UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Looks like the Affliction card has been canceled. :,-(

Link
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wright2Reyes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I forgot there was more than baseball here at the cafe, but here are my UFC 101 predictions.

MAIN CARD

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian (for UFC lightweight title)
Champ Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (non-title fight)
Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah
Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove
Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

PRELIMINARY CARD

Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley
John Howard vs. Tamdan McCrory
Thales Leites vs. Alessio Sakara
Dan Cramer vs. Matthew Riddle
George Roop vs. George Sotiropoulos
Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort

I'm taking BJ, anything Ken-Flo can do, BJ can do better, unless he can pull a Guida and just LnP his way to a decision, he will be outclassed. Florian will regret the day he said he would "kill the master"

Griffin as tough as he is, he doesn't have the skill to beat AS. He will bring the fight to AS and that will be his downfall as AS will just pick him apart. I'm thinking the same way that Machida finish Thiago. Forest will pursue, but in the end will get own. I doubt this fight gets pass the 2nd round.

btw, how scary is it that AS cuts down to 185? no wonder the guy is basically undefeated.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Watching UFC 101 online with justin.tv, no cost to me, FTW!

Silva might have some trouble with Griffin, I haven't seen them standing side-by-side yet but damn, it just seems to me that there is a huge size diff there. I can't bring myslef to say AS will those this fight but I really want to.

Penn is too much man for ken-flo. I'd bet lots of money on that, much more than I would on the AS fight.

I can't wait for this thing to start!
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 am

What happened to Griffin? I'm glad Spider won but that was weird.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 am

bigken117 wrote:What happened to Griffin? I'm glad Spider won but that was weird.

Ninjas do exist. That was a ninja punch, pretty sure that's the technical term for it.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:19 am

Opie got it right, AS has a way of making good fighters really bad. Forrest didn't belong in the same cage as AS. Forrest did exactly what I thought he would do, try to bring the fight to AS and as he found out, its not a smart thing to do. he simply got owned. As I was watching the fight I thgouth that Forrest would actuall

I loved the face AS made when he was introduced, it was like "really you're booing me?" But he knew he was about to put on a show.

Florian wrote a check his *** couldn't cash. He neither kill the master nor finish the fight, instead he had a dumb strategy of trying to tire BJ and take him down. By the 3rd round he should have said screw that, start to box and score points. Florian spent so much energy trying to get BJ down that by the 4th BJ took him down with ease and beautifully sinked the RNC. I was really impressed with BJ, he showed that while he may not be able to beat GSP at 170, he still dominates the 155 division.

Amir got robbed, the stoppage was horrible, the ref had a bad angle and while he saw Hendricks throw punches he never landed any them.

Sotiropoulos showed he will be a contender soon enough, he has a great ground game and his stand up looked sharp.

Didn't see the Riddle fight, but i'm glad he won.

PS: I can't believe Torres lost like that, I think he got too cocky and Bowles took advantage of that. Just wow.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 am

Wright2Reyes wrote:...instead he had a dumb strategy of trying to tire BJ and take him down.

That same dumb strategy worked awfully nicely for Hughes when he fought BJ... :-?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Wright2Reyes wrote:...instead he had a dumb strategy of trying to tire BJ and take him down.

That same dumb strategy worked awfully nicely for Hughes when he fought BJ... :-?

I'm pretty sure Penn was in the best shape of his career and that this had become common knowledge because of all the videos floating around the net.......I might be wrong though. I thought it was a poor strategy on Florian's part also.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

Yes it was, but is Florian on the same level as Hughes or for that matter, GSP? Not even close. Coming into the fight you could count on 2 things, 1. BJ had a shaky cardio(but from the looks of it, not anymore) and 2. he has the best takedown defense out there. So while his strategy was good in theory, he didn't have the tools to executed. All that effort actually worked to BJ's advantage as he was able to take down Kenny and choke him out.

Florian like Sherk refuse to improvise once their strategy failed and BJ was there to capitalize on both occasions.

Nice try though :-t
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:46 am

Wright2Reyes wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

Yes it was, but is Florian on the same level as Hughes or for that matter, GSP? Not even close. Coming into the fight you could count on 2 things, 1. BJ had a shaky cardio(but from the looks of it, not anymore) and 2. he has the best takedown defense out there. So while his strategy was good in theory, he didn't have the tools to executed. All that effort actually worked to BJ's advantage as he was able to take down Kenny and choke him out.

Florian like Sherk refuse to improvise once their strategy failed and BJ was there to capitalize on both occasions.

Nice try though :-t

Sarcastic comment and a thumbs down? I guess you told me... :-b

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm fairly new to the sport, but I was under the impression (as Aqua said) that BJ has had trouble with his conditioning in the past. Granted (as Aqua also said), he seemed to be in very good shape for Saturday's match, so I'm sure he probably knew that Kenny knew and took steps to prevent that.

Would Florian have been better served to keep the fight standing up? I was under the impression that BJ was also the better striker. My thinking was that Florian's only real option was to try to exploit the only real weakness that BJ has displayed: his conditioning. I also figured that if the fight did go to the ground, Kenny could use his elbows more effectively.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk