UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby cordscords » Tue May 20, 2008 3:35 pm

I can't wait for UFC 84 this weekend.

Penn over Sherk
W. Silva over Jardine
Machida over Ortiz
Gouveia over Reljic
T. Silva over Mendes
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 20, 2008 3:52 pm

cordscords wrote:I can't wait for UFC 84 this weekend.

Penn over Sherk
W. Silva over Jardine
Machida over Ortiz
Gouveia over Reljic
T. Silva over Mendes

I like Jardine over Silva.

Machida is interesting. Skinny looking guy without knockout power. Sokoudjou was so disappointing that I don't give any weight to that fight. Could be overwhelmed by Ortiz but he controlled Heath so he can probably withstand Ortiz and gas him to win a decision. Could be really boring.

I would love to see BJ submit Sherk.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Yeah I am excited about Machida/Ortiz but it definitely has the makings of a snoozefest. I want Machida to win that one just because I'm confident he's legit (wins over Rich Franklin and BJ Penn don't lie) and Tito is on his way out. I have to take Silva by KO. I don't think he's done and if he fights strong inside and pressures he'll take away the leg kicks and make for a difficult match-up for Jardine. I'm also taking Penn over Sherk by DEC.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yeah I am excited about Machida/Ortiz but it definitely has the makings of a snoozefest. I want Machida to win that one just because I'm confident he's legit (wins over Rich Franklin and BJ Penn don't lie) and Tito is on his way out. I have to take Silva by KO. I don't think he's done and if he fights strong inside and pressures he'll take away the leg kicks and make for a difficult match-up for Jardine. I'm also taking Penn over Sherk by DEC.

BJ by a decision?
How many of his wins have been by decision? If it goes the distance he usually loses. Has he even gone 5 rounds before?

If it goes past 3 rounds I give the edge to Sherk.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Indeed. But I'm buying into the "new" BJ (conditional and all) and I think Sherk is almost "unsubmitable". :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:Indeed. But I'm buying into the "new" BJ (conditional and all) and I think Sherk is almost "unsubmitable". :-D

It's a title fight right? So 5 rounds.
The fat Penn would get gassed after one round. The new BJ could go 3 but not 5.
BJ has to stop him. If it goes to a decision I don't think that BJ can win.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby cordscords » Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Penn over Sherk
W. Silva over Jardine
Machida over Ortiz
Gouveia over Reljic
T. Silva over Mendes

Machida is interesting. Skinny looking guy without knockout power. Sokoudjou was so disappointing that I don't give any weight to that fight. Could be overwhelmed by Ortiz but he controlled Heath so he can probably withstand Ortiz and gas him to win a decision. Could be really boring.

Silva's Muay Thai is bad, bad news for Jardine. He's going to get into the clinch at some point and explode in a similar fashion to the way Houston Alexander knocked him out. I've got Wanderlei finishing him sometime in the first 2 rounds.

I think Machida-Ortiz is a tough one to call. Ortiz, IMO, still has some of the best wrestling & ground 'n pound in MMA. Machida hasnt faced a top notch wrestler yet. It will be interesting to see how he does against one. Ultimatley though I think his overall talent gives him the edge over Tito in a snooze fest UD.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 21, 2008 7:50 am

cordscords wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Penn over Sherk
W. Silva over Jardine
Machida over Ortiz
Gouveia over Reljic
T. Silva over Mendes

Silva's Muay Thai is bad, bad news for Jardine. He's going to get into the clinch at some point and explode in a similar fashion to the way Houston Alexander knocked him out. I've got Wanderlei finishing him sometime in the first 2 rounds.

I think Machida-Ortiz is a tough one to call. Ortiz, IMO, still has some of the best wrestling & ground 'n pound in MMA. Machida hasnt faced a top notch wrestler yet. It will be interesting to see how he does against one. Ultimatley though I think his overall talent gives him the edge over Tito in a snooze fest UD.

I don't agree with you on Jardine/Silva. Jardine is a slight underdog at + 138 and I'm putting some coin on Jardine.

As for Machida, you don't think that BJ Penn is a top notch wrestler? He's beaten strikers and wrestlers and at this point Ortiz is only top in conditioning.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 am

I would say that BJ is not that good of a wrestler. Not that that's a criticism, it's just not really part of his game. I think the point about Machida having not faced a strong wrestler is a good point. However, as a counter to that, his last two fights are wins over high-level Judokas (Sokoudjou & Nakamura). I know wrestling and Judo is not a simple comparison but worth noting that Machida beat these guys at their own game. My other counter would be that I'm not convinced Ortiz is really a high-level wrestler anymore (or ever but...). There is no doubt Tito has some of the nastiest GnP ever but I just don't think he gets Machida into that position.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby cordscords » Wed May 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:I would say that BJ is not that good of a wrestler. Not that that's a criticism, it's just not really part of his game. I think the point about Machida having not faced a strong wrestler is a good point. However, as a counter to that, his last two fights are wins over high-level Judokas (Sokoudjou & Nakamura). I know wrestling and Judo is not a simple comparison but worth noting that Machida beat these guys at their own game. My other counter would be that I'm not convinced Ortiz is really a high-level wrestler anymore (or ever but...). There is no doubt Tito has some of the nastiest GnP ever but I just don't think he gets Machida into that position.

I'm with Amazinz. Penn has a wrestling background and he's not bad at it, but he's far from being an elite wrestler like his upcoming opponent Sean Sherk, Dan Henderson, Matt Hughes, etc. Plus Penn was fighting out of his natural weight class as he put on quite some weight to fight Machida so he was at a little bit of a disadvantage. Not trying to take anything away from Machida in that fight, but it was Penn's first at 205. If I remember the fight correctly Penn looked slow in his takedown attempts and Machida immediatley sprawled and controled him. If not please correct me.

And I know I'm in the minority when I say Tito is still a top wrestler, but I still believe in him. It's very rare that at some point during a fight Tito doesnt end up on top. He's dangerous in the mount, and will keep relentlessly working even if you have a good guard to make his opponent try to make a sudden move so he can capitalize on it. His only losses in the last few years are to Chuck & Randy. 2 legends. I think Tito is really being underrated in this fight and will pose some problems for Machida.

That being said I still think Machida takes it but Tito will make him work for it.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk