UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby 5 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:44 pm

Amazinz wrote:
5 wrote:Amazinz - what...you really thought Hughes would take that one? Hughes should retire unless he wants to continue working toward facing GSP again...only to be made to look foolish again.

Eh? I think you take this type of stuff to Sherdog where it belongs. :-S

I did think Hughes could win the fight but if there was any, there is no doubt now that St. Pierre is in a class by himself. (Although I think Fitch will give him much more of a fight than most suspect.) As far as Hughes chances, perhaps I was thinking more with my heart than my head but it's not exactly an off the wall notion. Hughes is one of the greatest fighters in the history of MMA. GSP being better them him now or always doesn't change that fact.

This Sherdog mentality that GSP made Hughes looked foolish or embarrassed him is ridiculous. Hughes got beat by an amazing athlete with superior technique that pulled off one of the greatest arm bars I have ever seen. People will see it the way they want to because of personal bias against Hughes.

As for Eddie Sanchez, I only watched the PPV once so I might have missed something but I am not sure what you are referring to.

Sherdog mentality? I check those forums once in a while but that's not my main source of info/posting. What does Sherdog have to do with GSP embarrassing Hughes? Do you prefer the term "dominated"? Hughes boys are tired of hearing people dump on him I know so I don't wanna piss you off. After all, you're a Met fan who likes Dexter. ;-D

Good point about Fitch. He's for real.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:30 pm

5 wrote:Sherdog mentality? I check those forums once in a while but that's not my main source of info/posting. What does Sherdog have to do with GSP embarrassing Hughes? Do you prefer the term "dominated"? Hughes boys are tired of hearing people dump on him I know so I don't wanna piss you off.

I didn't know whether or not you're a Sherdog regular but your attitude is typical of that community. Perhaps I am becoming an old fart but it shows a lack of appreciation for the sport.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:17 pm

I know absolutely nothing about MMA, but my brother in law was just telling me the other day that he's teaching kickboxing (and a little grappling) for a Team Quest gym. Apparently they've got a bunch of fighters that show up on the fights they show on VS, and a few that should be making it to UFC in the near future. There's also some association with Randy Couture, I'm not sure if he's the guy in charge or what. Anyway, I did think it was interesting, even though I don't watch it and don't know anything about it. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:38 pm

He is a general public instructor or a fight trainer? Either way, that's pretty impressive. I imagine you have to be pretty high level regardless.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:He is a general public instructor or a fight trainer? Either way, that's pretty impressive. I imagine you have to be pretty high level regardless.

He is an instructor at the gym. I know that he's sparred and stuff with some of the Team Quest guys but he doesn't fight any more. I didn't realize how good he is/was, but I'd agree that he's got to be at a pretty high level just to teach at one of those gyms. But again, I don't know much about any of it. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 5 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Amazinz wrote:He is a general public instructor or a fight trainer? Either way, that's pretty impressive. I imagine you have to be pretty high level regardless.

He is an instructor at the gym. I know that he's sparred and stuff with some of the Team Quest guys but he doesn't fight any more. I didn't realize how good he is/was, but I'd agree that he's got to be at a pretty high level just to teach at one of those gyms. But again, I don't know much about any of it. :-D

That's pretty cool, BP

Don't piss him off ;-)
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:15 pm

Lol. Brother-in-law by LHK. :-D

Actually, I've seen a pic of BP and he looks huge (read: not fat). So maybe brother-in-law by liver kick or foot stomp. :-b
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:57 pm

You have to love Serra... :-D

"I love it. Let it be in Canada," says the 33-year-old Italian-American from Long Island, N.Y. after hearing the rematch is tentatively scheduled for April in Montreal.

"Let me tell you about a little movie called Rocky IV. A little Italian guy goes over to Russia to fight a big Russian experiment named Drago.

"Now, a little Italian guy goes to Canada to fight the big Canadian experiment named frickin' GSP. It's a monster movie. I want to be in that movie. I want to be Rocky."
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:You have to love Serra... :-D

"I love it. Let it be in Canada," says the 33-year-old Italian-American from Long Island, N.Y. after hearing the rematch is tentatively scheduled for April in Montreal.

"Let me tell you about a little movie called Rocky IV. A little Italian guy goes over to Russia to fight a big Russian experiment named Drago.

"Now, a little Italian guy goes to Canada to fight the big Canadian experiment named frickin' GSP. It's a monster movie. I want to be in that movie. I want to be Rocky."

I hate Serra. Showed no respect for Hughes. Hell, I like Phil Baroni more than I like Serra. :-t

Where's the sig Amazinz?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:31 pm

I don't have a sig, Mookie. Post what you want me to sport and I will live up to my end of the bargain. I tried finding the last one KC made with no luck. :-)

Well when I said "you gotta love Serra", I didn't mean you really gotta love him just that there's a little bit of genius and hilarity wrapped up in that coarse NY exterior. :-b
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk