50 man? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alfonso Soriano first 50-50 man?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:18 pm

I will still take Pujols. In fact, I might even still take ARod at #2. Perhaps I'm just set in my ways, but I wouldn't consider Soriano until #3, and quite frankly I hope I don't have to be in the #3 spot with Pujols/ARod off the board - if Pujols/Soriano go 1-2, I'll gladly sign up for ARod at 3 - but I just don't want to have to have Soriano on my team with a top 3 pick.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:30 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I will still take Pujols. In fact, I might even still take ARod at #2. Perhaps I'm just set in my ways, but I wouldn't consider Soriano until #3, and quite frankly I hope I don't have to be in the #3 spot with Pujols/ARod off the board - if Pujols/Soriano go 1-2, I'll gladly sign up for ARod at 3 - but I just don't want to have to have Soriano on my team with a top 3 pick.

A-Rod has a lot to prove before he's considered a #2 overall pick. He's performing like a 4th round pick this year. Fine if he's on the upside of his career--but it's a red flag when he's on the downside.

I'd say:

1. Soriano
2. Pujols
3. Johann Santana
4. Beltran
5. Manny
6. Ortiz
7. Hafner (maybe higher depending on 1b eligibility)
8. Vlad
9. Howard
10. Reyes
11. Crawford
12. MigCab/A-Rod/Wright/go with your gut.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Alfonso Soriano first 50-50 man?

Postby Gold Rush » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:37 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:He snagged 2 SB's today to bring his total to 34 to go along with 41 homeruns..

Now with 36 games to go I believe he's a lock for 50 Homers and if he is even close to 50-50 Frank Robinson is gonna give him the green light to run whenever he's on base...

Fantasy impact of a 50-50 man?

I believe he will be the consensus #2 overall player in every draft to Pujols...Possibly the #1 player if he signs somewhere where he plays 2B.

Frank Robinson doesn't even need to give him the green light, he lets Soriano run whenever he pleases. (which will be anytime he is on 1st base or 2nd base with no one ahead of him) Although 50/50 is not out of the question, I see him ending up with maybe 50 HR's and 45 SB's.

But with his BB rate way up this year, you will see him on base a lot more, and like I said, he will run whenever he gets the chance. So if he does get 50 SB's, I see him getting 20-25 times getting caught
go 49ers!!!!!
Gold Rush
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:Even if he did go 50 50 this year I wouldn't make him the choice over Prince Albert. Since he would be the first to do it this yera, what are the chances he'd do it next year?

Exactly. There is a lot to be said for consistancy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:47 pm

pokerplaya wrote:And naturally I traded him for Abreu when I heard he got traded to RFK stadium. Wow, now that was a blunder. :-[

well you and rest of the fantasy community was predicting a down year for soriano. you wouldnt believe how many "experts" were telling everyone to STAY AWAY. i took him in the 2nd round only because he was the top player left based on my rankings. still, who would've thought, huh? what is funnier is i took beltran in 3rd round after that for the same reason and he was also a risky player to pick preseason. looks like my 2nd and 3rd round pick paid off bigtime. i think they've outplayed my 1st round pick of vladdy.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Broncmet724 wrote:Even if he did go 50 50 this year I wouldn't make him the choice over Prince Albert. Since he would be the first to do it this yera, what are the chances he'd do it next year?

Did someone say 'consistency?'

2002: 39 HR, 41 SB
2003: 38 HR, 35 SB
2004: 28 HR, 18 SB
2005: 36 HR, 30 SB
2006: 41 HR, 32 SB (with over a month to go!)

It depends on your philosophy regarding the value of SB's in a 5X5 league. I agree that Pujols is a lot more valuable in a points league.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:53 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:And naturally I traded him for Abreu when I heard he got traded to RFK stadium. Wow, now that was a blunder. :-[

well you and rest of the fantasy community was predicting a down year for soriano. you wouldnt believe how many "experts" were telling everyone to STAY AWAY. i took him in the 2nd round only because he was the top player left based on my rankings. still, who would've thought, huh? what is funnier is i took beltran in 3rd round after that for the same reason and he was also a risky player to pick preseason. looks like my 2nd and 3rd round pick paid off bigtime. i think they've outplayed my 1st round pick of vladdy.

Yeah, I got 'stuck' with Soriano in a bunch of leagues because it was the mid-2nd round and I just couldn't pass him up. ;-D
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Geek wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I will still take Pujols. In fact, I might even still take ARod at #2. Perhaps I'm just set in my ways, but I wouldn't consider Soriano until #3, and quite frankly I hope I don't have to be in the #3 spot with Pujols/ARod off the board - if Pujols/Soriano go 1-2, I'll gladly sign up for ARod at 3 - but I just don't want to have to have Soriano on my team with a top 3 pick.

A-Rod has a lot to prove before he's considered a #2 overall pick. He's performing like a 4th round pick this year. Fine if he's on the upside of his career--but it's a red flag when he's on the downside.

I'd say:

1. Soriano
2. Pujols
3. Johann Santana
4. Beltran
5. Manny
6. Ortiz
8. Vlad
9. Howard
10. Reyes
11. Crawford

I guess I just don't buy that he is on the "downside" of his career. In a keeper, perhaps the fact that he is 31 will bounce him out of the top 2, but in a redraft, I'll take ARod with the second pick and not think twice. It's not like he is 35, and ARod's down year is still a fantastic year for most of the league.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Geek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:15 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Geek wrote:

I'd say:

1. Soriano
2. Pujols
3. Johann Santana
4. Beltran
5. Manny
6. Ortiz
8. Vlad
9. Howard
10. Reyes
11. Crawford

I guess I just don't buy that he is on the "downside" of his career. In a keeper, perhaps the fact that he is 31 will bounce him out of the top 2, but in a redraft, I'll take ARod with the second pick and not think twice. It's not like he is 35, and ARod's down year is still a fantastic year for most of the league.

If this was the first down year he's had in the last ten, it would be one thing. But, he had a down year in 2004 as well--he didn't even crack the top 10 in AL MVP voting.

Pujols, Manny, Ortiz, and Santana are all much, much safer picks than A-Rod. He's much too risky to take at the #2 spot.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:34 pm

Geek wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Did someone say 'consistency?'

2002: 39 HR, 41 SB
2003: 38 HR, 35 SB
2004: 28 HR, 18 SB
2005: 36 HR, 30 SB
2006: 41 HR, 32 SB (with over a month to go!)

It depends on your philosophy regarding the value of SB's in a 5X5 league. I agree that Pujols is a lot more valuable in a points league.
Great, so I can expect anywhere between 20-40 SB along with a BA between .270 and .300
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers