UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby cordscords » Sun May 25, 2008 2:51 am

What an awesome night ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 26, 2008 9:21 am

Really enjoyed that. Turned out even better than I expected. B-)

Most impressive thing may be all the newcomers: Carwin, Reljic, Yoshida, Palhares. I can't remember a card where we had that many eye-opening debuts. Joe Silva (and scouts?) really deserve a lot of credit. Palhares' transition into the armbar was awesome. THAT IS HIGH LEVEL. How many times did Rogan say that? LMAO. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 am

Have you guys been keeping up with TUF this season? One of the better seasons I think. As much as they hyped this Matt Brown guy he has really been disappointing. And I love the neanderthal dude (name eludes me atm).

Anyway, pretty sweet weekend coming up, all for free. Kimbo versus Thompson on Saturday and Pulver vs. Faber on Sunday. That one is going to be great. I also love Thompson. Don't ask me why. I know he never lived up to that initial hype when he came to PRIDE but I'll be rooting hard core for him to lay Kimbo out. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am

Kimbo over Thompson
Lawler over Smith
Carano over Young
Rogers over Murphy
Baroni over Villasenor

Faber over Pulver
Torres over Maeda
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 am

Amazinz wrote:Have you guys been keeping up with TUF this season? One of the better seasons I think. As much as they hyped this Matt Brown guy he has really been disappointing. And I love the neanderthal dude (name eludes me atm).

Anyway, pretty sweet weekend coming up, all for free. Kimbo versus Thompson on Saturday and Pulver vs. Faber on Sunday. That one is going to be great. I also love Thompson. Don't ask me why. I know he never lived up to that initial hype when he came to PRIDE but I'll be rooting hard core for him to lay Kimbo out. :-D

I've been keeping up with it. I think that this season is great. The reason that I stopped watching in season three was because there was not enough fighting and too much focus on the stupid in-house disputes. Now that they have 2 fights an episode and focus on the fighting, the training and the fighter backgrounds instead of on the phony reality disputes the show is a million times better.

Is the neanderthal dude that you like Jesse? He is such a boring fighter. 3 fights so far he has just leaned on his opponent, gotten him to the ground and gone 5 mins of kidney punches. Right from the start my favourite has been Amir (Shodallah?). He goes right after every opponent. Eats a lot of punches and finishes every fight. The guys is tough. He's also very funny and before every match has admitted to being nervous about the possibility of losing. Not your typical meathead.

I would really love to see Faber in the UFC. It really needs a flyweight cat. It's a shame that Urijah Faber has never been able to fight in the UFC and that Pulver has had to leave in order to fight at the right weight.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Is the neanderthal dude that you like Jesse? He is such a boring fighter. 3 fights so far he has just leaned on his opponent, gotten him to the ground and gone 5 mins of kidney punches. Right from the start my favourite has been Amir (Shodallah?). He goes right after every opponent. Eats a lot of punches and finishes every fight. The guys is tough. He's also very funny and before every match has admitted to being nervous about the possibility of losing. Not your typical meathead.

Jesse, that's it. Yeah he's a fairly one-dimensional GnPer. Pretty boring. But he cracks me up with the things he says, his diet, etc. I agree about Amir. He has that inviting Forrest-like personality plus he's looked great for a guy with no pro fights.

Mookie4ever wrote:I would really love to see Faber in the UFC. It really needs a flyweight cat. It's a shame that Urijah Faber has never been able to fight in the UFC and that Pulver has had to leave in order to fight at the right weight.

Yeah I'd rather have it go down in the UFC too. But WEC has been way more impressive as an org than I ever expected. Plus these guys are getting a ton of exposure and will be shown on "free" TV. So it's not all bad. Good exposure that might attract some new fans.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 31, 2008 11:52 pm

Ugh. Something continues to stink with this org and Gary Shaw. Glad to see Kimbo exposed.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby cordscords » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:51 am

Amazinz wrote:Ugh. Something continues to stink with this org and Gary Shaw. Glad to see Kimbo exposed.

What did you expect? Kimbo is still a propsect who has been fighting professionaly for 7 months. The guy is bound to have holes in his game. I thought Kimbo looked ok on the ground. He had the basics down, and with time will be able to defend himself and counter even better.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:45 pm

cordscords wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Ugh. Something continues to stink with this org and Gary Shaw. Glad to see Kimbo exposed.

What did you expect? Kimbo is still a propsect who has been fighting professionaly for 7 months. The guy is bound to have holes in his game. I thought Kimbo looked ok on the ground. He had the basics down, and with time will be able to defend himself and counter even better.

I found it odd they didn't stop the fight when Kimbo was getting elbows to the head for the last 30-40 seconds of Rd 2 but as soon as that guy's hideous ear busted open they stopped it...

That thing was gross.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:03 pm

cordscords wrote:What did you expect? Kimbo is still a propsect who has been fighting professionaly for 7 months. The guy is bound to have holes in his game. I thought Kimbo looked ok on the ground. He had the basics down, and with time will be able to defend himself and counter even better.

I am not sure what you mean about expectations. Kimbo’s performance met my expectations. I was not convinced that this would be the fight to meet them. This was another fight chosen to protect Kimbo. However, Thompson’s decision to drop muscle mass and to target Kimbo’s obvious weakness almost caused a backfire. I would blame the referee’s poor judgment and the premature stoppage but the bottom line is that if Thompson had pro level ground skills he would have won. It is a shame that he did not as far as I am concerned but it is what it is.

I realize that Kimbo is bound to have holes in his game. My dislike of him has grown due to EliteXC/Shaw’s promotion of Kimbo. They could spend their resources promoting and highlighting the real athletes of MMA. Instead, we get the spectacle that encompasses many of the things that comprised the downfall of Boxing. I guess in one sense you can call Kimbo a prospect but the hard truth is that he is a 34 year old who will be done in by age before his skills can reach the pro level. That is of course assuming that the potential is there which I find questionable.

bigken117 wrote:I found it odd they didn't stop the fight when Kimbo was getting elbows to the head for the last 30-40 seconds of Rd 2 but as soon as that guy's hideous ear busted open they stopped it...

I definitely agree. I really hate to call big Dan's integrity into question because he has been a good ref for the UFC and other events. However, his decision not to call the fight when Kimbo was unable to defend himself and took countless shots to the head is curious indeed. Ooh that smell... :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk