I have one word for FUSE people, Julia
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:That and horrible emo bands. Face it, modern rock is D-E-A-D. Rap is the new rock and roll. Its what all the kids like and all the parents hate.

Yes, but rock has musical talent within it.

As to the topic, see if you have FUSE. That channel always has rock videos on...you'll get the mainstream videos like Switchfoot, Godsmack, etc. but they'll also throw in some lesser-known, yet good bands like Saosin. Good channel if you want to see modern rock videos. ;-D

Why don't you write a rap song right here then, since it obviously takes no talent. Oh, and make a beat too.

I'm not saying it doesn't take talent, but it doesn't take musical talent. It takes lyrical talent, and even then, you guys give rappers far too much credit than they deserve. The amount of slang that goes into a rap song is so large, that almost anything can be rhymed; when your vocabulary is expanded -- though I shudder by saying that rap artists have an expanded vocabulary...I guess I really mean when the amount of words at your disposal expands -- the permutations you can use in a song increases exponentially. When a rap artist makes a pleasing lyrical song without any slang in it, let me know; until then, it's easier than it looks.

And please, looped five-second guitar rifs and an excess of snare and bass drum may make a good beat in the rap world, but it doesn't mean it's very difficult to assemble.

Most (bad) rock bands cover up lyrical ineptitude with "wicked" guitar solos.

Which would you rather have? Words that make no sense sung to sound good, or someone who can't sing speaking slang to you? If you're going to knock rock bands for 'lyrical ineptitude' don't you have to knock (almost all) rap artists for not being able to sing a lick? And it isn't as if all rock bands don't write good lyrics. Sure, Red Hot Chili Peppers speak gibberish, but there are a good many rock bands who have good lyrics.

For example, take a band like Incubus. They have very good, very original drum beats, along with a good singer, all during good rock songs that aren't all in 4:4 time. This while being able to crank out solid lyrical songs that portray messages using the actual english language. For example, take a look at the lyrics from their song "Megalomaniac":

Incubus wrote:I hear you on the radio
You permeate my screen, its' unkind but
If I met you in a scissor fight
I'd cut off both your wings on principle alone
On principle alone

Hey megalomaniac
You're not Jesus
Yeah, you're no ******* Elvis
Special, as you know yourself, maniac
Step down
Step down

If I were your appendages
I'd hold open your eyes
So you would see
That all of us are heaven sent
There was never meant to be only one
To be only one

Now while I don't agree with the songs message, or at least who it's addressed to, the lyrics are well written. In the verses, the band uses metaphors to make its points, while it drives down its message in the chorus. Incubus even uses the f-word, however they use it as a word of emphasis, instead of a common adjective, as rappers do. Now you can go ahead and there's say not enough rhymes, but I'd rather there be creative english -- metaphor, hyperbole, simile, etc. -- than a handful of rhyme schemes that stretch the pronunciation of certain words, while creating slang in the process. And no, using "hot as a tea-kettle" in every other song doesn't count as creative english; the first time, sure, but after that, find a new one. The same applies for the metaphore magic stick.

And the funny part about the song I chose is that it's a song from the bands worst album. Take a look at "Make Yourself", "Just a Phase", or "I Wish You Were" if you want other lyrical examples from Incubus...and the first two of those aren't in 4:4 time.

Incubus, by the way, only brushes of surface of good modern rock bands; there are plenty abound.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:16 pm

davidmarver wrote:Now while I don't agree with the songs message, or at least who it's addressed to, the lyrics are well written.

So is it addressed to Elvis, or Jesus?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Those vidoes are cool I don't much like emo though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby davidmarver » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm

Coppermine wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Now while I don't agree with the songs message, or at least who it's addressed to, the lyrics are well written.

:-b Neither
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:48 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

:-b Neither

Oh, i thought that was clever of me...

Also, i hate Emo too... what's with this Panic! At the Disco stuff?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:Also, i hate Emo too... what's with this Panic! At the Disco stuff?

I've never heard of their music, but I always hear the words Panic at the Disco bounced around by some of the emo kids I know (such a weird gang of lads I tell ya).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:35 pm

There was a really funny thing about emo kids cutting themselves I saw and I can't remember what it is.

This ones funny till i find the other one

did you hear about that new emo pizza??? It cuts itself!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:58 pm

acsguitar wrote:There was a really funny thing about emo kids cutting themselves I saw and I can't remember what it is.

This ones funny till i find the other one

did you hear about that new emo pizza??? It cuts itself!

:-b I've seen something like that somewhere, but the picture was in color.

Emo pizza. :-b Cheer up, Emo Kid!
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Previous

Return to General Talk