UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Another thing, change of topic...

I was able to watch the PRIDE PPV last night. Now I'm all caught up. That Sokojdou guy from Africa that knocked out Lil Nog, knocked out Arona. I think we might have a new stud on our hands. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Amazinz wrote:I never thought Serra was a lesser fighter at all, certainly not because of the Shonie fight. I think it was more the back-to-back losses to BJ Penn and Din Thomas that stamped my impression of him. I do think that Serra is more of a gatekeeper level talent though. His victory over GSP hasn't changed my opinion. If he beats Hughes than obviously I'll have to wake up and realize he's reinvented himself.

Serra has a 9-4 pro record.
Hughes has a 41-5 pro record.

Serra certainly earned the right to be talked about in that regard but it still has to be kept in perspective.

Eh, Serra's got twice the skill, heart and a million times the respectability of Hughes (who fought many a cream puff in those 41 wins). Hughes won because he was stronger and good at only one thing. I really don't respect him like I do a BJ Penn or Gracie.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Well Hughes is a mod edit so I don't give him all of his due.

I appreciate your comments but you should watch your language around here. This isn't Sherdog, that language is unacceptable here.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:21 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I never thought Serra was a lesser fighter at all, certainly not because of the Shonie fight. I think it was more the back-to-back losses to BJ Penn and Din Thomas that stamped my impression of him. I do think that Serra is more of a gatekeeper level talent though. His victory over GSP hasn't changed my opinion. If he beats Hughes than obviously I'll have to wake up and realize he's reinvented himself.

Serra certainly earned the right to be talked about in that regard but it still has to be kept in perspective.

Eh, Serra's got twice the skill, heart and a million times the respectability of Hughes (who fought many a cream puff in those 41 wins). Hughes won because he was stronger and good at only one thing. I really don't respect him like I do a BJ Penn or Gracie.

I respect Penn but didn't Hughes break BJ's ribs in their last match?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

I respect Penn but didn't Hughes break BJ's ribs in their last match?

Penn wasn't in shape. Wasn't he called in late over GSP due to injury? I've seen Penn fight, when he's prepared and motivated he is basically impossible to defeat.

Kimo broke Royce Gracie's hand, arm, body and will too. Of course he won, but I don't think Penn is on his level either.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:27 pm

Hehe. Different era. Not to knock Royce Gracie, he will always be the "man", but it was a much different game back then. Gracie got decimated by the only two true MMA athletes he ever fought (Hughes & Sakuraba). I'm not sure how new you are to the sport so this may sound crazy but BJ Penn's BJJ is much better than Gracie. His total game is another level. Penn is not just in MMA. He was BJJ World Champion at an extremely young age. They don't call him the Prodigy for nothing. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:Hehe. Different era. Not to knock Royce Gracie, he will always be the "man", but it was a much different game back then. Gracie got decimated by the only two true MMA athletes he ever fought (Hughes & Sakuraba). I'm not sure how new you are to the sport so this may sound crazy but BJ Penn's BJJ is much better than Gracie. His total game is another level. Penn is not just in MMA. He was BJJ World Champion at an extremely young age. They don't call him the Prodigy for nothing. :-D

They got to where they are because of Royce in a big way. Had he been in another era and not an old man when Hughes smashed him, he's still be the man.

Don't we value baseball players relative to their peers? Let's have some equality here ;-)
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Fedor vs. Lindland tonight. :)

Edit: Well that was anticlimactic. Fedor won. That will be a controversial one for awhile I think due to Fedor grabbing the ropes.

Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:47 am

It was exciting while it lasted. It would have been nice to see it go longer, but what would you expect out of his first fight in his homeland. I'd like to see them fight again.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:08 am

CroCop is going down! !+)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk