UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 am

Inukchuk wrote:%-6

AquaMan2342 wrote:Yay Silva. ;-D

I think that even if you like Silva, you had to be unimpressed with that fight. Sonnen had a great game plan and executed it for 23 minutes. At least now there's no doubt who the best pound for pound fighter is.

Also, I really liked the Fitch fight. You know that if the crowd's booing, then he's winning...

Lastly, that Big Country sure can take a punch...

Unimpressed with the fight? Maybe. But I think if you like Silva, you have to be impressed with the victory. It's victories like that one that define champions. He was completely and utterly dominated the entire fight, Sonnen just pushed Silva around, took him down when he wanted, and smothered him the entire fight. On the ground he constantly berated him, trying to pound a hole through his face. Still, Silva found a way to win. I'm not a Silva fan at all, I can't stand the guy, but he earned a little more respect for that victory.

I only got to see a portion of Big Country's fight...yeah he took some massive blows. !+)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Metroid wrote:Unimpressed with the fight? Maybe. But I think if you like Silva, you have to be impressed with the victory...

Yeah, this sums it up well. It was just a little disappointing to see how hard Sonnen worked and how perfectly he executed his gameplan just to see it all go to waste with 90 seconds left in the fight. Obviously, Silva is an amazing fighter, but I walked away with a bit of a 'fluke win' taste in my mouth (which admittedly could just be sour grapes... :-b )
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Metroid wrote:Unimpressed with the fight? Maybe. But I think if you like Silva, you have to be impressed with the victory...

Yeah, this sums it up well. It was just a little disappointing to see how hard Sonnen worked and how perfectly he executed his gameplan just to see it all go to waste with 90 seconds left in the fight. Obviously, Silva is an amazing fighter, but I walked away with a bit of a 'fluke win' taste in my mouth (which admittedly could just be sour grapes... :-b )

Oh totally. I was rooting for Sonnen the whole way. I new during the entire fight that Silva was just one move away from a victory. However, I let myself get caught up in the asswhooping he was taking and even said to myself after Sonnen's last take down in the 5th, "That's it! Sonnen has this, all he has to do is not slip up." Oops. :-[

How extra sweet it would have been for me to see Silva get beat by and Oregon boy, an Oregon Duck no less. :,-(
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:50 pm

The word "fluke" being applied to Silva is undoubtedly sour grapes. He's the best MMA fighter in the world. Sonnen had the perfect plan and pretty much perfect execution of it and he still couldn't beat him. I believe that says more about how great Silva is than anything.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:The word "fluke" being applied to Silva is undoubtedly sour grapes. He's the best MMA fighter in the world. Sonnen had the perfect plan and pretty much perfect execution of it and he still couldn't beat him. I believe that says more about how great Silva is than anything.

Yeah Silva is still the best in the business, there's no doubt about that. "Fluke win" isn't the right term, "Lucky win" might be a little better, and even that doesn't really seem appropriate when describing Silva. He did get a little luck thrown his way by Sonnen though.

Anyway, I just can't see how anyone can actually like the guy. He's such a cocky, arrogant, douchebag...he's so unlikable, I just don't get it. There's nothing wrong with confidence, and every fighter has to be a little cocky, be he goes way beyond that. He may have won last night but he was humbled big time, his hat size definitely got a few inches smaller. He is not invincible, Sonnen laid out a perfect schematic of what you have to do to beat Silva....well a perfect schematic for four and three quarters rounds anyway. !+)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:41 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:The word "fluke" being applied to Silva is undoubtedly sour grapes.

Oh yeah, most likely... I felt the same way after the Carwin-Lesnar mess. :-b

He's the best MMA fighter in the world.

Now this, I'm not so sure about anymore. He looked awfully old yesterday. At this point, I'd go with GSP. Again, that could just be sour grapes, though... O:-)
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Inuk beat me to it. I was going to say that Silva is 35 and not known for his great conditioning. Matt Hughes and Couture stayed elite into their late 30s due to their phenomenal conditioning. Unless he becomes a gym rat I think that we are seeing the begining of the end for the Spider.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I think that we are seeing the begining of the end for the Spider.

Unless Silva moves up to 205 I don't see it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

If anyone knows where I can watch a replay of the Jones fight I'd be much obliged for a PM. I was camping and planned on watching it online but I couldn't get the stream to work. Didn't set the DVR cause I thought I'd be able to watch it. :,-(
Can't find it on UFC.com and ninja video has been taken over by government ninjas.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Sonnen almost pulled it off, but he couldn't put the champ away, that's why one if the P4P king and the other just an also ran. Now having said that i respect Sonnen for walking the walk, but the fact that he tried to weasel his way out of tapping showed me he has no honor. This isn't the first time he does that, he did it in the Filho and Horn fight. I guess its a whole Quest thing, cause his team mate, Lindland does the same thing.

Fitch won the only way he knows how, by putting everyone to sleep. Too bad Alves was too tired from cutting weight to make it interesting, but that's his fault. Fitch's shot at the belt are in the hands of Shields now, if Jake wins, he's next, but if Kampmann wins, we'll see Fitch vs GSP/Kos winner.

JDS is a beats, he showed everyone he has great TDD and his striking is the best in the HW division. I can't wait to see him fight vs Lesnar/Cain winner. Neslon on the other hand, prove to be a tough competitor, but not good enough, but if you weren't a fan of his before, how can you not be his fan now?
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk