UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 11, 2007 9:49 am

The challenges are gone but the silly drama is still there. ;-)

But last night there were two fights and there will be two fights again next week.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Fri May 11, 2007 10:04 am

Amazinz wrote:But last night there were two fights and there will be two fights again next week.

Nice! I didn't realize that.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:43 pm

General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Great pics. Tito looks like baby Tarzan. Never realized Sylvia was fat like that prior to MFS. LOL @ Hughes rocking the mullet. That haircut would make Mookie proud. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri May 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks for sharing. The Diaz boys even looked pissed as little kids. :-b

My favorites were the ones of Tito. Maybe his head isn't so big because of steroids. :-?

Look at the size of that boy's head.

It's like an orange on a toothpick.

-You'll give him a complex.
-That's a huge noggin.

It's a virtual planetoid.
Has its own weather system!

:-b
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 11, 2007 7:55 pm

So last night at the local brewery some firefighters in my town who grew up boxing and are now trying MMA said that any top level boxer would beat any top level Pride, K-1, UFC or Bodog (Fedor) fighter in a real street fight. I was polite at first, but they really had a poor opinion of MMA fighers, so I just said it really wasn't worth talking about.

What are some objective points I can express to them other than a few basics about mastering 3+ arts and combining them in to one fighting style is far more effective than solely knowing how to throw fists?

They countered with an assertion that any real boxer would knock out a grappler or wrestler before a take down could happen. I tried telling about Gracie BJJ, Dan Sevren, Matt Hughes etc, and about fighting from the clinch etc and how many great fighters of other arts had tried to master MMA such as BJ Penn. But they weren't hearing it, claiming a shoot fighter or any other style couldn't get close enough and that the best fighters in the world aren't going to MMA and retired ones don't think it's a more effective fighting style than boxing. I tried to explain that any stand up guy does have a punchers chance and could beat the best MMA guy and that chance was about 1 in 10 (that really pissed them off).

The one area I'm personally wondering about is does an average pro boxer have better stand up in a street fight situation than an average MMA striker, and could any MMA fighter in history stand up to a Tyson or Ali in a street fight and how would a rule of no ground game effect the result?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

There is another thread on this too but good luck trying to convince a Boxing-only fan that their sport is inferior to anything. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby brewcrew4you » Sat May 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:So last night at the local brewery some firefighters in my town who grew up boxing and are now trying MMA said that any top level boxer would beat any top level Pride, K-1, UFC or Bodog (Fedor) fighter in a real street fight. I was polite at first, but they really had a poor opinion of MMA fighers, so I just said it really wasn't worth talking about.

What are some objective points I can express to them other than a few basics about mastering 3+ arts and combining them in to one fighting style is far more effective than solely knowing how to throw fists?

They countered with an assertion that any real boxer would knock out a grappler or wrestler before a take down could happen. I tried telling about Gracie BJJ, Dan Sevren, Matt Hughes etc, and about fighting from the clinch etc and how many great fighters of other arts had tried to master MMA such as BJ Penn. But they weren't hearing it, claiming a shoot fighter or any other style couldn't get close enough and that the best fighters in the world aren't going to MMA and retired ones don't think it's a more effective fighting style than boxing. I tried to explain that any stand up guy does have a punchers chance and could beat the best MMA guy and that chance was about 1 in 10 (that really pissed them off).

The one area I'm personally wondering about is does an average pro boxer have better stand up in a street fight situation than an average MMA striker, and could any MMA fighter in history stand up to a Tyson or Ali in a street fight and how would a rule of no ground game effect the result?

There are two ways a boxer can beat a MMA fighter:
1. The boxer hits hard enough that he knocks the MMA guy out when he shoots.
2. The boxer has a fast and accurate enough jab that he can keep the MMA guy off of him the entire fight.

Boxers think that they are the toughest guys around, but look at Kit Cope, for example - world champion kickboxer, and he got the crap pounded out of him multiple times in the UFC because he couldn't defend the takedown...
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun May 13, 2007 12:24 am

brewcrew4you wrote:There are two ways a boxer can beat a MMA fighter:
1. The boxer hits hard enough that he knocks the MMA guy out when he shoots.
2. The boxer has a fast and accurate enough jab that he can keep the MMA guy off of him the entire fight.

Boxers think that they are the toughest guys around, but look at Kit Cope, for example - world champion kickboxer, and he got the crap pounded out of him multiple times in the UFC because he couldn't defend the takedown...

Or 3, have it a boxing match. I'm pretty sure that boxers would have a tough time posting up Shaq or hitting a Zumaya fastball too. MMA and boxing are completely different sports. I'm not much of a gambler anymore, but I would definitely take my chances that a boxer would have a better shot winning a MMA than I would a MMA fighter winning a boxing match.

The lunging jabs and looping overhead hooks that most MMA fighters rely on would get them knocked out fairly quick in a boxing ring. Just like a boxer would be in a world of hurt against a strong takedown fighter like Koscheck or Hughes.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 13, 2007 12:36 am

Of course. But this has all been spurred on by high profile boxers and media personalities (such as Lampley) running their mouths. These are the guys saying they can enter MMA rules and dominate. It wasn't the other way around. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk