better than the football forum! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

better than the football forum!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:48 am

Coppermine wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I'll just go ahead and make my typical generalization that Fantasy Football is considerably easier, for first-timers, novices and experts, than fantasy baseball. Football is very injury sensitive, but most people are drafting from a very similar order, and with less positions to consider. Plus, you only have to worry about your FF games on the weekends... we go out there every day, setting our starting pitchers, making decisions based on matchups and past statistics.

Anyone can play FF... but FB takes some real baseball knowledge and a keen eye on the sports sections to make sure you're up on day to day developments.

You've got big brass buttons, Copper. Why not start a thread and post this on the football side? :-b

Yeah, but I'm not trying to be a jerk here... I love fantasy football, but I hate that baseball is continually taking a backseat to football in America. I think it's too bad.

No ill will though, and knowing the cafe, no matter which side you're on, the vast majority of posters are quality guys. ;-D

And I can settle the debate with one word: MADISON.

That's 44669 post of pure, unadulterated fantasy baseball wisdom. It's too bad he's not a human....... but his wife is! :-D

I am SO skating on thin ice today.... !+)

I agree with that sentiment about fantasy football, but I get disenchanted with it for slightly different reasons. Not only is it a sprint compared to fantasy baseball, but football in my mind takes a backseat to European soccer (primarily England and Spain). The pooor folks here in L.A. don't have a football team to support and so, everywhere you look it's like looking at the colors of the rainbow: Cowboys fans here, Steelers fans there, Raiders fans (well, everywhere), occassionally a Charger fan here and there, and so on and so forth. I just don't like the professional football mish-mash around town, but then again, L.A. is infamous for being a transplants town. Back on topic, fantasy baseball does take more skill in that you have to be more intensive in your management day to day.

I believe the reason why the NFL is getting more separation from MLB in popularity is largely due to the league parity. We're a few weeks into the year and heck, the New Orleans Saints are a playoff contender. Who can't be excited over that?

FYI, Mad spends half of those posts on GT, with the lion's share of those posts discussing wrestling and with 99.99% of those posts marking out for the Undertaker...oh, and you forgot to count his posts as Hammy! :-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:10 am

Coppermine wrote:And I can settle the debate with one word: MADISON.

I've stayed pretty much away from the discussion, so don't bring me into it. :-b

Trying to compare the two sides is tough as the sports are totally different. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:55 am

You continually see the same faces around the FBC, which is why I post here alot more. I'm a big football fan, and love fantasy football, but I only have like 400 posts over there, because I only really get involved when I'm trying to figure out something I'm having alot of trouble with. Whereas here, I have about 6,600 more posts.

For me, it takes either a question about my football team, or a big event in the NFL for me to stop by the FFC and get involved in discussions. Whereas in the FBC, I can drop by anytime and get involved.

As to which one is more helpful, well, I don't know. In my experience they are about even. I do sense that the football community is, if not more rude, at least more prone to cracking jokes that a newcomer might not completely interpret the right way...and could turn them off.

Overall, the FBC is where I'm at, although I use the FFC whenever I'm in trouble as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:37 pm

You know what I've found? If I need some information regarding baseball, I come here. If I need some football information I go there. Yeah, it works well that way. If I needed some hockey or basketball advice, I'd probably find better info if I went to those Cafes. But I don't know, it may be just me. I'm just saying...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:You know what I've found? If I need some information regarding baseball, I come here. If I need some football information I go there. Yeah, it works well that way. If I needed some hockey or basketball advice, I'd probably find better info if I went to those Cafes. But I don't know, it may be just me. I'm just saying...

People go to the basketball and hockey cafe's???

:-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:You know what I've found? If I need some information regarding baseball, I come here. If I need some football information I go there. Yeah, it works well that way. If I needed some hockey or basketball advice, I'd probably find better info if I went to those Cafes. But I don't know, it may be just me. I'm just saying...

Wow, somebody mentioning something about the HOCKEY cafe? I didn't even know you knew what that sport was. :-b ;-D

It's starting to pick up a bit there. You guys should try out some fantasy hockey. ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:

Wow, somebody mentioning something about the HOCKEY cafe? I didn't even know you knew what that sport was. :-b ;-D

It's starting to pick up a bit there. You guys should try out some fantasy hockey. ;-D

I played fantasy hockey once with a bunch of hockey fans. I didn't know a single player, in fact, I don't think i could name all of the NHL teams... anyway, I won 2nd place :-D

But it was boring because I didn't know who anyone was, and I didn't watch the games on TV (not that the games are even on TV).
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:15 pm

Coppermine wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:

I played fantasy hockey once with a bunch of hockey fans. I didn't know a single player, in fact, I don't think i could name all of the NHL teams... anyway, I won 2nd place :-D

But it was boring because I didn't know who anyone was, and I didn't watch the games on TV (not that the games are even on TV).

EXACTLY. It's easy for you to get into it if you're in a country like ours. But if you actually start following the game and teams, I'm sure you would get pretty into it. DO IT! :-b :-D

2nd place and you didn't know anything? Did you pick up your friends from the zoo or something? J/k B-)
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:32 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:

I'm trying it for the first time this season, and I'm relying heavily on the FHC. :-°

I know nothing about hockey yet, so it should be fun. I am winning my first matchup so far 8-3 ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Half Massed wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:

I'm trying it for the first time this season, and I'm relying heavily on the FHC. :-°

I know nothing about hockey yet, so it should be fun. I am winning my first matchup so far 8-3 ;-D

We have some pretty good guys there. You should be able to do fine. People, learn a lesson from this great man. ;-D ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk