UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:54 pm

I think if you look at the list of fighters fedor has destroyed, including the current UFC HW champ (twice) -- you'll see than the level of competion is arguably even between the two. Although, Fedor has never actually lost. Point is: you can't just call Silva the best P4P like the UFC would have you do. Fedor has to be considered, greatly, in that conversation.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:03 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Fedor has to be considered, greatly, in that conversation.

Absolutely. So does BJ Penn. I think you can make a solid argument for any of them. If you think Fedor is the PFP champ, I wouldn't argue. However, you're wrong IMHO to say it's just hype when the UFC refers to Silva as PFP champ.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Fedor has to be considered, greatly, in that conversation.

Absolutely. So does BJ Penn. I think you can make a solid argument for any of them. If you think Fedor is the PFP champ, I wouldn't argue. However, you're wrong IMHO to say it's just hype when the UFC refers to Silva as PFP champ.

I agree about the Spider. Silva and Fedor are on the very top tier and one can make an argument for either being p4p champ. I think GSP and Penn are slighlty below those two. I just don't like it when UFC or it's fans claim the undisputed p4P title for Silva because it shows great ignorace. Just as it would if one were to claim Fedor absolute P4p champ. That was the point I was trying to make.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Meh. That's just pissin' and moanin', breeze. }:-)

If you think either of them are P4P candidates then it really shouldn't bother you to hear them referred to as such. Like Mookie pointed out, P4P has always been a silly concept way before it was being used in MMA and K1 circles. Nothing's changed.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Pissin and complainin' are two of my favorite things to do :-b

I love the p4p discussion. It can be interesting to debate, just like debating all time greats in just about any sport. It's food for thought, I don't find it to be particularly ridiculous.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 pm

EliteXC tonight. Smith/Lawler part 2. :-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:EliteXC tonight. Smith/Lawler part 2. :-)

Did they already fight? I forgot all about that and actually wanted to see the rematch.

EDIT: Awesome, they're coming up next. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 pm

A lot of fun for a free card. Really enjoyed the Diaz fight.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:51 am

I only caught Lawler/Smith but that was a pretty good fight. It looked like Smith was waiting for the ref to call it when the cut opened on Lawler's head, and I kept waiting for the ref to stop it when they rubbed heads and the blood was all over Smith's face, but obviously not. Smith should have been more aggresive, like he said post fight. Good stuff though ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:52 pm

WEC live tonight on VERSUS. Three belts on the line. :-B
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk