UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Postby 5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm gonna watch the EliteXC next weekend on SHO...I think it's on.

I liked the TUF 5 finale. BJ looked great, Gray knocked himself out and argued about it, Nate won...all good.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:38 pm

5 wrote:I'm gonna watch the EliteXC next weekend on SHO...I think it's on.

Is it a new event or a replay of the PPV? I looked on the the site but didn't see anything.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 am

If anybody saw the Emerson Maynard fight, can you explain how it is different from the Carlos Newton Matt Hughes fight? They call the Maynard fight a no contest but the Newton fight went to Hughes? As you can see I'm still pissed off 5 years later :b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 am

Mookie4ever wrote:If anybody saw the Emerson Maynard fight, can you explain how it is different from the Carlos Newton Matt Hughes fight? They call the Maynard fight a no contest but the Newton fight went to Hughes? As you can see I'm still pissed off 5 years later :b

It was a lot more evident that he was knocked out in the Maynard fight. Hughes was in a guillotine and you couldn't tell he was out until later, but you could tell Maynard was out right away. He couldn't even stand up.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:15 am

I liked the TUF 5 finale. BJ looked great, Gray knocked himself out and argued about it, Nate won...all good.

BJ is a complete ass. I lost a lot of respect for him after watching him this season. It was also very poor sportsmanslike to choke Pulver a good 2 seconds after the ref told him to stop. Then his response to the question after the fight?

He may be a great fighter, but the guy's a jerk. I'll be rooting against him no matter who he fights.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 am

josebach wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:If anybody saw the Emerson Maynard fight, can you explain how it is different from the Carlos Newton Matt Hughes fight? They call the Maynard fight a no contest but the Newton fight went to Hughes? As you can see I'm still pissed off 5 years later :b

It was a lot more evident that he was knocked out in the Maynard fight. Hughes was in a guillotine and you couldn't tell he was out until later, but you could tell Maynard was out right away. He couldn't even stand up.

But in the Maynard fight Emerson tapped and that's why the fight was stopped. It was only after the ref stopped the fight b/c of the tap out that they discovered that Maynard was out. So they were going to call Maynard the winner until they saw that he was out and then they talked about it and called it a nc. IMO that stinks b/c Emerson tapped and conceded. If you concede it doesn't matter if the other guy is dead, you should lose.

In the Hughes fight the ref stopped the fight b/c Newton was out. When they tell Hughes they basically have to wake him up and then he runs around celebrating. It is comparable b/c in both fights the guy on his back is obviously out of the fight so the ref stops the fight, then they discover that the guy on top is out too. In the Maynard fight they talked about it and changed the decision, in the Hughes fight his whole team flooded the ring and they were celebrating so much that they were not given the chance to talk about what had happened. IMO these days they have more control over the ring and wouldn't let some team take over like that.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby 5 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:04 am

josebach wrote:

BJ is a complete ass. I lost a lot of respect for him after watching him this season. It was also very poor sportsmanslike to choke Pulver a good 2 seconds after the ref told him to stop. Then his response to the question after the fight?

He may be a great fighter, but the guy's a jerk. I'll be rooting against him no matter who he fights.

BJ did hold onto that choke a bit long...like Royce Gracie back in the early days hanging on to submissions...some longer than BJ's the other night.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 5 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:07 am

Hughes was definitely out in that Newton fight. Too bad ole Matty got a W for it. Either way, he proved the better fighter his next time out with Newton but that still sucked.

Yeah, that EliteXC is supposedly a replay of the PPV. I didn't see the Sat night fight so I'm gonna catch it on SHO...10 pm EST if I remember correctly.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:12 am

This is a hot debate on the fight forums. They way I see it, the main difference is that in Newton v. Hughes 1 you had "simultaneous" win conditions (Hughes' KO and Newton's submission). Whether or not you are in agreement with the judgment call, Hughes by KO is a valid call. In the Emerson v Maynard fight, the ref stopped the fight due to an invalid tap out and you have "simultaneous" situations where the fighters are unable to continue due to injury. The tap out cannot stand so I believe No Contest was the correct call.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:14 am

5 wrote:Hughes was definitely out in that Newton fight. Too bad ole Matty got a W for it. Either way, he proved the better fighter his next time out with Newton but that still sucked.

The most brutal crucifix in the history of the UFC. I love the Brawl in the Hall and watch it at least once a month. :D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk