UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 am

Great win by Machida too. Silva got a big mouth just like Mr. Penn.

And Kim got robbed, in a fight that certainly is among one of the most exciting bouts in UFC history. !+)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:13 am

Not even close. I'm not looking forward to the Thiago fight but how exciting is GSP and Anderson Silva going to be? Dana White will be hyping this potential matchup for the next year and we'll all be sick of the P4P Best cliche but it's going to be amazing.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby Wright2Reyes » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:49 pm

GSP/BJ: I knew GSP would overpower him, but I didn’t think BJ would get dominated the way he did. All 4 rounds were for GSP, his wrestling was the difference. I thought the fight should have been stop in the 4th, but Dean seem to be hesitant to make the call, he asking Penn to defend himself, if that was any other fighter, Herb stops the fight. Next in line is Alves and that’s a fight that should be a better match up for GSP. They look like they have the same frame and I doubt GSP will be able to dominate him on the ground the way he did against Penn. I still don’t understand why the crow booed Alves, I guess they were too drunk to realize he is the number one contender.

Machida/Silva: Thiago was way too cocky coming into the fight(13-0 will do that to you I guess) his strategy played right into Machida’s hands. I think the best way to beat Machida will be to stay in the center of the octagon and have Machida come to you lol, if you pursue him, he will just pick you apart. Any doubt anyone had about Machida and his “elusive” way can STFU know. He showed he is the number one contender with that awesome KO, it was perfectly timed and precise. Now a part of me wants Rampage to lose to Jardine, Machida deserves that title shot now!

Guida/Diaz: I wasn’t impressed with Guida, I though Diaz did more in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (takedowns, out boxed him, went for submissions) All Guida did was grab him and neutralize him, especially in the 3rd, is not like he was looking to pass, just held him and nothing else. The first round was a tie. With exactly 2:30 seconds remaining in the first, Guida took ground control, but the first half of the first round was to Diaz. In any case, anyone who hates on Diaz for his behavior can also STFU, I think the way you handle yourself after a loss shows more about your character than after a win and Nate showed nothing but class, he shook hands with Guida and congratulate him.

Bonnar/Jones: Bonnar got owned plain and simple. Jones was quicker and stronger. That spinning elbow was a thing of beauty, he kind of reminded me of Faber, just coming from different angles. He also needs to work on his cardio, he is only 21 so he can only improve and that’s the scary part.

Karo/Kim: Another fight I thought the judges got it wrong. All Karo had was that one Judo throw in the 2nd. Kim impressed me, he needs to work on his cardio more and he is going to be a contender soon.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Congrats to GSP. That was amazing. There was absolutely no reason for a referee stoppage IMO. It's not as if the ref can be inside BJs head and BJ was still able to defend himself by maneuvering. I definitely think throwing in the towel tarnishes BJs legacy. I know many people will disagree with that but I believe history will not look kindly on that fight.

Machida is great and that fight will finally win over the casual fans. Good for him. He deserves it. The guy is definitely the Rodney Dangerfield of MMA. I'm not sure the result is any different if Silva takes the center of the ring because he just isn't technical enough. Machida would circle, come in, slide, rinse and repeat. An interesting (or perhaps boring as hell) fight would be Machida and Cung Le.

As far as the Karo fight... This was an awful fight and while I don't disagree with the argument that Kim won the fight, I am more inclined to feel like neither deserved it.

KC, did you make that sig so I can bag up? !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Not even close. I'm not looking forward to the Thiago fight but how exciting is GSP and Anderson Silva going to be? Dana White will be hyping this potential matchup for the next year and we'll all be sick of the P4P Best cliche but it's going to be amazing.

In the same way that GSP was so good it was unfair to Penn last night, that is how unfair Silva is against GSP. GSP is an absolute stud, but after he puts the beat down on Thiago Alves, Silva will destroy him whenever they fight.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:KC, did you make that sig so I can bag up? !+)

Not yet. Sorry. !+)

I have some people coming over today and I'll be pretty busy tomorrow. I'll get it done on Tuesday, if you don't mind. :-/
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm

No I don't mind. You're doing me the favor. Thanks, bro.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby byfrcp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

GSP accused of cheating in win over BJ Penn.

After a dominating victory over B.J. Penn at UFC 94, Georges St. Pierre is clearly the better fighter. GSP left no doubt. And yet now there is, thanks to one of his cornermen, Phil Nurse. It's pretty clear by watching the video that Nurse had some Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed St. Pierre's shoulders, back and chest between the first and second rounds.

Why is that a big deal in mixed martial arts? It's significant because of all the grappling and maneuvering that takes place on the ground. St. Pierre was on top of Penn in the second round and the Hawaiian tried several times to shift his legs up to work for a triangle choke or an armbar. Grip and some friction is huge in these cases and a slippery fighter would make it more difficult to lock on one of those holds. Above you can see, Nurse apply Vaseline to GSP's face, then get more Vaseline, then rub his shoulders, arms and back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Did-GSP-s-corner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

Ehhh, kind of a lame excuse from the Penn camp. Even if it was true, they're claiming that a little Vasoline was enough for GSP to completely rout Penn?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm

NSAC initiated all of this and put this under investigation without participation from Penn or his camp. They haven't really said all that much (at least based on what I have read). If they wanted to make it an excuse they would file an official protest, which is totally within their rights, and they haven't done that. Valentino would probably have been best off not saying anything at all because these things get blown out of proportion but nothing he said was wrong IMHO.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Good? :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk