better than the football forum! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

better than the football forum!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: better than the football forum!

Postby Coppermine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:Basically we mostly aren't meatheads. except for coppermines mom

Say what you will about mother Cu, but do not start dropping meatheads!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:13 am

sportsguy138 wrote:do you think at the beginning of each of it's seasons which one has the higher amount of people hanging around in each cafe? FBC/FFC?

That's a good question. Both of the NFL and MLB opening days/weeks have a considerable amount of hype surrounding them, but I'll guess football considering it seems to be the most popular of the 2 sports when it's on, and it gets a lot of casual sports fans doing fantasy. I mean almost everybody I know has a NFL fantasy draft, and I live up in Aurora, Ontario, far away from any NFL teams. While in baseball's case, only a select few are interested.

Interestingly enough, now that I've checked, the FBC has the record for most users on at a time, so who knows.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:33 am

There is a lot of comraderie on the lightside, but also a lot of 'one-timers'. I find the darkside has more knowledgable members, overall, than the lightside. There are a ton of lightsiders that come and go and give advice that they seem to have pulled from another website or thread. There are quite a few guys here on the darkside that do some quality research and know what it is they're talking about. Have to say, though, there are a few members here that are pretty sensitive. Get their feelings hurt too easily. Don't see that on the lightside.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:09 am

:-?

I don't know, I like the football side more, but that's because I feel my knowledge is a little more comfortable with ffootball because I've been playing it longer. I don't ask for advice on the light side a lot but I do on this side. I mostly adhere to the graphics forum too. Though it seems that the light side has gotten real young over the offseason which kind of is :-/ A lot of the old regulars that used to chillax have done on to greener pastuers.

But also to tell you the truth, I don't think I've seen you around the football forum either, but it's so wierd switching forums with different avy/sigs all the time too.

And weir, you know that that was from the glitch that one night. The records in each forum went crazy, you think there were that many people on at 3 am?

Edit: I also just noticed that you only joined in Feb, so you haven't been through even one football season and you only have 100 posts over there. I don't know how "active" you are over there but to call people over there rude is kind of out of line I would think.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:37 am

WickedSmaat wrote:I don't know, I like the football side more, but that's because I feel my knowledge is a little more comfortable with ffootball because I've been playing it longer. I don't ask for advice on the light side a lot but I do on this side. I mostly adhere to the graphics forum too.

That's me too. My knowledge of FB is limited, especially without the assistance of the Cafe. I have no friends (outside the Cafe ;-) ) that play FB, but I think everyone and their mothers play FF. I rely on the Cafe much more for my FB advice than I do for FF advice. Probably why I have more posts on the darkside than lightside.

WickedSmaat wrote:But also to tell you the truth, I don't think I've seen you around the football forum either, but it's so wierd switching forums with different avy/sigs all the time too.

I was wondering this too. I've never seen him....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 am

“Rude” and “Polite” are matters of opinion and interpretation. Brutally Huge was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I thought that was really indicative. BH has a very odd sense of humor – very sarcastic, sometimes caustic. He’s really pretty cool once you get past that, but he (apparently) doesn’t see any reason to modify his approach to posting to get around the frequent misinterpretations of his posts. It takes a while to understand that.

I also completely agree with the “newbie” thought process. I think there are so many new guys who come to the Light Side each season, and many of them have cut their teeth in other, less friendly forums. With that background they come here and start mixing it up, and that’s really not the character of any of the Cafes.

I spend way more time on the football side, but I’ve been here enough to make this observation – there are great guys on each Side, and there are some not-so-great guys on each Side. Typically the guys who stick around (and have higher post counts as a result) are good guys, knowledgeable and willing to help in a friendly manner. There are also a number of crossover guys like Omaha and Wicked (and Chad, Teddy and others) who really make both Sides cool.

Just ignore the guys with sharp tongues* and pay more attention to the “good” guys. The “jerks” will eventually find their way to the door.

* – I know that’s easier said than done.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:12 pm

I'll just go ahead and make my typical generalization that Fantasy Football is considerably easier, for first-timers, novices and experts, than fantasy baseball. Football is very injury sensitive, but most people are drafting from a very similar order, and with less positions to consider. Plus, you only have to worry about your FF games on the weekends... we go out there every day, setting our starting pitchers, making decisions based on matchups and past statistics.

Anyone can play FF... but FB takes some real baseball knowledge and a keen eye on the sports sections to make sure you're up on day to day developments.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:19 pm

Coppermine wrote:I'll just go ahead and make my typical generalization that Fantasy Football is considerably easier, for first-timers, novices and experts, than fantasy baseball. Football is very injury sensitive, but most people are drafting from a very similar order, and with less positions to consider. Plus, you only have to worry about your FF games on the weekends... we go out there every day, setting our starting pitchers, making decisions based on matchups and past statistics.

Anyone can play FF... but FB takes some real baseball knowledge and a keen eye on the sports sections to make sure you're up on day to day developments.

You've got big brass buttons, Copper. Why not start a thread and post this on the football side? :-b
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:24 pm

All the Cafes have their good guys and jerks, but I think on the FBC there are more veterans that stay around a lot and quiet the jerks.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Coppermine » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:27 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I'll just go ahead and make my typical generalization that Fantasy Football is considerably easier, for first-timers, novices and experts, than fantasy baseball. Football is very injury sensitive, but most people are drafting from a very similar order, and with less positions to consider. Plus, you only have to worry about your FF games on the weekends... we go out there every day, setting our starting pitchers, making decisions based on matchups and past statistics.

You've got big brass buttons, Copper. Why not start a thread and post this on the football side? :-b

Yeah, but I'm not trying to be a jerk here... I love fantasy football, but I hate that baseball is continually taking a backseat to football in America. I think it's too bad.

No ill will though, and knowing the cafe, no matter which side you're on, the vast majority of posters are quality guys. ;-D

And I can settle the debate with one word: MADISON.

That's 44669 post of pure, unadulterated fantasy baseball wisdom. It's too bad he's not a human....... but his wife is! :-D

I am SO skating on thin ice today.... !+)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk