UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 pm

She must be a tall girl b/c he is well over 7 ft. right?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:15 am

Is this it for Gonzaga at the UFC? I was really hoping he'd win against Werdum. Gonzaga did pretty well in the 1st Round, but looked gassed in the 2nd. It's too bad cuz Werdum isn't that good, he did nothing against Arlovski in his last fight and I didn't think he'd be able to hold on a lot longer against Gonzaga on the stand up.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 am

Anyone think Brock Lesnar stands a chance?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:03 am

I have seen Choi fight several times and every time he steps into the ring he looks like a major dork. However, in that picture he looks scary as hell! :-D

Gonzaga: Nah. I don't think this is the end for him. I think he got overrated (I'm guilty of this too) after beating Cro Cop. Now it will probably swing too far the other way. Werdum is a very good fighter that probably always had the potential to be Top 5. I know he looked liked crap in his first fight in the UFC but you really have to go back and look at his PRIDE career. His BJJ is world class and his striking has continued to improve thanks to being Cro Cop's sparring partner (although I think they recently parted ways and Werdum is with Chute Boxe now).

Lesnar: Yes, I think Lesnar has more than a chance. He really impressed me during his first fight at K1 Dynamite. Granted Kim is a bit of a can but Lesnar's wrestling skills are legit, he's probably the strongest man fighting in the weight class and he moves like a MW. That's really astonishing for a guy his size. We don't know really know which Frank Mir we're getting but I have the hunch that even if good Mir shows up he is simply dominated by a powerful wrestler. However, with two highly skilled ground fighters there's always the chance it turns into a sloppy slug fest. If that happens it's anyone's guess.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 am

Amazinz wrote:I have seen Choi fight several times and every time he steps into the ring he looks like a major dork. However, in that picture he looks scary as hell! :-D

Gonzaga: Nah. I don't think this is the end for him. I think he got overrated (I'm guilty of this too) after beating Cro Cop. Now it will probably swing too far the other way. Werdum is a very good fighter that probably always had the potential to be Top 5. I know he looked liked crap in his first fight in the UFC but you really have to go back and look at his PRIDE career. His BJJ is world class and his striking has continued to improve thanks to being Cro Cop's sparring partner (although I think they recently parted ways and Werdum is with Chute Boxe now).

Lesnar: Yes, I think Lesnar has more than a chance. He really impressed me during his first fight at K1 Dynamite. Granted Kim is a bit of a can but Lesnar's wrestling skills are legit, he's probably the strongest man fighting in the weight class and he moves like a MW. That's really astonishing for a guy his size. We don't know really know which Frank Mir we're getting but I have the hunch that even if good Mir shows up he is simply dominated by a powerful wrestler. However, with two highly skilled ground fighters there's always the chance it turns into a sloppy slug fest. If that happens it's anyone's guess.

I'm gonna try and watch this fight at the local pub really looking forward to it

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 am

Ooh almost forgot, tonight is UFC Fight Night on Spike at 9. Some nice fights for a free card: Swick v Burkman and Cote v McFedries. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:21 am

Amazinz wrote:Ooh almost forgot, tonight is UFC Fight Night on Spike at 9. Some nice fights for a free card: Swick v Burkman and Cote v McFedries. ;-D

Thanks for the reminder ;-D

CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am

Gooooo Cote

Am I the only one that thinks that Lesnar is the worst possible thing for the UFC. MMA wants to be taken seriously as a sport and wants legitimacy. Lesnar is coming over from pro wrestling and looks like a roided up monster. I know that he had an impressive amateur wrestling career but most people are going to remember him with Paul Heyman and a stupid feud with Eric Bishoff. Is that what the UFC wants associated with its sport? The name and background are terrible for the sport but if he can fight he can fight, I just don't think that the UFC should be promoting him like they are.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Gooooo Cote

Am I the only one that thinks that Lesnar is the worst possible thing for the UFC. MMA wants to be taken seriously as a sport and wants legitimacy. Lesnar is coming over from pro wrestling and looks like a roided up monster. I know that he had an impressive amateur wrestling career but most people are going to remember him with Paul Heyman and a stupid feud with Eric Bishoff. Is that what the UFC wants associated with its sport? The name and background are terrible for the sport but if he can fight he can fight, I just don't think that the UFC should be promoting him like they are.

I understand your point of view but if they can get some wrestling fan's to watch because of him they will be able to keep most of them when they see real action. As long as he can fight that's all that matters

CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 pm

I agree with CadensDad. MMA's reputation in North America has overcome a lot. I really don't think Lesnar's past as a pro wrestler is going to tarnish it at this point. I realize one fight is not a lot of evidence. However, based on what I saw he is legitimate. If he comes into MMA and fights at a high level his participation in pro wrestling will only be a footnote. Nobody will care.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk