UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:20 am

Amazinz wrote:This is a hot debate on the fight forums. They way I see it, the main difference is that in Newton v. Hughes 1 you had "simultaneous" win conditions (Hughes' KO and Newton's submission). Whether or not you are in agreement with the judgment call, Hughes by KO is a valid call. In the Emerson v Maynard fight, the ref stopped the fight due to an invalid tap out and you have "simultaneous" situations where the fighters are unable to continue due to injury. The tap out cannot stand so I believe No Contest was the correct call.

I don't understand. Why was Emerson's tap out "invalid". If he threw in the towel b/w rounds while Maynard was unconscious in his corner does it make a difference. Emerson conceded before the ref stopped the fight due to submission.

As for the Hughes KO - I agree that the KO was a correct call but they were both KOed and he could have corrected it once he realized that Hughes was not able to proceed. Neither party in that fight conceded so if the ref hadn't stopped the fight they both would have lain there unconscious and they would have realized that it was a nc. The difference in the Maynard fight is that the ref didn't stop the fight Emerson did.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 am

Emerson was tapping out because he was unable to continue due to injury. Maynard was unable to continue due to injury. If Emerson doesn't tap, Emerson gets a W. You can't reward a W to a fighter unable to continue due to injury because another fighter was unable to continue due to injury. At least that's the way I see it. These are judgment calls so I don't think we can come to anything definitive and there hasn't been enough precedent to lean on. I think the neatest part of this fight is that it did set precedence.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:45 am

Amazinz wrote:Emerson was tapping out because he was unable to continue due to injury. Maynard was unable to continue due to injury. If Emerson doesn't tap, Emerson gets a W. You can't reward a W to a fighter unable to continue due to injury because another fighter was unable to continue due to injury. At least that's the way I see it. These are judgment calls so I don't think we can come to anything definitive and there hasn't been enough precedent to lean on. I think the neatest part of this fight is that it did set precedence.

Gotta disagree. Emerson gave up. He actually could continue if he wanted to it's just that fighters have different pain thresholds. I don't think that we would ever see Chris Leben tap out, especially when it's just pain and it's not like he's getting choked or about to have his leg broken. Emerson wasn't carted out on a stretcher and was up and talking normally after the fight. He gave up. Not that there is anything wrong with that except that if it had been Leben he would have been punching an unconscious Maynard and would have won the fight. Emerson tapped, conceded and should have lost IMO. Conceding is different.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Not UFC/PRIDE related, but this should be very entertaining fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2918039

Mayweather should take care of this guy with ease.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 pm

No doubt. I'll pay for that. ;D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cordscords » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:45 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:anyone see kimbo choke out ray mercer? i thought he was gonna get his butt kicked too

I just thought he was a street fighter who was beating up a whole bunch of wimps who would get get his butt handed to him against a proper fighter. But man did he look impressive.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby 5 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:41 pm

anyone getting ready for Stacked?

I'm not a "Sugar" hater but I'd kinda like to see Rashad pay his dues. Tito needs a win badly.
Lots of good fights...think Sherk keeps his belt? I do.
And I'm pulling for Nate Marq over A.Silver.
Nog taking on Heath.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:49 pm

Man I hate Tito but Rashad sure is boring. Don't know if he's ever stopped a fight early. Tito's not too exciting either when he doesn't have a mic in front of him. This one looks like a bit of a snoozer.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby 5 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Man I hate Tito but Rashad sure is boring. Don't know if he's ever stopped a fight early. Tito's not too exciting either when he doesn't have a mic in front of him. This one looks like a bit of a snoozer.

Rashad's finished his last two fights in the 2nd round. Remember that high head kick?
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk