UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UFC/PRIDE (Possible Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 pm

No UFC fighter could match up to any Pride fighter. UFC sucks.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:58 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:No UFC fighter could match up to any Pride fighter. UFC sucks.

You're kidding right?

The only place PRIDE has an obvious advantage is Heavyweight.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:36 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:No UFC fighter could match up to any Pride fighter. UFC sucks.

Did you know Tito Ortiz beat Wanderlei Silva? Phil Baroni was 3-5 at the UFC and 3-2 at Pride. Mark Coleman was 6-3 at UFC and 9-4 at PRIDE. I'm sure there are others.

Granted, Pride might have better fighters on average, but with the way UFC is taking off, the paychecks are going to go up. As this happens, more and more of the top fighters are going to be switching. For example, In the Hughes and Gracie fight, both fighters earned a million dollars. That's not peanuts.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:22 pm

Silva got lit up by Vitor Belfort in the UFC also. But to be fair, Silva's style is much more suited to the ring and Pride rules then it is the cage and that was a long time ago. Don't forget one of my favorites... the BS decision of Nog over Ricco Rodriguez. Anyone one who watched the fight knows Ricco won. Chuck Liddell also beat Overeem prior to losing to Rampage. Babalu held his own and lost a decision to Fedor in RINGS. Well I could do this all day... :-b

Anyway, I love both Pride and UFC so I generally avoid this argument. Right now Pride does have a deeper talent pool but the upper echelon of fighters are pretty comparable. Obviously the HW division does not compare although the discrepancy would not be as big had Randelman and Barnett stayed, Mir had not gotten derailed by the accident and Ricco had gotten his head straight. Yeah a lot of IFs, I know. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Amazinz wrote:Anyway, I love both Pride and UFC so I generally avoid this argument. Right now Pride does have a deeper talent pool but the upper echelon of fighters are pretty comparable. Obviously the HW division does not compare although the discrepancy would not be as big had Randelman and Barnett stayed, Mir had not gotten derailed by the accident and Ricco had gotten his head straight. Yeah a lot of IFs, I know. ;-)

I'll agree there. PRIDE has a much deeper talent pool, but I'd argue that the UFC has the top fighter in ever division besides HW.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:17 pm

A little thread necromancy...

How about that HW division now that CroCop and Heath Herring are signed!!! Also, Rampage in LHW div so we get to see Liddell/Page II plus a slew of other new signings. I'm stoked. Great time to be an MMA fan.

The Croation Sensation
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Wow. I had heard about CroCop maybe signing, but I guess with all of the Christmas stuff I've had going on I missed the signing. I'm sure that within the year he'll be the Champ. I predict two warm up fights and then title shot. Rampage is just awesome to watch, his matches always give something exciting. The best thing is they are adding good fighters to their weakest divisions.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 am

How about the Heath Herring debut? I've always been a fan but all of the whining last night really turned me off. :-/

Evans' KO of Salmon was nasty...

Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:43 am

Amazinz wrote:How about the Heath Herring debut? I've always been a fan but all of the whining last night really turned me off. :-/

Evans' KO of Salmon was nasty...

Yeah, Herring didn't impress me much... obviously.

Evans' KO was awesome. Did that guy live? :-o

I liked Evans from the get go and I picked him to beat Brad Imes on the TUF finale even though most people didn't. He's definitely a contender and with his chin, he could make a fight out of it with Liddell. If Quinton Jackson wins his next fight, I'd like to see Quinton vs Evans and the winner of that get a title shot with Liddell.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Some of the MMA sites reported last night that he was in the hospital but that it wasn't life-threatening and there wasn't any risk of permanent damage. I looked around but there hasn't been an update this morning.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk