UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 am

Faber's win over Pulver was epic. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Mookie, Marquadt -185. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 pm

explain all these different leagues or whatever you want to call them. I have been trying to get into UFC after watching the BJ Penn fight a couple weeks ago. My buddies are big fans and order all the fights. Anyways, if UFC is considered the Major Leagues then why are we watching the WEC and Faber? I mean I watched it and it was a lot of fun to watch, but why wouldn't he be fighting in the UFC if he was that good?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:33 pm

WEC is owned by Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC. UFC does not have Fly (Faber's weight class) and Bantam weight classes. There is some overlapping between the UFC and WEC. However, I wouldn't call WEC minor leagues because they have some A talent just not nearly as much of it. A lot of the other orgs have "some" A talent too but none rival the UFC and haven't since the Japanese promotion PRIDE was bought out by Zuffa.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:28 am

Amazinz wrote:Mookie, Marquadt -185. :-D

They look like good matches but the oddsmakers have them all as mismatches. The only close one is Swick -120 Davis -105. Thiago Alves should give Hughes a good fight but at +150 either they are just trying to get some action going or they don't think that he has much of a chance. What about the Canadian Jason Day to stop Bisping and paying +250? :-] That would be sweet.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 am

Phatferd wrote:explain all these different leagues or whatever you want to call them. I have been trying to get into UFC after watching the BJ Penn fight a couple weeks ago. My buddies are big fans and order all the fights. Anyways, if UFC is considered the Major Leagues then why are we watching the WEC and Faber? I mean I watched it and it was a lot of fun to watch, but why wouldn't he be fighting in the UFC if he was that good?

You do have a point though. Some fighters that could fight in the UFC deliberately keep smaller so that they can fight in the WEC either b/c they can't fight the talent in the UFC or have been unsuccessful doing so. Guys like Joe Doerkson who lost 6 of 7 fights in the UFC and Pulver who couldn't beat Penn move down a weight class so that they can compete. True flyweights though have no other place to fight.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 pm

and there's also DREAM...an organization with fighs in Japan (similar to the now non-existent PRIDE) featuring top talent....the UFC doesn't have all the best fighters...lots of them but certainly not all of them. For example, the #3 LW in the world is Aoki and he fights for DREAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_(Mixed_Martial_Arts)

If you have HDNet, you can watch the DREAM events.

To name a couple more....
IFL which features more of a camp concept with a decent amount of championship fights - each card seems to have three now.

Affliction, a new org, with a show in July - Fedor v. Sylvia, Josh Barnett v. Rizzo, Lindland, Babalu, Rothwell v. Arlovski, Aleks Emelianenko v. Buentello, Nogueira (of the Rodrigo variety). Several of these fighters have fought in the UFC but left for various reasons (ridiculously strict contracts, limited success, etc.)

It's all MMA and it's all good.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:06 am

UFC 85 Predictions:

Hughes over Alves
Bisping over Day
Swick over Davis
Vera over Werdum
Marquardt over Leites

I've also got Pavlik over Lockett in the world of boxing.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 am

I really don't like the fact we have to pay for this one. :-t

The Pretty Boy rumors are in high gear again... :-D

I mostly agree with you picks Cord except that I will take Davis over Swick. I'd also add Hardonk and Kampmann (could be two really good fights). Also, I'm not super confident in the Vera pick. If I bet, that would be the last fight I'd touch.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Anyone disappointed with the semis in TUF?

Amir and CB should be the finals. I'm not at all interested in Jesse and Tim. I have a feeling that we will see a finals of Jesse trying to hold CB down for 15 minutes and not succeeding. snooze. I am really looking forward to CB and Amir but not in the semis.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk