UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby 5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Anyone disappointed with the semis in TUF?

Amir and CB should be the finals. I'm not at all interested in Jesse and Tim. I have a feeling that we will see a finals of Jesse trying to hold CB down for 15 minutes and not succeeding. snooze. I am really looking forward to CB and Amir but not in the semis.

Yes...but who the heck are you to question Dana? ;-)

I've seen a few of CB's fights over the past couple of years on HDNet. He has skills and he's showing them.

About 85...
That was some knee by Thiago Alves. The game has evolved...Hughes has to retire. I guess he'll stick around to fight Serra but then hang it up. Very disappointing performance....pulling guard, laying on his back...outclassed today again.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:42 am

I don't really have a problem with the way the semi-finals was set up. C.B. and Jesse are the best two fighters. Yeah, Jesse seems pretty raw and pretty boring but I don't think you can hold that against him. Plus it's guys like Jesse that separate the chaff from the wheat and since C.B. was basically this season's ringer, it's not all bad. I only saw that one C.B. fight on the HD Net fight nights (after the fact) but it was hard to gauge him because his opponent seemed like a can.

UFC 85 was nothing special. Decent if it was on Spike, not worth the big money. I hated to see Marquadt lose on that bull crap point deduction. Definitely time for Hughes to retire. Tough watching the greats on the downside of their career.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:55 am

You really think that Jesse is one of the two best fighters? I think that Amir is much more impressive and I think that Jesse would have had a tough time against any half decent striker with any take-down defence. The guys that he has fought so far have had zero take down defence and Jesse just sat on them for 10 minutes.

Also wrt Hughes I heard that Alves was 195 at fight time. I know that he didn't make weight but I didn't see the fight. Did he look that much bigger than Hughes? This is the second time that Alves has missed weight. The last time he used drugs to make weight and got suspended for it. If he's really a small middleweight instead of a big welterweight do you think that the UFC will move him up a division? There's more than enough talent in the welterweight division. Even though a fight with GSP would be great, a title fight between Alves and Silva would be huge. Move him up and make him fight through Franklin and Leben then give him a title shot against Silva.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You really think that Jesse is one of the two best fighters?

Yeah based on what I think the results would be, not necessarily who I'd prefer to pay to watch fight.

Mookie4ever wrote:Also wrt Hughes I heard that Alves was 195 at fight time. I know that he didn't make weight but I didn't see the fight. Did he look that much bigger than Hughes? This is the second time that Alves has missed weight. The last time he used drugs to make weight and got suspended for it. If he's really a small middleweight instead of a big welterweight do you think that the UFC will move him up a division? There's more than enough talent in the welterweight division. Even though a fight with GSP would be great, a title fight between Alves and Silva would be huge. Move him up and make him fight through Franklin and Leben then give him a title shot against Silva.

I would not have guessed 21 lbs bigger but yeah he looked a lot bigger. It was probably amplified by the fact that, like the last couple of fights, Hughes came in with a lot less muscle mass than he used to.

Not sure about moving to MW. Joe rogan was talking about this during the broadcast. Alves is one of those guys screwed by the current weight system. Barely makes WW but too small (I think) for MW.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:06 pm

:-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Just watched Rampage on the Jimmy Kimmel show on YouTube from a couple of nights ago. Pretty hilarious if you haven't seen it. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that John Singleton asked Rampage to audition for the role of B.A. Baracus in the A-Team movie. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

I was impressed with Jesse's cardio and he stayed active. GnP looked good inside the guard. I was not impressed with his control and takedowns. Tim's BJJ was pretty bad for a a BJJ guy. Ridiculous how he lost superior position twice. So maybe you'll end up being right that it should have been C.B. and Amir finale. What the heck happens next week? Did anyone catch what actually happened?
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:23 am

So what is this rumored big news from Dana White supposed to be?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 am

I think the announcement got pushed to next TUE. Don't really know what is. Of the rumors, legalization of MMA in NY seems likeliest to me.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 pm

EliteXC was pretty weak. Lots of mismatches. Boxing theatrics at the end with Diaz and Noons dad was sad but strangely fascinating. Noons win was impressive, wish it had been longer and more of a war though.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk