UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Phatferd » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 pm

You think they are trying to hype up BJ Penn/GSP?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:23 pm

I watched this for the first time last night. Not for me but I never knew how big this was! It was in Mpls so I guess there is a rule that it can't be shown to the public at bars within 20 miles of the event so my buddies went to an out of town bar and told me to come out and watch. It's a big bar and there must have been 500 people packed in there at 5 bucks a pop to get in and 6 dollars a beer 8-o Crazy! I don't know, it might have been because of the location thing and that two guys with MN ties were fighting. Anyway, it wasn't bad, but I'd personally rather watch boxing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Phatferd wrote:You think they are trying to hype up BJ Penn/GSP?

No specifics but the UFC confirmed the fight will happen. BJ is going to stay at LW and move back and forth which is pretty cool.

jfg wrote:Anyway, it wasn't bad, but I'd personally rather watch boxing.

That was my exact attitude the first time I saw MMA. But this sport has a way of growing on you. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Phatferd wrote:You think they are trying to hype up BJ Penn/GSP?

No specifics but the UFC confirmed the fight will happen. BJ is going to stay at LW and move back and forth which is pretty cool.

I know it's gonna happen. I am hearing the week between Christmas and New Years of this year. I just think it's funny how they don't even try and pretend that it isn't a done deal and build up suspense. It almost looked like the WWE to me with Lesnar doing this antics and having Penn in the ring to "challenge" GSP (even though Penn didn't come right out and say it).
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 pm

The UFC has definitely done the WWE-style build-up before. The notable one was Wand in the ring with Liddel prior to PRIDE folding. Not sure it was the case here since the UFC has been pretty adamant about Penn staying at LW. I think this was Penn trying to force the issue more than the UFC trying to build it up (not to say they are beyond doing that).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 pm

Couture back, fighting Lesnar on Nov. 15. B-)

I am going to the UFC this weekend. My second event. :-B
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Evan Tanner's body was found in the desert. :,-(

Evan Tanner wrote this in his Spike blog a month ago:

I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby J35J » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 am

Amazinz wrote:Evan Tanner's body was found in the desert. :,-(

Evan Tanner wrote this in his Spike blog a month ago:

I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life

Whoa, thats crazy stuff. RIP Evan!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:49 am

I heard that he was treasure hunting! WTF?

RIP Evan. Loved the hair man.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby J35J » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I heard that he was treasure hunting! WTF?

RIP Evan. Loved the hair man.

I've googled different stories....sounds like he was planning this camping trip for a month or more. He had all the neccessary equipment for the trip and everything from all accounts. He ended up texting some friends that he ran out of gas and water....they say it was the heat exposure that got him.

Anyway, not sure it was a treasure hunt....more just a camping trip by himself. Crazy stuff... from the things I've read everyone was suprised he ran out of water so fast since he seemed so prepared for his trip.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk