UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:03 pm

What did you guys think? I thought it was a pretty good card overall. French-Canadian crowd was great and acted just like a U.S. crowd. Must be a North American thang. Best part of the night, outside of the fights, was the crowd turning on Kalib Starnes. Hilarious.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:What did you guys think? I thought it was a pretty good card overall. French-Canadian crowd was great and acted just like a U.S. crowd. Must be a North American thang. Best part of the night, outside of the fights, was the crowd turning on Kalib Starnes. Hilarious.

Nate was also hilarious with his hand over face one hand punching. :-b

I've never heard of a 30-24 fight before, much less where the loser wasn't hurt at all. He's sealed his fate. There's no way Dana will ever have that guy fight again in the UFC.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:02 pm

josebach wrote:
Amazinz wrote:What did you guys think? I thought it was a pretty good card overall. French-Canadian crowd was great and acted just like a U.S. crowd. Must be a North American thang. Best part of the night, outside of the fights, was the crowd turning on Kalib Starnes. Hilarious.

I've never heard of a 30-24 fight before, much less where the loser wasn't hurt at all. He's sealed his fate. There's no way Dana will ever have that guy fight again in the UFC.

This was the first UFC PPV I ever watched. I was pretty impressed with the skill these guys have.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby josebach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:56 am

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:

This was the first UFC PPV I ever watched. I was pretty impressed with the skill these guys have.

There is a ton of skill and athleticism involved. The sport has really evolved over what it was 15 years ago. As for Saturday's card... it was decent. You didn't get to see a lot of good striking which is what most people prefer. Those knees GSP kept landing were brutal, though. :-o The next UFC card on May 24th is awesome and would be a good PPV to get. BJ Penn, Wanderlai Silva, Tito Ortiz and Ivan Salavery all fight. It should be a really well-rounded card with a great combination of standup and ground. ;-D

Also, if you liked it, you should definitely watch the tv show. It comes on Thursday nights at 10:00 PM EST. There's some reality show BS to it, but the fights and fighters are for real. ;-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 am

That knee is a devastating weapon, isn't it? It seemed like every fighter that landed the first good knee won his bout. I don't know if that's always the case, but that's what it looked like.

A couple of things really stood out to me. First, that Lutter/Franklin match - Franklin looked done to me when Lutter got him in that hold in the first round (I think), but that escape Franklin worked was flat amazing. I saw it, I saw the replay, and I still don't know how he did that. :-D I think that was the most impressive thing I saw all night. The logistics of that move, to know your body and to know how it can and can't torque, twist and bend, is pretty cool. When Franklin got out of that hold, Lutter seemed to lose spirit. Then Franklin's knee somewhere in the second round rocked Lutter, and it was over. The emcee was saying something about Lutter being "tired." I didn't see that. I saw a guy who wasn't all in that ring after that knee. Once Franklin tagged him, it was just a matter of time.

Second, Kalib Starnes is done in UFC, isn't he? What the heck was he thinking? What kind of fight was that? I can't imagine a guy going into that fight thinking that "strategy" would pay off in any way. I wasn't shocked at all at that 24-30 score - in fact, I was kind of surprised the other scorecards weren't 24-30 as well. Mercy points, apparently. The dumbest part of the fight was when Quarry was chasing after him with his hand over his face there at the end. Why in the world wouldn't Starnes have taken a crack at him right then? To not even try - that's the worst thing he could have done. Don't you have to earn your way into UFC? That guy has to get kicked out. He has to.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 am

knapplc wrote:Don't you have to earn your way into UFC? That guy has to get kicked out. He has to.

He was on the TV show and actually has done pretty well up until Saturday night. If he wasn't fighting Nate Quarry, he probably wouldn't have made it to the actual PPV and would have been in one of the earlier fights that aren't shown. Plus he's Canadian, which I'm sure is part of the reason he made this particular card. He really seems more suitable for the "fight nights" which are similar events to the PPVs except they're free on TV and don't have the really big names usually. That's another thing... definitely watch "fight nights". Just because they don't have the big names doesn't meant the fights aren't awesome. It seems the last year or so, the fights have been better than on the PPVs. That's one of the strange things about this sport. Marquis matchups don't always deliver. That, and on any given night... anybody can lose. They only wear 4 oz gloves and anybody is susceptible to being knocked out... even the little guys. I think that's why GSP took the fight to the ground. His standup is awesome, but he was being careful.

Oh, and you're right about Franklin's submission escape. That was crazy. I actually picked Lutter to win, but am glad Franklin did. I really don't think the knee hurt him too badly. I think Lutter burned a lot of energy trying to submit Franklin and just got tired. As Franklin said in the interview, Lutter is known to tire easily. When we were watching the fight, I mentioned he looked gassed right before his first half-assed takedown attempt. As soon as I saw that, I knew the fight was over.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 pm

Starnes just got cut. Comments below the story allege that he was disgruntled because UFC didn't help with his medical bills after his last fight, and/or that it was his last fight under contract and he was sticking it to UFC. Who knows. He didn't belong in that octagon that night, that much was obvious.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 am

knapplc wrote: He didn't belong in that octagon that night, that much was obvious.

Very true. I'll be interested to hear his excuse. I kind of feel sorry for him, because whatever the reason, MMA fans are going to be umerciful towards him. You should check out sherdog.com. It's probably the best site on the net for MMA news and info. (I'm a member there, but never post because there are so many jerks on the boards.) Anyway, lets just say they're being less than kind to him right now...
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:28 pm

There were a lot of rumors initially but his first real interview is up on FightNetwork.com. He says that he broke his foot on the first kick of the first round. Sounds like bull of course since he backpedaled extremely well for a guy with a broken foot. Also, on Sherdog (in the forums section) they have a video breakdown of the first round and hilariously Starnes did not land a kick until the 2nd.

He says that he requested the UFC let him out of his contract and both Dana White and Joe Silva have basically said that they are. However, it hasn't happened yet and Yahoo's Kevin Iolo's story (the headline specifically) was really premature. No worse than the SI headline which read, Franklin retains welterweight crown with TKO of Lutter at UFC 83 (they have since fixed it). :-S

Something positive... At the post fight press conference the UFC said that they are changing the WEC so that it focuses solely on the lighter weights. I'm assuming Bantam and Feather and maybe a secondary Lightweight since the UFC's LW division is both stacked and deep. The heavier weights are going to be merged into the UFC which is an awesome talent infusion: LHW (Stann, Marshall), MW (Filho, Sonnen), WW (Condit, Larson). And if LW does get merged than we've got Varner and McCullough too. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 pm

ESPN finally kicked off MMA Live. It only airs on ESPN.com for now but at least it's a start. I knew it wouldn't get air time on ESPN yet but I was hoping for ESPN2 or ESPN News. Anyway, every THUR at 6 ET.

Here's the link to the first show: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... Id=2881270
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk