UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Wright2Reyes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Wright2Reyes wrote:Condit vs Kampmann was entertaining, i thought Condit won though.

Was that b/c Kampmann was cut up or b/c of the failed submissions?
I agree that it was very close and I thought that they were going to give it to Condit b/c the UFC and the announcers were just building him up so much. Condit got the better of the striking but Kampmann dominated on the ground - I just don't understand why he kept gassing himself on those guillotines. Condit was not as superior in the striking as the announcers were making him out to be. Kampmann is a very good striker. Like I said it was very close and I'm surprised and pleased that Kampmann won b/c I think that he deserved it.

A combination of both. All Kampmann did was go for the guillotine, Condit would get the takedown and Kampmann would automatically go for it, I think that's what got him the victory. It was a close fight so i could see why you thought Kampmann won.

In other news its not looking good for Bader

For his first win in the UFC following his triumphant run on the eighth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," Ryan Bader may have fought through a painful injury to get that win as the former Arizona State wrestler appears to have torn both his ACL and MCL in the first round of his fight against Carmelo Marrero.

The news comes from Bader who spoke exclusively with MMAWeekly.com after the fight, and later updated by his coach Trevor Lally after speaking to doctors who examined the fighter following the bout.

"The doctor said I blew my MCL out and maybe the ACL. Hopefully not. It was in the first (round)," Bader said. "One of the first takedowns, I was passing from half-guard trying to pass to side control and I just heard my knee pop, which isn't a big deal because they pop every once in a while.

"I stood back up and I felt that it was really, really loose. It didn't really do too much as far as impeding me in the fight or anything like that, but it was starting to swell up a little bit. Hopefully the ACL is fine. I don't really want to deal with that."

While Bader won't have definitive results until he heads back home to Arizona, doctors on site believe that he did actually tear both the ACL and MCL, which could require surgery and extensive rehab.

Regardless of the injury, Bader battled through to pick up the unanimous decision win, but he still believes that he could have done more to pick up the pace in the fight.

"I didn't feel like I fought to my potential. I felt tired out there a little bit, maybe some nerves of being in my first big UFC fight besides The Ultimate Fighter house and that kind of thing," Bader commented.

"From the arm bar, I felt like I didn't transition well. I could have went for a triangle here or there. I felt like I was a little sloppy on my stand up. We tightened a lot of things up and I just felt like I could have been more technical and transitioned a little better. But a win's a win. I've just got to look forward to my next fight and get better from there."

The fans in attendance in Nashville were vocal towards Bader and Marrero when the action slowed on the ground, but the former "Ultimate Fighter" winner takes the criticism in stride as well.

"It did upset me. Obviously you don't like to be booed. I was kind of disappointed in myself a little bit from that kind of aspect. But what can you do?" Bader said. "I was out there giving it my all at that time, so I couldn't really do anything else about it."

Bader will head back home with his teammates from Arizona Combat Sports and have his knee checked out again at that time.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Yea I posted before I knew about the injury. That definitely changes my perspective on that fight.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Colour me skeptical. How can you fight for a further 10 mins after tearing your mcl and acl? Those are devastating injuries that I don't think that you can plow through on adrenhaline. Maybe he just strained them and this article is being sensationalist.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I wasn't crazy about the TUF opener. None of those guys looked good and I couldn't understand a thing that they said.

I didn't watch Fight Night last night, but I did DVR TUF. I usually don't follow TUF all that much, but I decided to make an effort and watch this season. And yeah, I also thought most of the guys didn't look all that impressive, except for maybe a couple of fighters. Most of them did suffer from Terry Etim syndrome though.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I was just watching BJ Penn/Joe Stevenson on UFC Unleashed on Spike....man I forgot how bloody that fight was. 8-o
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Yeah Joe-Daddy has been involved in two of the UFC's bloodiest fights. He was doling out the punishment in the Yves Edwards fight.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:19 am

Overall that was a really good Strikeforce card. Definitely worth checking out if you didn't watch or at least watch the Shamrock vs. Diaz fight, which is probably all over the Internet by now.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 am

Amazinz wrote:Overall that was a really good Strikeforce card. Definitely worth checking out if you didn't watch or at least watch the Shamrock vs. Diaz fight, which is probably all over the Internet by now.

I watched Strikeforce. It was pretty entertaining. I'd let Gina Carano kick my ass any day. :-L
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wright2Reyes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Yeah, not a bad card at all. Nick just rook it to Frank, after that ass beating I jsut don't understand why Frank would continue fighting. It comes a point in your life when you have to say enough is enough, and as hard it is for Frank to admit it, I think its time to say enough...
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wright2Reyes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:57 pm

UFC 97 is hours away, my predictions

Main Card

A. Silva vs Thales Leites:

Anyone can be beat at any time, just ask Serra and his win over GSP, but with that out of the way, Leites just doesn't stand a chance. I think Dana said it best, Silva is pissed, he is pissed that he appeared human in his last fight against Cotte and like I said after that fight, I wouldn't want to be the next one to fight AS after that average performance. I expect AS to make an example out of Leites by beating him by submission. Everyone thinks he will get the KO, but something tells me that Silva will try to put to rest all that talk about his ground game being his weakness and what better way than to beat an elite BJJ fighter at his own game.

Chuck Liddell vs Mauricio Rua

Is Liddell done? that's the million dollar question and frankly I don't know. His last fight he got caught, plain and simple, but was that because age is cathing up to him or one of those times where you tipped your hat off and say you got me? Unfortunately for Liddell, his last few fights say is the former. As for Rua, everything depends on his conditioning, we all know about his talent, but if he can't get pass the first round no talent in the world will let him keep his hands up. I want to say Liddell will win via KO in the 2nd, but I think we have seen the beginning of the end for him. I usually hate being wrong, but in this case i wouldn't mind so much

Cheick Kongo vs Antoni Hardonk

Very close fight to call as both have similar strengths and weaknesses, it should be good striking match, but I give the edge to Kongo. He showed in his last fight that he can use his strength to keep his opponent down and use GnP and that will be the difference.

Luiz Cane vs Steve Cantwell

I like Cane in this one. I think he will use his superior striking and after a few exchanges be too much for Cantwell to handle. A knockout is likely to happen.

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann

Don't know why Krysztof is fighting on a main card, as I don't think he is that good, so I guess i'll be rooting for Stann?

Under Card

Ed Herman
Jason MacDonald
Vinicius Magalhaes
Mark Bocek
Denis Kang
Matt Wiman
Ryo Chonan
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor