UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Wright2Reyes » Thu May 28, 2009 11:30 am

UFC NEWS: Report pegs Rampage and Rashad as opposing coaches on TUF 10

In an interesting twist for the next season of the Ultimate Fighter, which begins filming in the coming weeks, a report from the U.K. based Fighter's Only says that the coaches for this season will be Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and the now former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, and winner of the show's second season, Rashad Evans.

Pitting Evans as the opposing coach makes this very interesting, as many believed Lyoto Machida would be pegged as a coach opposite Rampage, who was already expected to be one of the two. The twist here is thay Machida's official website states that he'll be defending his Title against Rampage in September, which means ultimately it could still be the two coaches of this next season facing off for the Title in December. Either that, or if Rampage falls short in September, he and Evans could face off to determine who would get a second shot at "The Dragon."

The report cites a source close to Evans as confirming his involvement as a coach, and Rampage himself let it be known he was on his way to Vegas to start filming on his Twitter account. With the verbal back and forth these two had at UFC 96, this will surely be an interesting season to watch.

I think this might work better, the UFC won't put the title on hold for long and it's going to be interesting to see how Greg Jackson's team does on the show.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wright2Reyes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:22 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

LAS VEGAS – Kimbo Slice, the controversial heavyweight who in 2008 headlined the most-viewed mixed martial arts card in history, will be one of 16 contestants on the forthcoming season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s reality TV series.

Dana White, the UFC’s outspoken president, has repeatedly mocked Slice for his lack of fighting ability. Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, became a cult figure by competing in street fights that were posted on YouTube. Slice’s “bouts” drew tens of millions of views and led him to turn professional.

He fought for the now defunct Elite XC, garnering massive media attention but getting mocked by White and others affiliated with the UFC for a lack of ability.

White has called him a “joke,” a “bum” and “not a real fighter,” among other less than kind descriptions. He said that Slice would “get murdered if he fought in the UFC” and suggested that his lightweight champion, 155-pound B.J. Penn, would “annihilate” the 230-pound Slice.

The UFC president has repeatedly insisted he would not allow Slice to compete in the UFC unless he won his way onto the show by competing on “The Ultimate Fighter.”

Slice has called White’s bluff and will appear on Season 10 of the highly rated Spike TV series, White has confirmed. Fighters live in the same house and train together, and then fight during the show in a bid to earn a UFC contract.

His appearance, along with that of former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, should guarantee massive ratings.

“It should be interesting, given some of the things I’ve said about him,” White said.

Slice, who has a 3-1 professional record, appeared in the main event of the first MMA card shown on network television in the U.S. when he fought James Thompson on May 31, 2008, on CBS.

Slice won by third-round stoppage in a bout that attracted a record 6.5 million viewers and remains the most-viewed MMA bout in history.

But Slice hasn’t fought since Oct. 4, when he was knocked out by a jab from late replacement Seth Petruzelli, a light heavyweight, just 14 seconds into another fight broadcast on CBS. The plug was pulled on Elite XC, which reportedly lost millions of dollars, in the aftermath of the fight.

White promised “some major surprises” as he announced on a Thursday conference call that Jackson and Evans, each of whom is a former light heavyweight champion, would serve as coaches on Season 10.

He declined to say anything further but urged reporters on the call not to miss media day, which is Tuesday at the UFC Training Center in Las Vegas.

White worked hard to keep Slice’s appearance on the show a secret, hoping to have unveiled him Tuesday. Season 10, which is being called “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights,” was originally slated to feature a cast of eight heavyweights and eight middleweights, but the UFC quietly informed the middleweights who tried out that it was going with an all-heavyweight show.

And unlike in recent seasons, where the competitors had to win a fight to earn their way into the house, there will be no such arrangement this time. All 16 fighters – Spike and the UFC are keeping names of the others a closely guarded secret – will automatically move into the house.

Though White goes to great lengths to insist that nothing on the show is scripted, it’s virtually guaranteed that Slice won’t fight early in the competition. Having him around and alive in the competition is going to keep ratings elevated.

If Slice is able to advance to the live Dec. 5 finale, with a chance to earn a UFC contract with a win, ratings would likely be the largest in Spike history.

Good for Kimbo, I guess he really wants to be an MMA. I wonder if he will go number one though...
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Any of you guys see Andrei Arlovski get knocked the bleep out 20 seconds into his fight with virtual unknown Brett Rodgers? 8-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9d1KfX3nIs
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby everett1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:20 pm

is it me or was andrei crying after he got KTFO? i felt really bad for him, he just looked good in hte first few minutes vs the best ifhgter in the world and got KTFO when he gets overzelous then get KTFO by a guy who was working at sams club not too long ago.

Arlovskis chin was never the same after this classic bout

http://www.mmaroot.com/andrei-arlovski- ... m-1-video/
everett1987
College Coach
College Coach

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 pm

everett1987 wrote:is it me or was andrei crying after he got KTFO? i felt really bad for him, he just looked good in hte first few minutes vs the best ifhgter in the world and got KTFO when he gets overzelous then get KTFO by a guy who was working at sams club not too long ago.

Arlovskis chin was never the same after this classic bout

http://www.mmaroot.com/andrei-arlovski- ... m-1-video/

Thanks for the link! That fight was redonculous. 8-o
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:33 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Hey Tim, Hows taste my pee pee? :-b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUwVMWbOwM&feature=fvw

What a kook. I don't think the interviewer even comprehended what he said. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:52 pm

How bad of a beat down is Urijah Faber going to lay on Mike Brown tonight?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby everett1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 pm

none :/ faber broke his hand(s) brown just decisioned him
everett1987
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:25 am

everett1987 wrote:none :/ faber broke his hand(s) brown just decisioned him

Yeah, that was unfortunate. Mike Brown fought well, though, much better than I expected from him busted hand or otherwise from Faber. I'd love for these two to meet for a third time. That was a fun fight to watch despite Urijah having next to no use of his right hand from mid-Round 2 on.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk