UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:10 pm

I really think you're thinking way to much into this. Do your thing, I think this whole discussion is completely ridiculious.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:It's the name that gets me I think. Boxing is boxing. You only use your fists. It's an old sport that is quite simple by definition. That's why I like it. Ultimate Fighting technically isn't "ultimate". It's the "Most Ultimate You Can See" Fighting. :-b

Your football analogy is not a good one. The object of UFC is to beat your opponent. Literally. The object of a linebacker is simply to stop his opponent. Why break a ball carrier's legs? Makes no sense.

I think breaking a ball carriers legs may lead to stopping the ball carrier. I could be way off though..

I can't believe this is even a discussion. You can make this type arguement about anything you want. Nit-picking 101.

The point of UFC is to win your bout while following the guidelines of that sport. Just because they aren't allowed to try to kill someone doesn't mean that they aren't giving 100%, while following the rules of the sport.

I don't think this 'argument', if that's what you want to call it, can be made about every sport. Chances are a UFCer has great knowledge pertaining to all sorts of methods of disabling his opponent. Moves that he knows but will never use.

A football player cannot say this. He has never been coached on how to break his opponent's legs.

There's the difference and why your analogy is not a good one. A UFCer has probably been shown how to kill his opponent, while a football player has not. The UFCer has great control over his skills and harness them in as they pertain to his sport. A football player can fly around aimlessly if he wishes and will not generally be penalized for it or break his opponent's legs.

And I believe I mentioned earlier that this was only another way of looking at it. My way of looking at it. I mentioned that it may very well not be relevant in this discussion.

You haven't played football, or at least on the line, have you?

Also, you don't need to be trained to break a players legs on the line with all the vulnerable positions you expose to each other.

Chances are football players, and any sport in general, have several competitors who know more than the rules.

"A football player can fly around aimlessly if he wishes and will not generally be penalized for it or break his opponent's legs."

That's a generally poor and incorrect statement. Chop blocking, the most effective way to inflict leg injury, is specifically regulated. Any move which causes excessive bodily harm is explicitly regulated by the NFL.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Hmm, who would win.. baseball setting... Conan vs the Gladiator? Crowe gets the bat.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Gonzaga dominated but didn't Cro Cop look disinterested? He was so nonchalant the entire fight. He was taken down and cut on the ground and then on his feet he didn't do much. I was disappointed.

I was even more disappointed by Arlovski. Dana White is probably pissed at him - the booing was mostly for Arlovski who didn't try to do anything. White was probably thinking that if Gonzaga wins then he fights Randy and then Cro Cop fights Arlovski for the right at the next title shot. But maybe they need to bring in another contender? Antonio Nogueira maybe? He was just signed. If Couture beats Gonzaga somebody new should be brought in to challenge.

except for the late KO it was overall pretty disappointing night. It was even sad to see Sinosic get beaten like that. I felt bad for him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Gonzaga dominated but didn't Cro Cop look disinterested?

Definitely. Not to take anything away from Gonzaga but Cro Cop acted like he was going to walk through like he did against Sanchez. Makes me wonder if he brought into his own hype; the whole idea the UFC fighters would be over matched by PRIDE fighters. The craziest aspect of the fight was the stand up. That was a horrible call that clearly (at the time) favored Cro Cop. But if they don't stand them up Cro Cop probably makes it into round two and then who knows what happens.

Mookie4ever wrote:I was even more disappointed by Arlovski.

No doubt. I was incredibly disappointed too. Arlovski has never been the same since his over-aggressiveness got him KOed by Sylvia. :,-(

Mookie4ever wrote:It was even sad to see Sinosic get beaten like that. I felt bad for him.

Gotta love Sinosic. That's why the UFC keeps bringing him back. There is no quit in that dude.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:"A football player can fly around aimlessly if he wishes and will not generally be penalized for it or break his opponent's legs."

That's a generally poor and incorrect statement. Chop blocking, the most effective way to inflict leg injury, is specifically regulated. Any move which causes excessive bodily harm is explicitly regulated by the NFL.

I believe chop-blocking requires aim. ;-)

Many combat moves are designed to disable an opponent by breaking bones, and this is expected because it's simply a part of combat. It may be a part of the ugly underbelly of football, but certainly not expected.

And I weighed 140 tops through high school so, no, I didn't play line. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Amazinz wrote:

Definitely. Not to take anything away from Gonzaga but Cro Cop acted like he was going to walk through like he did against Sanchez. Makes me wonder if he brought into his own hype; the whole idea the UFC fighters would be over matched by PRIDE fighters. The craziest aspect of the fight was the stand up. That was a horrible call that clearly (at the time) favored Cro Cop. But if they don't stand them up Cro Cop probably makes it into round two and then who knows what happens.

No doubt. I was incredibly disappointed too. Arlovski has never been the same since his over-aggressiveness got him KOed by Sylvia. :,-(

Mookie4ever wrote:It was even sad to see Sinosic get beaten like that. I felt bad for him.

Gotta love Sinosic. That's why the UFC keeps bringing him back. There is no quit in that dude.

Yes, Cro Cop did look out of it...no excuse but it almost sounded like his head wasn't in the game (little pun intended)

I was really looking forward to AA pressing the action but sadly, it didn't happen. At least he apologized to the fans and promised to not let it happen again...we'll see next time.

Sinosic had a real good opportunity but couldn't capitalize. He can sure take a punch and is rarely in a boring fight.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

5 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

Yes, Cro Cop did look out of it...no excuse but it almost sounded like his head wasn't in the game (little pun intended)

I was really looking forward to AA pressing the action but sadly, it didn't happen. At least he apologized to the fans and promised to not let it happen again...we'll see next time.

Sinosic had a real good opportunity but couldn't capitalize. He can sure take a punch and is rarely in a boring fight.

YEAH UFC Fans!!!!!

Cro Cop cost me money!!! period, he looked pretty good and I thought he had it there for a minute, then BLAM, right foot to the side of the head and a screwed up knee (that looked ugly).

Tell you I was really impressed by Bisbing (sp) the guy is a beast. I loved him on ultimate fighter and he killed saturday night.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Have you guys seen this story about the U.S. flag and Arlovski? The security at M.E.N. arena apparently has not responded to it yet.

When Arlovski was getting ready to come into the arena for his fight he had two flags; one for Belarus, one from the U.S. M.E.N. security took the U.S. flag from him saying that he could not enter the arena with two flags. But they had just allowed Werdum to enter the arena carrying a Spanish and Brazilian flag! Kind of crazy.

Arlovski wrote:I was very disappointed when security took American flag because I’m fighting from Chicago. I represent Belarus and United States. So I’m sorry guys that I disrespected you.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:Have you guys seen this story about the U.S. flag and Arlovski? The security at M.E.N. arena apparently has not responded to it yet.

When Arlovski was getting ready to come into the arena for his fight he had two flags; one for Belarus, one from the U.S. M.E.N. security took the U.S. flag from him saying that he could not enter the arena with two flags. But they had just allowed Werdum to enter the arena carrying a Spanish and Brazilian flag! Kind of crazy.

Arlovski wrote:I was very disappointed when security took American flag because I’m fighting from Chicago. I represent Belarus and United States. So I’m sorry guys that I disrespected you.

Wow, thats kinda crazy... :-?
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk